Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What a joke sad smiley

Posted by njnydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What a joke sad smiley
March 05, 2013 02:13PM
I've been working a new job for about a year now. No complaints. Making a decent living. Due to company being short-staffed though, vacation was tough to come by. Put in for a week last month and they approved it. This coming Saturday was gonna be the kickoff to 9 straight days of detecting for me. Just my luck though, a late season storm is gonna blow through here in Northern NJ. 4 to 8 inches. @&#*!!! So, my F75 ltd. has boost mode as you guys know. I still wanna go out. Doable?

Just curious as to what you guys think? Do any of ya'll go hunting after a fairly big storm?? Console me...PLEASE!!!

What a waste of a weeks vacation sad smiley
Re: What a joke sad smiley
March 05, 2013 03:01PM
I'm in Alexandra bay ny. We measure snow in feet I can pretty much look across the st.Lawrence and see Canada. So far this year the ground has had 10+ inches of frost so digging is a bit rough but in past years iv detected well into Feb. Through the snow lot less frost in the ground past couple years how's you're winter been? Is the ground frozen? Do you live on the Atlantic? Do the tides rise and fall? Bet when the tides out wet beach won't have snow and would be very easy to do I guess what I'm saying is if the ground is digabled GO For IT. Enjoy the vacation. Find find find.
March 05, 2013 03:01PM
I would think personal safety is the main concern winds and waves can cause all kinds of problems...of course second would be not damaging an expensive unit due to rain or blowing sand and such.. Patience is a virtue and imagine depending on the situation you may get in hours but certainly not days....your call if its doable or not....
March 05, 2013 03:17PM
Not going out during the storm guys. I ain't THAT diehard, lol. But the ground will have a minimum of 4" of heavy wet snow cover after the storm blows through. Which means I won't be hunting "naked" ground during my vaca sad smiley This weekends supposed to be around 55 degrees, so, temps ain't the problem. Just the ground being blanketed with so much white crap.

To dig or not to dig, that is the question? Is it even worth it??

Just curious what some of you guys have done before after a decent snowfall...

P.S. - No, ground isn't frozen here. Not super soft but surely diggable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 03:19PM by njnydigger.
March 05, 2013 03:18PM
Go to the sledding hills, dig only the targets in the snow. You would be surprised at the amount of jewelry lost when people play in the snow.

Also, as a added bonus you will find ALOT of clad (and car keys). Quarters will always outnumber all other coins found because when people sit down in their sleds, the heaviest coins fall out first. Look at the bottom of the hills first especially where the kids build mounds of snow to jump the sleds off this is where lots of wipeouts happen.

Make lemons into lemonade.
March 05, 2013 03:43PM
>Go to the sledding hills, dig only the targets in the snow.
Went there last weekend. Nothing. Snow is about 50-70cm here in Ottawa.
March 05, 2013 04:02PM
Guess a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do winking smiley I'm gonna grit my teeth & hunt through the snow. Don't mean to sound so negative guys, but, haven't had the time to seriously hunt for quite a while now. This vaca was gonna be pure bliss. A cruel blow. Talk about Murphy's Law, lol.
March 05, 2013 04:33PM
No prob. Haven't hunted since winter set in, 3 months ago. Next week though headin south for some well deserved R&R and some relic hunting w the "Florida expert".
March 05, 2013 04:40PM
Are you alluding to Mr. Tom D. himself? If so, you're a lucky dog! Gonna be like getting an MBA in a weekend, lol.

My luck??? I'd get to Florida & it would snow smiling smiley

Have fun!!!
March 05, 2013 04:56PM
: )

Thanks!
March 05, 2013 05:25PM
hey AAron, hope he lets you use that gold. We'd like your first hand report!
March 05, 2013 05:42PM
Why? Wasn't the "Rocket Scientist" review good enough?
March 05, 2013 05:59PM
Can you cancel your days and take them later?
March 05, 2013 07:04PM
Jump in a plane and fly down to one of those nice warm islands , grab yourself a foxy lady to go hunting with , and explore the island !!.....You got 9 days for the entire year .....Make the best of it !!.....Snow ? .....What Snow !!.....smiling smiley ......JIm
March 05, 2013 07:40PM
synthnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jump in a plane and fly down to one of those nice
> warm islands , grab yourself a foxy lady to go
> hunting with , and explore the island !!.....You
> got 9 days for the entire year .....Make the best
> of it !!.....Snow ? .....What Snow !!.....smiling smiley
> ......JIm

