Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox non servicable?

Posted by choppadude 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox non servicable?
February 16, 2018 09:23PM
Just read a post on the Equinox FB page stating that they spoke to the Minelab repair guy in UK and was told that the Equinox is non serviceable and will be replaced under warranty but after warranty expires the unit cannot be serviced doe to the fact that it is permanently sealed. Several follow up post were verified by others who spoke to the repair center.
If this turns out to be fact it may be a deal breaker for many.
Re: Equinox non servicable?
February 16, 2018 09:37PM
If that's the case I can see a lot of people trying to offload them just before the warrenty expires and having a hard time selling used ones because who would buy a used one. If something happens to it or it stops working after warrenty expires, might as well trash it.
February 16, 2018 09:55PM
I can understand the concern with a non-serviceable unit, but I have to say that in 46 years of using many, many detectors, I've only had to send one in for service due to a frozen capacitor that was my fault for trying to hunt in near zero conditions when I was young, and stupid... well at least when I was young... I don't think I would worry about it, but if I can pick one up real cheap because of the fear...
February 16, 2018 10:03PM
If using in salt water that is a big bummer.
February 16, 2018 10:05PM
Sounds like an opportuity for a niche repair market for some smart techician? I agree detectors are super reliable but still like one that could be repaired.
Not sure if a deal breaker have to check the warranty time.

/
February 16, 2018 10:08PM
A slim, waterproof box like the control box on the EQ might well be glued and sealed so that no practical access is available. The battery is in the grip and likely easily replaceable. Given that a circuit board replacement on anyone Minelab has tended to run several hundred $, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that. Whole new box is the only practical repair option.

Welcome to the 21st century - miniature, surfacemounted components are not repair friendly.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 16, 2018 10:23PM
Wonder what the warranty time period is...and if hunters will start beating those babies up 6 months prior to expiration hoping it craps out so they can get a new one.

If it's 5 years, it may not be a bad thing. Won't buy if just 3 years. Hope the warranty is transferable in either case.

Out of warranty units with no chance for repair may go for a heck of a price down the line. Time will tell.
February 16, 2018 10:35PM
I believe the warranty is 3 years. Yeah I can see the same scenario as posted, guys beating the tar out of their machine a few months before warranty to get a new replacement. I am sure aftermarket repair options will become available but they may be able to name their own price. Really not sure of my feelings on this. All other water machines I have seen are sealed with a oring or rubber seal and can be opened for repair, resealed and pressure tested. I have the AT Max, MX Sport, Makro Kruzer and CTX3030 and they are all repairable and resalable Not sure why Minelab chose this route. Maybe the leaks in the early CTX's left a bad taste in their mouth. I do know that $899 is way to expensive for a toss away unit
February 16, 2018 11:18PM
just scare tactics from the oppositionspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 16, 2018 11:18PM
Several top smartphones are same price range with only one year warranty and they sell like crazy .
February 16, 2018 11:30PM
This may be a big reason the Enox can be run off of an auxillary battery. There's frightfully little info on the battery in the spec sheet , 5000mah and not even a voltage rating that I saw. If it's a typcial inexpensive lithium the recharge cycle life could be as short as 300 cycles which would make it past the 6 month battery warranty but would be very easy to surpass in a full year of constant use. Hopefully they would have put batteries with 500 to 1000 cycle life spans in them but a non serviceable unit is pretty significant to us old schoolers who don't just throw everything away. Definitely would have an effect on the resale market of non warranted machines,,,,tells me there's a Enox2 already on the books
February 16, 2018 11:55PM
silverhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several top smartphones are same price range with
> only one year warranty and they sell like crazy .

Yeah...to kids who hold them in their hands 24/7 and treat them like their first born child. Plus they can get them serviced.

We are talking about a detector that we want to use in a salt water environment (as well as under water), that we would probably treat pretty rough, that cannot be serviced.

I don't know....the non-serviceable thing bothers me. But I guess in this day and age it's probably becoming the norm. Just get a new one. Shoot, no one gets their TV serviced any more so I see ML's strategy.
February 17, 2018 12:23AM
the handle/pod unscrews from the shaft so even if it isnt serviceable its easily replaceable....no big deal.....
February 17, 2018 12:25AM
It bothers me too if it's true. That could be a deal breaker for many.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 12:32AM by Rick, N. MI.
Equinox non servicable?
February 17, 2018 12:48AM
choppadude Wrote:
> Just read a post on the Equinox FB page stating th
> at they spoke to the Minelab repair guy in UK and
> was told that the Equinox is non serviceable and w
> ill be replaced under warranty but after warranty
> expires the unit cannot be serviced doe to the fac
> t that it is permanently sealed. Several follow up
> post were verified by others who spoke to the repa
> ir center.
> If this turns out to be fact it may be a deal bre
> aker for many.

