Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which one to buy Impact, Kruzer or Equinox?

Posted by Frank in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
February 03, 2018 02:26PM
Have used Racer 2.
Re: Which one to buy Impact, Kruzer or Equinox?
February 03, 2018 03:03PM
I've paid for an Equinox. If you want an Impact, you'll probably be able to buy a used one for about half the price of an Equinox in the near future.
February 03, 2018 03:08PM
LoL

Loaded question!
February 03, 2018 03:31PM
Frank in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have used Racer 2.

Frank,
Your question here is well, how can Imsay this (please don't take offense) is faulty.
Why?

Two of the models listed in your question are still in prerelease stage, no actual purchasers have used thus far or even posted about.
So could an actual tester even answer your question or recommend one of the 2 detectors still not in folks hands? No Would be unethical.

Actually and I believe this.
When a person is an actual user/tester of a model detector during prerelease, they shouldn't be recommending buying period even if after detector releases.
Now, a tester can share their experiences and how the "tested" detector compares to other models, and you Frank an interested party can gauge their info provided. But it will be you that makes the purchase decision.

Now for someone who has no connection to a detector model in pre release stage, they are not bound in my opinion to what Imsaid above.

Hope this makes sense.

Btw, ever hear Mr Danksowski say here, go out and buy Fisher F75 detector, when looking back through the forum history here? I haven't seen. And likely for good reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 03:37PM by Sod-buster.
February 03, 2018 04:01PM
Why take anyone's word for it, buy all 3 of them and run them against each other. Then sell the ones you don't like at ½ price.....LOL
February 03, 2018 04:16PM
Hombre that sounds like a plan, which one do you want to buy at half price?smileys with beer
February 03, 2018 04:18PM
Hombre Wrote:
> Why take anyone's word for it, buy all 3 of them and run them against each other. Then sell the ones you don't like at ½ price.....LOL

That's the way I do it drinking smiley
February 03, 2018 04:51PM
Frank....... it depends on you specific application(s).
February 03, 2018 05:06PM
I bought a new riding mower. Had to. I can make you a good deal on an Impact with three coils and wireless black headphones. Barely used.
February 03, 2018 05:54PM
Same boat as you. A lot of choices right now and want to make a good choice..

If it helps, I hunt beach and surf so I need the waterproof and light weight features...Wireless also helps...

BTW I do not think that your question is faulty
February 03, 2018 06:04PM
If you currently have a racer 2 the equinox would complement it well. Kruzer and Impact would be somewhat redundant.
February 03, 2018 06:18PM
Frank in NH Wrote:
> Hombre that sounds like a plan, which one do you w
> ant to buy at half price?smileys with beer

Hi Frank...Do you have a nice ol' analog machine you would part with?
February 03, 2018 07:49PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why take anyone's word for it, buy all 3 of them
> and run them against each other. Then sell the one
> s you don't like at ½ price.....LOL
>
> That's the way I do it drinking smiley

Buy high---sell low---that's THE KEY!!!!thumbs downwinking smiley
February 03, 2018 08:41PM
No one detector will please everyone. Everyone is always looking for greener pastures.
Best to buy and try.
Would it not be a real dilemma if White's, Garrett, Fisher, Teknetics just announced a similar concept design detector like the Nox with similar features and features like the Impact, Kruzer and suggested similar performance.
Maybe they could call home via your cellphone, post pictures on forums as you dig up the targets and relay your GPS position to hackers who will clean out your spot the next day. Big Brother will know where you found that pot of gold..................
Not to forget to mention that your detecting can be interrupted with a unwanted phone call that ends the joy of the days hunt. "Honey the kids are home, there's 5 spiders on the wall..............I'm making dinner and I am out of.......need you home right now...."

Oh yeah, the new Quest Pro is releasing to dealers next week. Testers in Europe who have the production model give it high praises for it.

