Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Well, it's been 50 years...

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Well, it's been 50 years...
March 25, 2014 03:40AM
The 'bicentennial' so to speak. 50 years since US 90% silver regular strike coins have been minted. Sure doesn't seem that long ago! A big reason we need good metal detectors
to find these long lost gems. They're getting deeper and masked more each passing year.
Re: Well, it's been 50 years...
March 25, 2014 01:39PM
Won't be much longer and the clad will be a thing of the past..

Flash money..recent drops from the fields will dissappear quickly..no more re deposits..

Keith
March 25, 2014 02:31PM
Yes agreed Keith.

The new nickel probably will not even be reading nickel either.....most likely some kind of ferrous junk signal.
March 25, 2014 03:14PM
Hold off on that golden anniversary remembrance of 90% silver's last gasp.

50 years by the date on the coin, but in reality only 48 years.

"1964" silver dimes continued to be minted until early 1966 when they rolled out the "1965" clad dime. 1964 silver quarters were produced until late 1965.
March 25, 2014 05:49PM
Interesting, didn't know that. Thx

Don't forget the 65', 66', 67' and 68' silver plated halves too.
March 25, 2014 07:30PM
check yer pocket change....got a 58 rosie in my change from Wendy's last month, and got a 1905 Indian Head cent today from the bank.
March 25, 2014 07:55PM
Funny.....last time I got a sliver in my change was also at Wendy's, and it too was a dime. Can't remember the year though.

Aaron
March 25, 2014 08:42PM
Funny

I remember as a kid back in the early/mid 70s

we used to sneak into the junkyard to play man-hunt (hide & seek for dudes!)

but

the junkyards at that time were still full of 50s and 60s cars so we'd pull the backseats out and search for silver change

found a ton of it myself ;-)
March 25, 2014 10:14PM
Aaron - Here's the thread from last summer with links to the Johnson Coinage Act of 1965 and an informative link from the archives of long-time Senator Robert Byrd. Whether deliberate or not, old LBJ sure was wrong...

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
March 26, 2014 12:41AM
Thanks macromo.

He sure was!

LBJ- "Some have asked whether our silver coins will disappear. The answer is very definitely-no.

Our present silver coins won't disappear and they won't even become rarities. We estimate that there are now 12 billion--I repeat, more than 12 billion silver dimes and quarters and half dollars that are now outstanding. We will make another billion before we halt production. And they will be used side-by-side with our new coins.

Since the life of a silver coin is about 25 years, we expect our traditional silver coins to be with us in large numbers for a long, long time.

If anybody has any idea of hoarding our silver coins, let me say this. Treasury has a lot of silver on hand, and it can be, and it will be used to keep the price of silver in line with its value in our present silver coin. There will be no profit in holding them out of circulation for the value of their silver content."

Aaron
March 26, 2014 03:23PM
How well I remember got married in 64.....in may will be our fifty year anniversary...
I know its getting harder and harder to find silver coins but new technology and depth seems like some of these so called worked out areas still produce.
I certainly still believe some silver coins are so deep even new technology can't reach them so imagine silver will be had in years to come...just not as many....