Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

micro jewelry hunting

Posted by joetrikke 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
micro jewelry hunting
March 25, 2014 08:59PM
Would I be wasting my time using a Sand Shark to try micro jewelry hunting?
Re: micro jewelry hunting
March 26, 2014 12:45AM
Yes. The Sand Shark pulse is not sensitive enough for true micro jewelry because it is designed to cancel out the effects of salt water.

It will find small jewelry, but not micro-jewelry.

The Whites TDI and the Garrett ATX are the only two pulse units currently in production that I know of that might be sensitive enough for micro-jewlery hunting.
March 26, 2014 12:46AM
The Tiger is probably the BEST machine for small jewelry in fresh water. Learn the tones, don't get to frustrated buy the rusty bottle caps, you'll learn them after your first set of batteries. However I dig them anyway because just like in the dirt they're big maskers.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 12:48AM by Aaron.
March 26, 2014 12:54AM
As I understand it, micro jewelry is unrecoverable in salt water, including wet sand, due to the return the salt gives - masking the very small low conductive gold. If this is correct, you are limited to dry sand. Given that, a VLF IB detector is the best and cheapest solution. Many will work, with the Gold Bug 2 being the most sensitive to tiny stuff. Note - that includes every tiny bit of foil on the beach!
March 26, 2014 12:58AM
The Tiger isn't really a good machine to use in the salt...

Aaron