I'll be playing with the pre-production Multi-Kruzer this year, like what it has to offer.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 03, 2018 09:11PM
I can only comment on 2 of these machine as I have not spend any time with the third machine so I will withhold all comments as far as recommendations. I will say this is a very exciting time to be into detecting. We have come a looooooong way from the old BFO and analog machines and the technology gets better and better as each day goes by. If you took one of these new machines and went back in time 35 years there would be a lot of guys accusing you of witchcraft LOL! But think of all the soilver you would find LOL!
Buying a detector is really a personal choice, no one else really knows the type of detecting you do, the areas you hunt or the conditions you hunt under. As for me, I LOVE detecting! I buy all the machines I can afford and I use them. If they do not add value to my arsenal then down the line they go and a replacement is found.
There is even rumblings of a completely new technology that will be coming out in the near future that is said will leave the detecting community in awe. But we have heard that before so only time will tell. I am very anxious to see just what this Equinox is capable of, is the hype true? will it fall flat in its face? Will there be any first run issues? if so will the company correct any issues that arise in a timely manner. And not just to single out Minelab as I have these same questions for all new machine coming out this year.
Like I stated, I own 2 of these 3 units and will have the 3rd in my hands shortly and then I will see which I prefer.
February 03, 2018 10:38PM
Well between an Impact or Multi Kruzer ( MK) if I didn't need mixed modes or 99 tones or static modes I'd choose a MK..I'm impressed with the Par Excellence build and ergonomics Over the Impact..and easier coil swaps and just peace of mind knowing Im weather and waterproof.

Coil to coil Freq to Freq tone mode to tone mode I see the performance of the two as equal...I can detect some slight audio variances in the Kruzer I like in Sharpness of reports.

And for some reason on my MK it seems hotter slightly more sparky than the 4 tone Impact in air test...in Good soil that may be better depth??In my soil the depth is the same on either as a tie in 4 tone.

As far as the EQ ?????On a salt beach or Red dirt mineral or black sands having multi at once transmision it could be a deal breaker

Targets from strong soil is tough and the MakNok line does well at that using VLF because of their bleedy filtering and such while keeping noise to a minimum..that is noise from soilis still intelligent enough to allow operator to hear a legitimate target.

EQ will use it seems user adjustable filtering to become BLEEDY and also Multi or dual freq or whatever it is they use at once.

May boil down to what you need...but at this point the consumer is asking what you are over and over in their heads.. if they want or need to buy a new machine that is.

Site (Iron) work, well again till we see the EQ dissect some iron we just don't know or if there's no small coil for awhile for it then MK or Impact is a great site unit...and multi coil options coming quickly Ill bet...

I feel the EQ may be a big departure for minelab in terms of being a site sifter ..It may be with the options it has at its disposal like speed and Iron bias settings it can be a true Iron sifter in the world class sense..

Manufacturers have in the last decade or so realised that to make finds on a continuous basis they have to have a machine that can sift iron from old habitation sites they have stalled us on depth gains but helped us on unmasking gains..the whole general way of hunting has changed and the manufacturers are now seeing that..What was a niche hunter in the know two decades ago is now mainstream..and with no little effect from Toms site here churning the way..So it seems with the EQ they have met the consumer with a unit that is more site sifting friendly and still offers Minelabs proven multi freq tech in the mix to boot...

So which one to get??

If your unfortunately snowed or froze in with cabin fever a new machine wont do anything for awhile yet.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 03, 2018 10:58PM
Thanks Keith for your input!thumbs down
February 04, 2018 12:50AM
No dogs in that pack. Personal preferences would drive choice, though 2 of the 3 are obsolete (eye rolling smiley). I have strongly considered each of these and pulled the trigger on the 'Nox, but may well get an MK if I can sell some of my old obsolete sticks for anything better than a give away.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 04, 2018 09:51AM
Frank in NH Wrote:
> Hombre that sounds like a plan, which one do you w
> ant to buy at half price?smileys with beer

I love this Guy >grinning smiley<

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 04, 2018 01:41PM
Frank in NH
Which one to buy Impthumbs downact, Kruzer or Equinox?
The Impact has been a round and used by consumers. I have one and it's not going anywhere. The Multi-Kruzer has been in the hands of 'testers' and I have one and it , too, is not going anywhere. Consumers will be getting them in the coming week or two. The Equinox is now supposed to be on the way to consumers. I haven't 'tested' one, I don't have one, and while I know I'll borrow one to check out, I don't plan to own one. So, to give a full answer isn't possible for anyone yet, and like others have stated, and I agree, it is best to buy-try-decide, or borrow a friends unit and give it a good go to see what it offers you for the hunting you do and the site challenges you face.

