Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got the new FT pinpointer today...

Posted by Mike in CO 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got the new FT pinpointer today...
February 05, 2018 09:45PM
Got to say...I'm impressed.

I was hoping to replace my DetectorPro Uni-probe pulse for a couple reasons:
1. It's no longer made.
2. In the summer, full cup earphones are a sauna. (It's nice to have smaller/cooler options.)
3. A lot of my newer machines have wireless headphones, and I like the wireless freedom/flexibility.

Oh, and I need pulse induction in my ground. Otherwise all VLF pinpointers tend to max out around 1.25".

First the pros:
1. It's deep. About 3 inches on silver coins at medium sensitivity. (about 4" on a nickel)
2. The LED is bright and adjustable.
3. The vibrate feature is strong enough to feel through gloves.
4. Feels good in the hand, and handles well.
5. Power on is very fast...about half a second. (when away from metal...don't power it up near big metal!...it can lock it up, and require you to remove the battery cap to reset)
6. Battery cap and matching threads are all metal, with substantial O-ring.
7. They specifically say it can use the lithium AA energizers....doubles the alkaline life from 25hrs to 50hrs aprox.)
8. Even as a PI, it had a ground balance feature. Nice.
9. Waterproof to 6 feet. (NOT 10 feet like the typo on the outer box says.)

Cons:
1. The holster seems to be a Chinese made universal fit for...something...else.
(When I worked in the Motorcycle Industry as a kid, we used to joke that a "universal fit" fairing kit meant that it "Universally fits nothing.")
2. Apparently, it's easy to accidentally turn off the LED function, and/or get in some config mode.(At least I just did...must read manual...)
3. They left off the last depth indicator for 9 inches. (The overall pointer length is 9.5" from tip to battery cap, so there's plenty of room.)
(The 9" mark can roughly be approximated by the cosmetic 'seam' just below the lanyard hole. I'll probably put a scratch mark on mine.)
4. The modulation goes to full on while still about an inch from a coin. I would have liked it to be closer when 'full-on'...maybe a quarter inch, or so.
5. And this is totally subjective here...I'm not a fan of the Garrett style 360 full-length sensitivity. I much prefer the TRX tip-only 'sniper' approach. YMMV.

Conclusion:
If it holds up well, it looks like it may be nearly the perfect pinpointer for me.
(Now, if the next generation could just discriminate out iron...and not like the new Minelab where you have to basically be touching it.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 10:00PM by Mike in CO.
Re: Got the new FT pinpointer today...
February 05, 2018 11:10PM
Good report Mike. Thanks!
February 05, 2018 11:46PM
Carl, who designed the darned thing, also had (at least) in the hand in the Whites TRX. This is the result of what he has learned. Hopefully customers will find it useful.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:46PM by lytle78.
February 05, 2018 11:49PM
Thanks for the feedback. I had not seen the lock-up near big metal, I'll take a look and see what's going on. Meanwhile... don't do that.
The full-bore response at 1" is the best I could get without a substantially more difficult analog design. Getting 3-4" of usable sensitivity meant full overload at about 1". Once you hit overload, the processing game is over.
February 06, 2018 12:39AM
I found out the trick to quickly turning off/on the LED...
It's not in the manual (that I could see), but if you hold the button just a little too long on power-up, there's apparently a nice little feature that quickly toggles the LED on/off state.

If (like me) you accidentally turn the LED off by holding the power on button too long, just:
1. Turn off the pinpointer.
2. Press the button to turn it on...and continue to hold...until the LED turns back on.

This will happen very quickly, so as soon as you see the light, let go of the button.
Otherwise it will continue on to the brightness level adjustment sequence.

If you're in an area you'd prefer to hunt in anonymity...or if you'd just like to save battery...you can quickly toggle the LED on/off this way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 12:41AM by Mike in CO.
February 06, 2018 12:41AM
Thanks
I know I want one, but can't right now.
It would be a nice compliment to my Pro Arc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 12:46AM by markg.
Can't find anyplace online that has them in stock
February 06, 2018 01:23AM
Can't find anyplace online that has them in stock.
February 06, 2018 01:41AM
I don't like the 360 full-length. If coin is in side of hole you can't tell till you dig way past it. I like the TRX for that it just points on tip.
February 06, 2018 01:51AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found out the trick to quickly turning off/on the LED... It's not in the manual (that I could see), but if
> you hold the button just a little too long on power-up, there's apparently a nice little feature that
> quickly toggles the LED on/off state.

