Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Dam will burst this coming week.

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: The Dam will burst this coming week.
February 12, 2018 05:07PM
Steveg, It seems to be O.K. on isolated coins, But add some small trash with it like foil etc. It gets jumpy.
Maybe be alrite by time it's out. Etrac will ignore it and lock on Coin signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:08PM by Harold,ILL..
February 12, 2018 05:34PM
Call me crazy.
But seems like Equinox is more like knife blade (I.e. Speed setting 5) as far as how it is picking up targets. Maybe will take more homing with coil to improve ID characteristics. But locating a find is paramount first, not ID. We'll see how Equinox here compares to fbs types in polluted sites.

Heck, I am trying to win another prize here.lol

Food for thought here.
Could Minelab have set speed setting default level like they did in park 1 mode, gambling this would be where the first vids would be shown by folks, hence show some speed characteristics of the detector.

Does speed sell detectors??

Remember Deus had/has Deus fast program.
But Equinox don't have a labeled outright park fast or Equinox fast program.

All this above coming from just a hick in the hills, low experienced arm chair detectorist.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:53PM by Sod-buster.
February 12, 2018 05:58PM
Depends on type of Hunters and situations.
Relic hunters in iron want Speed.
I think deep coin hunters in Park and turf situations want I.D. and Depth. JMHO.
February 12, 2018 06:24PM
Nobody is going to be an expert on the machine right out of the gate. I have the feeling this machine is going to be one of those that has a lot of nuggets crammed in it that will take some time to expose. We are starting with a clean slate so to speak and there isn't any archive of data we can go to for it, nor any post production books to read about it.

Just reading through the manual, the whole program system is different than how I would have imagined it being...like the Park 1 and Park 2 modes. I had it in my head that it would be the same way as the CTX, in which P1 and P2 are just discrimination patterns. The way I understand the Equinox, is that it is entirely two different programs and not just disc patterns, and that goes for all the programs.

There's a lot of unanswered questions just yet. Like Sod alluded to, there might be a key to stability by playing with the recovery speed settings. 5 may be default to be best for working in trashy parks...and if you lower it, it may stabilize the ID to be rock solid but at the same time, gives up a little of that lightning speed. At 5, it was way faster than the eTrac and CTX. That's one of those things that will have to be played with in order to find out the answer. Similar to the trash density setting on the FBS machines, but with way more user control and speed.
February 12, 2018 06:29PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends on type of Hunters and situations.
> Relic hunters in iron want Speed.
> I think deep coin hunters in Park and turf situations want I.D. and Depth. JMHO.

Yep and salt water beach hunters want depth and the ability to detect small gold.

Will the EQ do all of these things better then everything else out there? I'm willing to bet no, but I think it will do some of them very well....time will tell, but I suspect it will turn out to be a decent machine.

No matter what, I'll be keeping my Multi Kruzer, it's a killer iron infested site sifter.
February 12, 2018 06:58PM
Well said Daniel..
For those who are willing to dive in to the Advanced settings and truly learn
how to use them will probably be rewarded.. I think the Equinox might be more complex
in its abilities then we understand at this early stage.

Bryan
February 12, 2018 07:12PM
Cal.... i think you are right. There is a LOT of dirt machines.... competitive machines more coming it seems every day. Some area thou ..... like raw gold and beach hunting is still a pretty wide open area for advancements. Machines that are water proof and that has a salt setting are popping up.... but its a far cry from being a serious machine out there. EVERYTHING..... even the CTX is compared to the Xcal.... thats why its still a major seller.

Gold is a tuffy......salt changes a lot of the magnetic response as does size, design, depth..... and that crazy high and fast golf swing lol. its not even miss and inch..... its miss a half inch. I looking for more good videos......just picking out what i might feel is an advancement. What would help a lot was to indicate some of the settings...... but im thinking most are the default settings right now....... and you guys have to stop doing them in your kitchen lol. Ill certainly be watching anything gold related.
February 13, 2018 03:24AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Steveg, It seems to be O.K. on isolated coins, But
> add some small trash with it like foil etc. It get
> s jumpy.
> Maybe be alrite by time it's out. Etrac will ignor
> e it and lock on Coin signal.

Harold,

OK, gotcha. That makes sense. I was gonna say, I would HOPE it wouldn't have trouble "locking on" to a coin, with good ID...but with trash nearby, sounds like it wants to see both of them. WHICH, is not a "bad" thing, depending...

Thanks!

Steve
February 13, 2018 03:26AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Depends on type of Hunters and situations.
> Relic hunters in iron want Speed.
> I think deep coin hunters in Park and turf situati
> ons want I.D. and Depth. JMHO.

Agree. And along those lines, I wonder to what degree cranking speed DOWN will give increased depth. Wonder if it's "subtle," or substantial?

Steve