Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dug a nice long Gun Barrel Today (VIDEO)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dug a nice long Gun Barrel Today (VIDEO)
March 05, 2013 02:31AM
also found a neat brass padlock and a Nose cap off a rifle....Started out with an intact 1880's bottle...

Gotta appreciate the iron relics especially a percussion muzzle loading gun barrel.could very well be civil war vintage from the spot it came out of..Confederate cavalry loved shotgun's and its right were they were supposed to be...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: Dug a nice long Gun Barrel Today (VIDEO)
March 05, 2013 02:48AM
The lock looks like a Confederate lock with the Stars and Bars pattern. lol
March 05, 2013 03:30AM
Cool as heck!
March 05, 2013 04:46AM
That is crazy cool,congrats.
March 05, 2013 05:39AM
Looks like two crossed rifles on that lock.
March 05, 2013 11:24AM
like otherlggohead said looks like two crossed rifles on the lock, great as always!
March 05, 2013 12:34PM
Nice finds Keith, ............Mark
March 05, 2013 12:36PM
Cool digs Kieth

love the lock and the bottle

must have been a traveling medicine man from NY in town selling some cure-all' tonic to the locals!

HH
March 05, 2013 02:03PM
Dang Keith, must be nice to have a place w nice stuff like that laying around!

Thanks for the cool video.

Aaron
March 05, 2013 10:27PM
Thank's for the feedback fella's..

I was happy to capture some masking on the camera...

Hey Aaron...I can tell that house has been hunted already....Everyone I come across usually has been worked on already...that's the curse of living in a Civil war area...everywhere has been hunted to death...

What I did find was probably masked form other metal detector's...

There probably coins in there but the iron is huge...I dug 6 axes...and 3 clothing iron' and tons of big plow points and did not put a dent in the large iron...No telling whats lying there but it will take me awhile to work it down...

I think the muzzle loading shotgun is of the 1840's style ..they were out of production for the most part by 1870 in most factories..

The pad lock has a pat date of 1892 so it's a little new...

I managed to find the exact one on the net..I like my patina one better.

The nose cap is off a Kentucky style Rifle...so its early...

The bottle is National Remedy Co. New York founded in 1884
The rounder lip design is pre 1890

And the shotgun seems earlier than the civil war..

So there we can date the site from Kentucky rifle to 1892 pad lock at least...

"Created in the 1730s in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, by skillful immigrant craftsmen from Germany and Switzerland, the Kentucky rifle was the supreme implement created as a state of the art, ultimately for over a century, until the coming of the "cap and ball" percussion rifle in 1840"..

I Know my area was not homesteaded till 1832..County creation from Cherokee land....so I have a strong assurance this house was in use from the earliest maybe 1832 and have yet to find anything associated with post 1900....Yet...

if it holds no civil war relics it should hold at least some seated coin's... But it will take awhile to find them...

Gotta love the research...

Keith
March 05, 2013 10:39PM
That lock is cool Keith, and worth some $$$, now all you gotta do is find the key, unless someone else has.

I love your videos, keep um comin!
March 05, 2013 11:09PM
Hey Aaron could you imagine trying to find an iron key like that in a bed of iron..LOL!!!

Not sure what that Lock is worth ..???Small probablyy common

But this lock here I dug a few years back is valued at $5,000.00

Its an East Tennessee Virgina Georgia RR..

it's was a small local line from 1866-1882..it was bought out by Southern Rail...Guess they did not need the old named Locks anymore after that...

it still has the chain on it that went to the track switch gear...

Solid brass huge first size....made by Dayton lock company ...Style is 1860's so it's early..Only one Known like this...there's other's but there the 1870-1880 type...More round..compared to my find, the Mickey Mouse type...

Not trying to brag about it but just letting people Know that railroad relics are super pricey especially the older rarer rail lock's..

Keith
March 06, 2013 12:23AM
dam what sweet clean ups on the finds really love that brass lock you recently found
March 06, 2013 12:37AM
NICE!!!
March 06, 2013 07:21AM
WOW!... Keith, you are finding stuff on a regular basis like guys did forty years ago. Great sites and a great relic hunter have combined. I am happy to see that there are still sites that have not been pounded to death.
March 06, 2013 02:15PM
Keith, you live in a heavenly place for metal detecting. I MUCH prefer the woods detecting as 'old yards in town'. Those are some beauty's that you saved there!!!!
March 06, 2013 06:43PM
Thanks but its not like it use to be but at least theres places to hunt....

I live in a Civil War hot spot, but that's good and bad everywhere has been hunted except some yards..

I am not a big fan of yard hunting, though I have made some great and easier finds in yards.

I prefer the long forgotten sites in the woods..like the site in the video you would not know a house was there unless you had a metal detector...

But seriously there's more sites to hunt in any area you live in than you will ever be able to hunt in your lifetime...locating them is the trick...lol.

We are always looking for that next spot though...

I remember about 5 years ago I took a drive into Tennessee. Blue springs area. Man I was up there one day and got on some fantastic spots...got on one site in the woods and there was eagle buttons and bullets quite plentiful. Then found another site and got some beautiful billiard tokens, octagon and round and good for one drink and 12&1/2 CENTS IN TRADE imagine if you lived there what fun you would have exploring that local!

Main point is there's an awful lot of places to hunt in the U.S. just gotta go looking.

There's more in the ground than has ever been found to date I believe that

Thanks

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:34AM by Keith Southern.
March 06, 2013 07:46PM
Nice finds Keith!