Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer SE Pro upgrade to E-Trac Question

Posted by Hungarian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer SE Pro upgrade to E-Trac Question
January 26, 2014 07:03PM
Is it worth an extra $250 to upgrade from an SE Pro to an E-Trac? Can the E-Tracs faster separation give up more finds? Opinions appreciated.
Re: Explorer SE Pro upgrade to E-Trac Question
January 26, 2014 08:32PM
I'd say for a solid Explorer user, if you can afford it, would be to purchase a CTX as an upgrade. I have read that many Explorer users didn't like the E-trac with the ease of the 12 line....they preferred the 'S'' curve for id.
I have used both and the E was easier to learn. Both are great machines but not convinced the E is much of an upgrade.
January 26, 2014 09:56PM
I'm with ozzie...for a new user, the E-Trac may be easier to learn, at first. BUT, if you have learned your Explorer, I'm not of the opinion that the E-Trac is much of an upgrade over an SE Pro. I have used both -- though to be fair I didn't use the E-Trac enough to know all of its subtleties, as I have with the Explorer. That being said, it was easy for me to switch between the two; they are similar in how they behave, how they react to the same buried target; neither is any deeper than the other in my opinion and both share alot of "DNA."

As ozzie said, the CTX is likely an upgrade, though quite different than an Explorer OR an E-Trac. But I just don't find the E-Trac to be much superior to an Explorer.

Hope that helps,

Steve
January 26, 2014 10:17PM
Thanks guys. I talked to a couple of dealers today and got nowhere. Seems they can't, won't or aren't allowed to come down in their prices.
wjs
January 26, 2014 11:10PM
I would keep calling around. You should be able to find someone to deal with you. I remember when I was looking to buy an etrac I was able to even talk Kellyco down several hundred dollars.
January 27, 2014 01:35AM
wjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would keep calling around. You should be able to
> find someone to deal with you. I remember when I
> was looking to buy an etrac I was able to even
> talk Kellyco down several hundred dollars.

What can a new Etrac be had for (a good price) these days?
January 27, 2014 02:18AM
I bought the Explorer SE first, took 40 hours till it started clicking for me. I found the Etrac a lot easier to learn probably because it was similar to to the Explorer and more user friendly.
I did like the silver tones better on the Explorer than the Etrac and CTX.
January 27, 2014 03:55AM
I think the tones changed from the explorers to the Etrac. It seems to be the main complaint, explorer guys like the tones better then the etrac tones.
January 27, 2014 11:40AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wjs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would keep calling around. You should be able
> to
> > find someone to deal with you. I remember when
> I
> > was looking to buy an etrac I was able to even
> > talk Kellyco down several hundred dollars.
>
>
> What can a new Etrac be had for (a good price)
> these days?

Right dealer you can get a new one for under 1300.00 I would think.
February 02, 2014 11:54AM
Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting a used Explorer SE Pro with a 2 year warranty in excellent condition. I couldn't justify the cost of the Etrac or Ctx until I get caught up on some bills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 11:59AM by Hungarian.
February 02, 2014 03:21PM
Great to hear, Hungarian. An excellent machine...

Holler if you have any questions...

Steve
February 02, 2014 09:20PM
Hi Hungarian, If your talking deep turf silver,I think its hard to beat the explorer. The best turf hunter I know of out here( Captain Fi) finds up to 700 silver coins a year out of pounded SoCal parks with his. I also saw he recently paired it with the ultimate 13 coil with amazing results. Of course,experience with it is the key. I think the dude has been hunting 8 hours a day,every day,for years with it. Good luck!!
February 04, 2014 01:33AM
Good luck with your new Explorer
February 04, 2014 01:36AM
Thanks guys, I made need to pick your brains before too long.