Frank in NH
Have used Racer 2.
Which is good because it will give you a pretty good idea of what the Impact and Multi-Kruzer offer, but there will be some slight changes in performance in a mode or two due to engineering design tweaks. I like the Racer 2 and it has found me a lot of keepers. But so has my Impact, and my relic, and my CoRe, and now even my MX-7 from White's. I wade for some shallow-water Beach Hunting so a waterproof design is an 'OK' feature for me because I could fall or errantly drop and submerse my detector. It's also a nice feature if I like to stand around in a downpour, a heavy shower, or just get wet on a drizzly day. I usually don't care to do that, and I live in a drier chuck of the USA where we only get about 10½" of precipitation in a year.

I enjoy the Multi-Kruzer and it will be my unit to grab for Beach Hunting. It has some of my favorite Impact modes, ample adjustment features without being too cluttered. Perhaps a little enhancement of some search modes common with the Impact, and it has the new E.U.D. feature that has worked for me in several places I have checked it out. The Li-Po and accessory AA Alkaline battery system also gets a thumbs down from me, and the thickness, contour and 'feel' of the rubbery grip on the Multi-Kruzer gets two thumbs downthumbs down and I wish more 'S' rod models ... like the Racer 2winking smiley ... used that grip.

So, since I don't have any interest in the Equinox, for a number of personal reasons, I don't have to consider it.

Since I have been enjoying the 'test' sample Multi-Kruzer (and note, the final production version will have a few changes but I'm not aware what all of them are) and working it against ALL of the detectors in my Regular-Carry Team, I will say that, for me, if I had to pick between the Impact or Multi-Kruzer, it would be the Impact. I prefer the balance and feel, especially using a mid-sized to larger size search coil, with the Impact, and I also like the GEN (All Metal) modes incorporation of Discrimination. It does have a few adjustment features not found on the Multi-Kruzer so they each have their own 'uniqueness' and are not simply a copy-cat circuitry in a different package.

Both are very worthy detectors for most Avid Detectorists. Neither of them eliminate the excellent Relic and CoRe devices from my personal arsenal, however, because those models also have their strong points. As an example, Monte Jr. took a break from his work (self-employed) and kids yesterday and joined me hunting a local house demolition. We were each using our Nokta CoRe's w/'OOR' coils, both using Di-3 Three-Tone, both using a Gain of '99' and Disc. of '10', and sometimes apart working the lot, but also concentrating on a small area in front of the house. We were hunting side-by-side, close enough to hand over a pinpointer or show a recovered find, and at one point where he lucked onto a 'honey hole' I had my CoRe sitting on the ground within 4 feet of his device, both on and running as hot as can be, and ... ABSOLUTELY NO EMI!

I've hunted with Oregon Gregg when we were each using a CoRe and we can hunt close without any issues. With a Racer or Racer 2 or a few other makes/models, I have to keep my distance to get away from EMI when using one of those models, or if I have my Impact or Multi-Kruzer in-hand.

Anyway, I own both and that is one consideration you might decide to do. Or you can get with someone who has one or both units and do some comparisons and see which seems to make you happy. We all have different likes and dislikes so none of us can tell you for sure which to purchase, but these are my feelings and decisions.

Monte
February 04, 2018 03:15PM
I had an R2, sold it real quick.
I had an Etrac, loved it, the Nox is supposedly hotter on small silver so i'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
From what i've read from the Nox testers, it should be a decent detector. Just comparing spec sheets alone on all 3 detectors the OP mentions, the Nox at the very least should be a better all purpose machine than the Impact and Kruser combined.
February 04, 2018 06:16PM
be a better all purpose machine than the Impact and Kruser combined.

That isn't going to happen. While I do realize that everyone has their favorite detector and their dirt is different.....The Impact alone is quite a detector.
February 04, 2018 07:48PM
I'm sure the Impact is a good unit, but the specs for the Nox 800 are on a different level, and i'll eat my hat if it doesn't out perform both on the sand.
goodmore Wrote:
>
be a better all purpose machine than the I
> mpact and Kruser combined.