Yes, that was supposed to be in the manual.
Re: Can't find anyplace online that has them in stock
February 06, 2018 02:16AM
pine3874 Wrote:
> Can't find anyplace online that has them in stock.

tekneticsdirect.com is shipping them. they should be at distro and in dealers hands late this week.
February 06, 2018 05:34AM
Good write up, Mike!

Am I assuming corrrectly from your list of con's that it does have down the shaft as opposed to tip only pinpointing?
February 06, 2018 05:49AM
marcomo Wrote:
> Good write up, Mike!
>
> Am I assuming corrrectly from your list of con's t
> hat it does have down the shaft as opposed to tip
> only pinpointing?

marcomo,
Thank you, sir.

Yes. It's similar to the Garrett detection field...'down the shaft' as well as tip.
Since it's quite sensitive, I'll probably be able to adjust my technique with (hopefully) minimal effort.
So far, the more I use it, the more I like it overall...
smiling smiley
mike
February 06, 2018 05:51AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> I found out the trick to quickly turning off/on th
> e LED...
> It's not in the manual (that I could see), but if
> you hold the button just a little too long on powe
> r-up, there's apparently a nice little feature tha
> t quickly toggles the LED on/off state.
>
> If (like me) you accidentally turn the LED off by
> holding the power on button too long, just:
> 1. Turn off the pinpointer.
> 2. Press the button to turn it on...and continue t
> o hold...until the LED turns back on.
>
> This will happen very quickly, so as soon as you s
> ee the light, let go of the button.
> Otherwise it will continue on to the brightness le
> vel adjustment sequence.
>
> If you're in an area you'd prefer to hunt in anony
> mity...or if you'd just like to save battery...you
> can quickly toggle the LED on/off this way.

Thanks for your report Mike, it might just be the ticket I'm looking for to replace my carrot top, which I hate .

I like that you can turn the LED light on or off, how about the sound, can you turn that on or off and just use vibrate ?

Do you have to ground balance the thing, or when you turn it on is it auto ground balanced ?

For me I like simplicity in pin pointer's, just turn on fast, locate the target, and fast off. I feel I waste a ton of time with the carrot top and it's finickiness.

Thanks,
Brian
February 06, 2018 06:04AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

> I like that you can turn the LED light on or off,
> how about the sound, can you turn that on or off a
> nd just use vibrate ?

Yes.

> Do you have to ground balance the thing, or when y
> ou turn it on is it auto ground balanced ?

It turns on tuned/balanced. But if your ground is finicky and/or you want to fine tune the GB, just hold the tip against the side of the hole and quick press the button...same as if you're wanting to 'detune' to hone in a target.

>For me I like simplicity in pin pointer's, just turn on fast, locate the target, and fast off. I feel I waste a ton of time with the carrot top and it's finickiness.

This one does turn on and off fast.
Obviously, I can't speak to the long term ruggedness yet...but in the mineralized ground you find yourself hunting, I'd suggest this might perform better than any VLF pinpointer.

> Thanks,
> Brian
You are most welcome.
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 06:07AM by Mike in CO.
February 06, 2018 06:21AM
Thanks Mike I appreciate all of your answers and testing thumbs down
February 06, 2018 02:11PM
thanks Mike, I used the old DetectorPro 'box' pinpointer (plug in phones) years ago and it was DEEP but FRAGILE.

After your report I've decided to spring for the Tek version (colour is important!, lol) when it's available here in Canada.

good job Carl! hopefully I won't be cursing you in the future once I get it, lol...
February 06, 2018 02:16PM
With the 360 full length pin pointers you have to spiral down into the hole. You can get used to it. Kind of do it with the TRX anyway. Same thing on the plugs.

HH
Mike
February 07, 2018 07:45AM
This pinpointer looks promising. Anybody notice what the warranty is?

I like the extra depth and shaft sensitivity.

Stable pinpointer depth is important to me for efficiency, I want to be able to put it in the hole or on the back side of the plug and find the target as often as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 07:46AM by marcomo.
February 07, 2018 09:52AM
marcomo Wrote:
> This pinpointer looks promising. Anybody notice what the warranty is?

I just looked at back of manual...says 2 Year Limited Warranty.
Typical disclaimer about 'neglect, accidental damage, misuse, etc.', and an additional black box stating, "WARNING: Submersing this product to a depth greater than 6 feet and/or longer than 1 hour will void warranty."

So I guess all day deep sea diving is out... winking smiley