Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How to correctly ground balance the F75

Posted by gates21 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How to correctly ground balance the F75
February 21, 2010 11:10PM
After watching Tom's video I realized how important it is to ground balance a detector correctly. When I attempt to ground balance my LTD I always seem to have metal under the coil. Is it ok to turn the sensitivity way down in order to ground balance in a target rich environment? Any other tips?
Re: How to correctly ground balance the F75
February 21, 2010 11:31PM
I assume when you say there "I always seem to have metal under the coil" this is from pinpointing to find a metal free area?

I've found this often to be the case as well. When I try to GB I just sweep the coil to find a free spot, as I suspect the PP mode is picking up on non-detectable targets (ground salts/minerals, etc).

Something I've noticed is that using ground-grab method while bobbing the coil you get a repeatable break in the audio and the number locks in, this IMHO is a good GB. When I don't get this repeatable break in the audio (like when you bob closes to the ground it goes silent), I'm not overly confident that the machine is optimally ground balanced (even though I don't get a GB error on the screen), and will usually try again in another area.
February 22, 2010 02:17AM
i wleays bob it up and down then move from left to right till i see numbers change even in a trashy area and its always seemed to work
February 22, 2010 03:08AM
I ALWAYS HAVE MY SENS SET AT THE STRENGTH I AM GOING TO USE WHEN I DETECT SO IF YOU FAST GRAB I WOULD NOT CHANGE YOUR SENS AFTER...TRY USING PINPOINT TO FIND SOME CLEAN GROUND AND THEN SET THE DISC THE SENS AND THE TONES AND THE MODE YOU ARE GOING TO USE AND THEN FAST GRAB

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 22, 2010 03:50AM
Yes I am talking about how the detector always seems to sound off even if there is no metal underneath the coil. Cutting the sens. seems to cut back these sounds, but I'm never really sure if I get a good GB.
February 22, 2010 04:22AM
Well the F75 will chatter that happens most of the time. just listen for the tone you are programed for and then dig it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Jeb
February 22, 2010 09:01AM
I always have my sensitivity at its lowest to Fast grab.Then I increase it after .
February 22, 2010 09:53AM
Sometimes moving around as you bob the coil in all metal will allow you to determine a clean spot. There is a difference in the tone between the ground and a target but it takes a bit of trial and error. I use this method quite often.

Now if you are starting off with the GB set WAY positive for your ground you will always get as response as the coil is lowered. Try setting the GB a few numbers lower to begin with so the detector gives a negative response when lifting the coil over clean ground and then go from there.

Tom
February 22, 2010 01:34PM
It is very important to NOT have a piece of metal in the ground....where you plan to perform GB. Use the Sens level that you plan to hunt with.....or a higher Sens level to perform your Grnd Bal. You can lower the Sens with this proper Grnd Bal.......but it is not recommended to raise your Sens.

Yes, pull the trigger (invoke PP) and lower your coil to the ground...................then start sweeping and find the most 'clear' spot.....so you have a place to GB. You may even need to walk 100 feet away from your intended hunting spot..........so as to provide you with a more proper Grnd Bal. If you do this.........remember the Grnd Bal number..........then,,, later,,, you will have a base-reference....IF you do indeed find a clean area to GB in the area you are hunting.
June 02, 2014 11:02PM
Hi Tom,
When I hold pinpoint and lower my coil to the ground I always get the same steady tone no matter where I go..is it because I should hold the coil higher off the ground when pinpointing for a clean area? I usually try to scrub the coil to the ground like when I am searching.
June 03, 2014 12:20AM
Sounds like your ground is similar to Florida's sandbar soil. Lowering the coil to the ground (with pinpoint invoked)....... makes no audible change. Grnd Bal not required.