>
>
>
> That isn't going to happen. While I do realize tha
> t everyone has their favorite detector and their d
> irt is different.....The Impact alone is quite a d
> etector.
February 04, 2018 09:52PM
goodmore
be a better all purpose machine than the Impact and Kruser combined.
That isn't going to happen. While I do realize that everyone has their favorite detector and their dirt is different.....The Impact alone is quite a detector.
smileys with beer I definitely agree with you. Today, or at least earlier today since I plan to go back out this afternoon, has been an Impact & Multi-Kruzer Day where I tried to set-aside my personal feelings and take turns using them considering the likes/dislikes as someone else might perceive. Not easy to do, but I did finally 'perceive' that everyone I imagined felt the same as I do! grinning smiley

There isn't much to dislike about either of them, and one didn't come out to replace the other, either. We simply have a pair of well designed, selectable frequency, multi-purpose detectors. The primary choices between them are one has a selection of practical modes that are close to some of what the other device has and it has been packaged in an excellent feeling waterproof configuration. The other provides us with more mode choices, one being a unique and very functional Threshold-based All Metal mode that incorporates Discrimination, and it has a great feel and balance for all types of land contours we might take on.

It was 64° when I walked in the house, partly sunny, with no chance of rain so I'll grab a sandwich and when I head back down to the lot/demolition sites I think I'll just grab my Impact w/7" Concentric and finish out the day. cool smiley

Monte
February 04, 2018 10:05PM
Good read Monte. I guess I am going to go with the Kruzer as I do not have a water detector, I traded my MX Sport for a MX7.
February 04, 2018 10:21PM
I'm sure the Impact is a good unit, but the specs for the Nox 800 are on a different level, and i'll eat my hat if it doesn't out perform both on the sand.

My opinion.....In the sand? Yes. Because depth is everything when searching for gold. In the dirt? It will probably compete very well with the competition and maybe excel in some areas. But it isn't going to blow other detectors away. Why do I say that? Because the CTX doesn't do that and it costs 2.5 times what an Equinox will cost. Or option 2.....Minelab lowers the price of the CTX to 500 bucks or drops it from the line up all together. I am not brand loyal. I have used every Minelab FBS and BBS detector at one time or another. I have owned three different Nokta/Makro detectors. I use what works and I feel comfortable with. I have made great finds with both brands and others including Whites and XP. Until that discriminating pulse machine comes out the field is wide open.
February 04, 2018 10:47PM
An additional thought to what has already been listed above;

How long do you want to wait?

Nokta Impact - Available at your Dealer and on the used market.

Makro Multi-Kruzer - Availablility - Later in February -

Minelab Equinox - Availability - Is Back Ordered a fair term? BIG LINE TO BUY, small quantity available.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
February 05, 2018 02:39PM
You have a difficult choice...... dang there is a lot of dirt machines and more cming faster it seems. As a salt water hunter.... u are compareing it to 3 other machines avoiding a PI right now. Easy choice for me... but like Tom said depends on your intended use. If it were me.... id do a wait and see. Next few months could be interesting.
February 05, 2018 06:31PM
Depends if you are buy for curiosities sake or to fill a gap in your tool box.

Strictly speaking curiosity...., probably the Equinox 800. The Makro's are already known units so they fit more into the tool box category.

My thoughts anyway.
Good luck.
HH
Mike
February 06, 2018 06:18AM
One thing I've learned about metal detectors in my limited time of detecting is that what works for one person will not necessarily work for another person because your soil is different, the sites you like to detect are different, and everybody learns and interprets things in a different manner.

I understand that not everybody has the ability to buy and try every detector that peaks their interest.

It seems like there could be a business opportunity for somebody to be able to mail order rent detectors, it would be a fraction of the price of the buy and try method with a minimal loss of finances if you find the machine doesn't work for you. Perhaps you could even have the option to buy the machine if you find out it's the cats meow for you.

It could be somewhat similar to the camera lens rental business. I see a potential business opportunity in my future ha ha