Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newbie digs up a Roman hoard

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Newbie digs up a Roman hoard
May 03, 2014 11:25AM
Re: Newbie digs up a Roman hoard
May 04, 2014 12:19AM
I would guess the museum's could name their price being the only players in the game. Unless they were fairly valued by private sources. Set me straight my UK brothers.
May 04, 2014 12:57AM
Why is the new guys over there in Europe are ones who find that stuff?

Aaron
May 04, 2014 01:17AM
Am not from the UK, but from what i've read an independent board sets the value. Thers more to it but am not knowledgable enough to comment more.
I'll answer that question Aaron
May 04, 2014 01:27AM
It's because the newbies don't know...if that makes sense..

look at it like this...we hunt alot we know what sounds good what sounds bad through years of target retrevial..but we have to remember a detector can only convey so much to us..yet the thousands od targets can emulate to report a target as soemthing we dont want top dig...we get to used to this is a good signal this is bad signal on our machine of choice...

The new guy does not know this yet...

But who's the wiser hunter????..Believ it or not in the simple way of not knowing the new guy has an advantage though unkown to Him because He hunts outside the boxes we have painstakingly built over the years..

Never become complacent I have to remind myself constantly...

Switch up, go against the grain if you will on a few hunts..see the outcome..

That's one reason a new machine can renew a site..it's not the new machine is that much better, But it makes different sounds than the one your used to so you do more exploratory digging for awhile...

sad but true..

people that say they now their machine like the back of their hand. THEY MISS OUT IF THEY BELIEVE THAT TRULY..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:39AM by Keith Southern.
Re: I'll answer that question Aaron
May 04, 2014 01:44AM
Makes a lotta sense Keith, well said.

Aaron
May 04, 2014 09:03PM
at least once every year a newbie will head out into nowhere and find a mega valuable hoard of 5 - 6 figure sum!
why i dont know when experts with 40 years under their belt and the investigative powers of sherlock holmes never find a hoard in their lifes.

yes a panel of experts will give a valuation on a hoard. but some are sold on the open market if the coins arent that rare or musuem dont have the cash.
sold in small parcels not all in 1 lump.

this can cause a coin price to collapse if they were valuable before and they were rare .
May 05, 2014 12:17AM
The hoard from my understanding is brought before the local coroner to decide if the find is treasure or trove. Then a museum has the first shot at it.

I'd would imagine newbies would dig any signal, heck I've probably walked by some nice stuff myself. When coin hunting, a person is looking for small, tight weak signals, a horde would produce a wider signal, hence it was maybe overlooked because somebody thought it was a deeply buried car bonnet or similar large ferrous object. I know I've given up on some strong deep targets before, kinda makes you wonder.
May 05, 2014 02:59AM
The "local coroner"?

Aaron
May 08, 2014 10:59AM
Regarding newbies and good finds: I was hunting behind my father's (now deceased) place, with permission from new owner. It was supposedly a hotbed of activity during the civil War (though I haven't found THAT much there). I had just purchased my first Deus. I got a 30-something signal. "Junk!"....I thought. But since it was so promient in my headphones I decided to dig it up and get the stinking thing out of my way. It was an Eagle Martingale heart complete with all three hooks on the back. It was 'on edge' in the ground.......likely causing the low numerical reading. If it had of been flat, it would have sounded like a flattened coke can probably. I was much surprised and had no idea what I had. In my later detecting career ( a mere three years) I would have passed it by looking for targets in the 70's, 80's and low 90's. I'm glad that I dug that junk.
Same thing with the gold coin. It registered about 35 on the screen while buried under a Cedar root. I almost said to heck with it. But I'm glad I didn't. I had a run of beginner's luck there for a while. Then, the harder I tried, and the more that I tried to GRID off a place......the less my finds. Go figure.
Perhaps a regression in our technique to the first days of detecting is the answer to a fuller "good finds" pocket. JMO