Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX 3030 High Trash or Ferrous Coin

Posted by fsdigital12 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX 3030 High Trash or Ferrous Coin
September 06, 2013 09:28PM
I know many have said Ferrous Coin open screen is the mode to use, however I seem to dig a lot of rusty nails with FC, there's usually a good visual ID 12-40 etc and a blip of a high tone so I think "iron next to a coin" and nope, it's a rusty nail.

Keep in mind I'm using open disc.

High trash doesn't seem to have this problem...

Any way to reduce this iron falsing and still use FC?
Re: CTX 3030 High Trash or Ferrous Coin
September 06, 2013 11:18PM
When you hit a target in fc, sweep 90 degrees and see if your numbers stay tight 12-40, 12-41, etc. If you get good tight numbers on a target at 90 as well as your pinpointing exactly where your high tone is sounding off then its worth digging.

That being said, I rarely use ferrous coin. Too much falsing in my dirt, and fc really loves broken square nails. I almost always run ground coin with no disc or with 27 ferrous on down disc'd out with manual sensitivity about 8 points above suggested. I seldom look at the screen and just let the machine talk to me.

Ground coin separates just as well with lots less falsing. Even with the great visual id of the CTX, the tones are what make the machine really stand out IMO.
September 07, 2013 12:16AM
Will try gc more.

Do you enable ground balance every time in this mode? And ground balance?

Thanks!
September 07, 2013 02:28AM
I never ground balance. In testing if you get it wrong (no way to know you've screwed it up) the depth and sensitivity suffers immensely. Unless you have horrid soil you can leave this one alone.

As for iron falsing - those nails should be giving a very short audio blip and an irregular and bouncing TID. A coin at any depth should provide a more regular repeatable audio (or visual ID). You can't eliminate all nails - but they tend to sound uniquely nail-like and become easier to ignore over time.

As for patterns on the CTX, I've been using the following with Ground-Coin:

The tones for the top divisions from left to right are: 204Hz (Low) / 848Hz (med-High) / 556Hz (med-Low) / 1020Hz (High) and for the bottom 75 Hz (Very Low)
The DISC pattern (black squares) is switchable between open (No DISC) and the pattern below (same as above but harder to see):

The audio is easily distinquished so you only have to glance at the screen. I have another somewhat similar pattern with Ferrous-Coin. Haven't found a tremendous difference between them. I do like the combined mode and rarely use TTF anymore.
September 07, 2013 04:00AM
Great post Johnny, I'm going to compare my current settings to yours

Thanks
September 07, 2013 01:13PM
Awesome post johnny

Thanks everyone for the tips smiling smiley

Going out there shortly to test these out!