Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Long Range Locator. Fact or...

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Long Range Locator. Fact or...
December 20, 2017 03:55PM
Bravo Sierra? Never owned one.
Re: Long Range Locator. Fact or...
December 20, 2017 04:09PM
Some swear by them, others think it's a scam. I never used one but I saw a great video.

This guy was at an abandoned military baseball field. He used the locator, marked the spots, then went over them with the detector. Some of these marked spots had good targets(silver coins). Others had junk, and some had nothing. I am not sure how or if they work, but it is food for thought.
December 20, 2017 04:15PM
I don't know of THAT particular model or brand. Never heard of "bravo" "sierra" in conjunction with LRL.

However, if anyone else here tries to come on and tell you that LRL, in general, is hocus pocus snake oil junk: Don't believe them. If they tried them (or are quoting someone else who tested one or took it apart to analyze), that merely means A) they didn't practice long enough, cool smiley weren't using it right. C) didn't understand the innards of what they were looking at. And if they try to 'diss the LRL's by pointing to lack of show & tell finds from the users, well, that too is inconclusive. Because they can't show you. For fear of claim-jumpers, the IRS, thieves, etc.... But rest assured that the LRL crowd are finding goodies and caches all the time. It's just that they don't need to prove anything to you.
December 20, 2017 04:18PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... but it is food for thought.

The only "food for thought" that comes to my mind, if I saw a video like that, is: That ANYWHERE you turn on a metal detector, where mankind has habitated, lived, recreated, worked, etc.... you will (gasp) find metal. Is that a surprise ? Heck, maybe even a goodie.

So when you see a pix of a guy posing next to a jar of coins he supposedly found, perhaps it's legit. But it's often a factor of waving the thing around "enough likely looking ruins" (esp. if you already have a lead or tip that something was suspected to be buried there). Then pull out the detector to "pinpoint" (that's the ticket), and dig enough holes around those likely looking ruins, and ... presto, you find something ? And the wand was to be credited for that ? I don't think so.
December 20, 2017 04:32PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ... but it is food for thought.
>
>
> The only "food for thought" that comes to my mind,
> if I saw a video like that, is: That ANYWHERE you
> turn on a metal detector, where mankind has habita
> ted, lived, recreated, worked, etc.... you will (g
> asp) find metal. Is that a surprise ? Heck, ma
> ybe even a goodie.
>
> So when you see a pix of a guy posing next to a ja
> r of coins he supposedly found, perhaps it's legit
> . But it's often a factor of waving the thing ar
> ound "enough likely looking ruins" (esp. if you al
> ready have a lead or tip that something was suspec
> ted to be buried there). Then pull out the detect
> or to "pinpoint" (that's the ticket), and dig enou
> gh holes around those likely looking ruins, and ..
> . presto, you find something ? And the wand was t
> o be credited for that ? I don't think so.

I never used one so I can't say either way.
December 20, 2017 04:41PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> I don't know of THAT particular model or brand.
> Never heard of "bravo" "sierra" in conjunction wit
> h LRL.
>
I believe that is secret code for Bull Feces....... LOL
December 20, 2017 05:01PM
Dang, I missed Christmas and New Years Day...... somehow I've been shot all the way to April 1st.
December 20, 2017 05:15PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Dang, I missed Christmas and New Years Day...... s
> omehow I've been shot all the way to April 1st.

Your lucky. The Equinox may be out by then! Oh brother!
December 20, 2017 05:20PM
LoL = the laughs on this forum in re to topics never cease - better than reality TV grinning smiley
December 20, 2017 05:32PM
Asking if a LRD works is like believing in Santa....my goodness.
No one has ever proven they work, of course with greed many will sell it like Feebay.
December 20, 2017 05:54PM
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Check this out from the past.
December 20, 2017 06:15PM
!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2017 06:19PM by sanjuro.
December 20, 2017 06:23PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:

> I never used one so I can't say either way.

Beyonder-PA, despite never having used one, yes you CAN say "either way". I can tell you assuredly, that anywhere mankind has been for any length of time: If you turn on a metal detector, you will find metal. Whether or not someone waved a wand prior to turning on the detector.
December 20, 2017 07:03PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
>
> > I never used one so I can't say either way.
>
> Beyonder-PA, despite never having used one, yes yo
> u CAN say "either way". I can tell you assuredly,
> that anywhere mankind has been for any length of t
> ime: If you turn on a metal detector, you will fi
> nd metal. Whether or not someone waved a wand p
> rior to turning on the detector.

Then that guy beat the odds quite a few times. Finding a silver quarter at the exact spot where the LRL said it would be? Or toward your side, Finding nothing where he said there would be something.
December 20, 2017 09:45PM
If I plant a quarter, I MIGHT be able to find it, too. HH jim tn
December 20, 2017 09:56PM
I used to think there were some pretty ok folks here and still do.....but when there are a few posts that suggest the LRL could work they have lost some respect.
December 20, 2017 09:58PM
jim tn Wrote:
> If I plant a quarter, I MIGHT be able to find it,
> too. HH jim tn