Last time I was out detecting for a few hours a very nice woman approached me & asked if I found anything. She seemed to be flirting with me, Synthnut. Not my type though. Guess my discrimination was a bit too high, LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 07:41PM by njnydigger.
March 06, 2013 02:46AM
njnjdigger, I was just down in jersey last weekend for a wedding, didn't bring the detector, because I thought you guys had snow, I saw no snow, we got 1 to 2 feet of snow on the ground up here and I hunt year round as long as the dirt isn't frozen, 4 inches is nothing, dress warm and try to stay dry, if you have good sites you will pick up stuff, if all else fails , have fun
March 06, 2013 03:16AM
Caretaker Wrote:
> njnjdigger, I was just down in jersey last weekend
> for a wedding, didn't bring the detector, because
> I thought you guys had snow, I saw no snow, we got
> 1 to 2 feet of snow on the ground up here and I
> hunt year round as long as the dirt isn't frozen,
> 4 inches is nothing, dress warm and try to stay
> dry, if you have good sites you will pick up
> stuff, if all else fails , have fun

Thanks for lifting my spirits caretaker!!! I'm gonna take your advice. As the saying goes; "even the worst day detecting is better than the best day at work".
March 06, 2013 03:28AM
Guess my discrimination was a bit too high, LOL

That was the problem .....You should be in " All Models " and DIG EVERYTHING !!!........LOL !!!.....
March 06, 2013 07:03AM
Fly south!!!...If you can't do that then buy a dry suit. You can stand water, wind, and cold no matter where you are. Look on ebay for a used one and save a bundle. Above all have fun and leave the married women alone.
March 06, 2013 09:13AM
no chance for you to score this vaycay in the spring?
pretty tough this time of year with all ya have to contend with!
just sayin'

j.t.
March 06, 2013 12:19PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> no chance for you to score this vaycay in the
> spring?
> pretty tough this time of year with all ya have to
> contend with!
> just sayin'
>
> j.t.

Yes, jmary, I probably, maybe, quite possibly COULD get my vaca changed, but, I really DO need my vaca now! Lol. Been working a year straight at new job & only missed 2 days. I've had a cold/flu three separate times already & the amount of job related stress is through the roof. So, I might keel over & drop before my new vaca comes in smiling smiley Secondly, I sold my Tom tuned 1021 CZ last year cause needed the cash sad smiley Picked up another Tom tuned unit on fleabay but broke the faceplate on the unit, so, only been out for a total of maybe 10 hours of detecting since last year. I need my fix! Bad!!! Lol. At this point, I wanna get out so bad I don't care if I have to dig through 18" of elephant dung. Snow be damned!!!
March 06, 2013 12:31PM
nydigger wrote: "I really DO need my vaca now!"

I HEARD THAT!
March 06, 2013 04:30PM
Not to wish your life away but when your retired...always tomorrow( well lets hope anyway)....
Have hunted snow sledding hills with a sand scoop and found a lot of clad but all the jewelry was junk....
Always the chance for a nice ring though...cold wet hands make fingers shrink and gloves off and on can lead to a nice find....
If you ever get the chance even in the summer try a ski resort especially an old one as they produce....
March 07, 2013 01:22AM
All this fretting over nothing. Seemed the weather forecasters were wrong...once again. The storm is blowing out to sea smiling smiley We might get an inch or so here in Northern NJ. I swear, I should've been a meteorologist. What other job enables you to be wrong so often & still get paid?!?! Lol. From now on I'll just stick my head out the window to get the forecast...probably more accurate. Glad they were wrong though, now I get to go TECTIN!!! Thanks for all the good suggestions guys. I'm gonna hit the dirt hard with the F75 SE. I'll report back soon. Over & out...
March 07, 2013 01:42AM
njnjydigger, congrats on the weatherguessers being wrong again!

Aaron, are you doing the epihany training?

im looking forward to an invite from tom some day!!!!!
chuck.
March 07, 2013 06:20AM
Congrats Aaron on getting to train with Tom. I stopped at Cocoa Beach for a few days last year hoping to run into him on the beach while I was detecting, but no joy. I did however find one ladies diamond ring while there along with some silver. Nice to get to those warm beaches in the cold parts of the year.