yea I watch Youtube alsowinking smiley
December 20, 2017 11:06PM
FACT FACT FACT..... OVER THE YEARS ON THE OCCASION I MIGHT FIND A NICE GOLD RING BY SOME SUPERNATURAL POWER THAT BE MY WIFE CALLS AND SEND ME SOME PICS OF WHAT YOU FOUND SO FAR... LRL THEORY PROVEN
December 20, 2017 11:19PM
Who was the guy years ago who had a big reward offer too the first person who could find his certified planted targets with a LRL ? Last I remember he never had too pay the reward after many years of offering......
December 21, 2017 12:08AM
There are lots of unproven things detectorists are told. Those who automatically believe,without research, may not want to face the truth. -- " There is an official Metal Detecting Code of Ethics " - " Walking past a ' No Trespassing ' sign would mean they are trespassing " - " All U.S. Post Offices are on Federal property " - " It is illegal to detect an unmarked HUD lot " - " Bringing attention to issues is only done to stir the pot " smiling smiley
December 21, 2017 12:12AM
silverhound Wrote:
> Who was the guy years ago who had a big reward off
> er too the first person who could find his certifi
> ed planted targets with a LRL ? Last I remember he
> never had too pay the reward after many years of o
> ffering......

That would be Carl Moreland, lead engineer at Fisher Labs, goes by Geotech on the forums and has his own forum by the same name.....
December 21, 2017 12:52AM
Like I said I never used one nor do I even want to. The man asked a question I gave an answer.
December 21, 2017 01:10AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Then that guy beat the odds quite a few times. Fin
> ding a silver quarter at the exact spot where the
> LRL said it would be? Or toward your side, Finding
> nothing where he said there would be something.

Hmmm, interesting. Got a link to the video ? It might be as Jim TN says: A planted quarter(s). And don't think that means I'm suggesting that the guy was dis-honest. On the contrary, it might be very sincere. But the problem with planting a quarter, and then having your wand point at it, is that there can be subconscious tilting. So that NOT EVEN THE TESTER is aware of this bias.

Example: An owner of a Mexican restaurant I go to frequently, found out I was into metal detecting. He launched into an explanation of dowsing, how they can find $$ that way in Mexico. He proceeded to bend a coat hanger into a "L" shape, and demonstrate how it would point to his cash register. I suggested to him that it's only subconscious tilting. And that the test could not be replicated @ double blind. (The fellow conceded the point, BTW smiling smiley) So too might the same factors be at play for other such demonstrations of LRL wands..

IF the targets were TRULY un-planted, and with no other explanations at play, then I'd wonder why no one ever took up Carl Moreland or James Randi at their reward offers ? I mean, I know all the EXCUSES they give (ie.: rigged testing, unfair standards, bad vibes in the room, blah blah). But ...at a certain point, you have wonder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 01:15AM by Tom_in_CA.
December 21, 2017 01:14AM
silverhound Wrote:
> Who was the guy years ago who had a big reward off
> er too the first person who could find his certifi
> ed planted targets with a LRL ? Last I remember he
> never had too pay the reward after many years of o
> ffering......

Oh but if only it were that simple. On the surface, that would seem to put an end to the question. Right ? To do a double blind test, performed with careful controls, by un-biased people, etc.. .etc... And therefore once-for-all putting an end to the silliness. But alas, no, it never does. The proponents will roll out scores of reasons why the tests are unfair, rigged, etc.... And if they fail (show nothing but random odds), they will say that there were sun-spots or solar flares that day. Or a breeze. Or someone had a magnet in their pocket closeby, etc...

Or they simply scoff and say "we have nothing to prove". Or to point out: "Hey, you don't always find a gold coin every time you go md'ing, so WHY THE DOUBLE STANDARD with LRL then ? " It's never ending, and you'll never convince them .
December 21, 2017 02:29AM
Complete Bravo Sierra, Mr. Goat. Been investigating them for almost 20 yrs, own better than 50 of them. Absolute scam, through & through.
December 21, 2017 03:10AM
Geotech Wrote:
> Complete Bravo Sierra, Mr. Goat. Been investigatin
> g them for almost 20 yrs, own better than 50 of th
> em. Absolute scam, through & through.

Beyond a scam!

Like someone else said here though = "a sucker born every minute"!
December 21, 2017 04:38AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Geotech Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Complete Bravo Sierra, Mr. Goat. Been investigat
> in
> > g them for almost 20 yrs, own better than 50 of
> th
> > em. Absolute scam, through & through.
>
>
> Beyond a scam!
>
> Like someone else said here though = "a sucker bor
> n every minute"!

+1thumbs down
P T Barnum said that!
December 21, 2017 04:41AM
Still holds true.
December 21, 2017 04:52AM
[www.youtube.com]

Here is the vid I was talking about. Did he plant them? I have no clue as I haven't studied the video. Again I nether believe nor dis-believe that they work. I have no proof either way.

Another point. I am a big skeptic when it comes to certain things when the warrant my attention. However, I find it hard to arbitrarily dismiss or accept things without investigating them first. The concept of LRL sounds absolutely insane however, I don't know either way.

Explain luck. There isn't a person alive that says luck doesn't exist. You can't prove it doesn't, however, we know that there are people that can walk down the street and find a million dollar lottery ticket, and others who spend a million on a ticket and never won.If you say luck exists, or chance. or fate, then why not a LRL? Couldn't that be someone who believe the LRL will work, so much so, that they push their luck to greater levels?

If a person walks into a bank with a ski mask on, are they there to rob the bank? You don't know for sure. Just because it doesn't work for some, deosn't mean it won't work for all.
December 21, 2017 05:12AM
OK I admit they work, they can find and take your money from any believergrinning smiley a hundred miles away.
A quick google shows they are fakes.

Cheers