Guess I ought to hang onto my old Bandido, Golden Sabre, MXT and the like as they are easily worked on. smileys with beer

Would be a good idea to VERIFY more information here before jumping to conclusions (oops, too late for some). Manufacturing a $900 "throw away" detector would go over POORLY with the detecting community; especially if Minelab failed to declare this ahead of time.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
February 17, 2018 12:49AM
bigboar Wrote:
> the handle/pod unscrews from the shaft so even if
> it isnt serviceable its easily replaceable....no b
> ig deal.....

No big deal ? as in replacing the battery only costs $300?
February 17, 2018 12:55AM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> choppadude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just read a post on the Equinox FB page stating
> th
> > at they spoke to the Minelab repair guy in UK an
> d
> > was told that the Equinox is non serviceable and
> w
> > ill be replaced under warranty but after warrant
> y
> > expires the unit cannot be serviced doe to the f
> ac
> > t that it is permanently sealed. Several follow
> up
> > post were verified by others who spoke to the re
> pa
> > ir center.
> > If this turns out to be fact it may be a deal
> bre
> > aker for many.

>
> Guess I ought to hang onto my old Bandido, Golden
> Sabre, MXT and the like as they are easily worked
> on. smileys with beer
>
> Would be a good idea to VERIFY more information he
> re before jumping to conclusions (oops, too late f
> or some). Manufacturing a $900 "throw away" detect
> or would go over POORLY with the detecting communi
> ty; especially if Minelab failed to declare this a
> head of time.
>
> Rich (Utah)

Thus the reason for this post. I would like to VERIFY this is true. I have heard this from several sources but would like to get any and all info I can before I make a purchase of a Equinox. Maybe they are just that confident in their build quality.
February 17, 2018 01:57AM
shoveler Wrote:
> bigboar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the handle/pod unscrews from the shaft so even i
> f
> > it isnt serviceable its easily replaceable....no
> b
> > ig deal.....
>
>
> No big deal ? as in replacing the battery only cos
> ts $300?

yeah,,,,,,,thats still 3 year away..lol
February 17, 2018 02:09AM
The battery is easily replaceable. Stop making a drama.
February 17, 2018 02:15AM
Gastro Wrote:
> The battery is easily replaceable. Stop making a d
> rama.

Do you have something to verify that?
February 17, 2018 02:35AM
Seam

Seam2

looks to me like it comes apart.... once again, I think its just scare tactics

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 02:42AM by bigboar.
February 17, 2018 02:39AM
I had to use two allen keys to verify that, 2mm and 3mm. Second of all it was clearly stated by Minelab before. Can be found on DP forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 06:28AM by Gastro.
February 17, 2018 02:43AM
How many machines have you ever NOT been able to chang something as simple as the batteries? Now the question is at what cost? Im really not liking what ML isnt saying or providing as we the buyiers get the pre order calls . The dealers are in the dak on accessories timeframe and prices. Is this intentional? If so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth before purchase.... what will I get after?
February 17, 2018 02:49AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> How many machines have you ever NOT been able to c
> hang something as simple as the batteries? Now t
> he question is at what cost? Im really not likin
> g what ML isnt saying or providing as we the buyie
> rs get the pre order calls . The dealers are in t
> he dak on accessories timeframe and prices. Is th
> is intentional? If so it leaves a bad taste in my
> mouth before purchase.... what will I get after?

the deus? well, at least thats how it was at the beginning....I really think minelab just has their plate full dew. I got an email that they are releasing the new gofinds too...not sure why right now but they are..
February 17, 2018 02:52AM
Bloody hell, you like a bunch of girls. There is a pretty much standard 25650 battery inside. You can find how much it costs yourself.
February 17, 2018 03:08AM
[www.findmall.com]

Official Words from Minelab regarding EQUINOX battery

11/17/2017

I'm not an official from Minelab. But I've been asked to share these"official words" with forum members:

“The Li-ion battery in the EQUINOX detectors is easily replaceable. Minelab has not yet released official information as to whether or not a user can change the battery over without voiding warranty or if we recommend the battery is changed by a dealer or service centre. Further information about battery care and maintenance will be provided in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual, which has not been released yet. This will be available when the product is available. The EQUINOX detectors are not designed to run from AA batteries. However, you can use a standard USB power bank (as you do with mobile phones) to recharge the built-in battery and operate the detector at the same time.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 03:08AM by Mike C.
No definitive word.
February 17, 2018 03:21AM
But what I have heard is entire housing has to be sent to a service center to replace the battery, because the housing is completely sealed. I would think the housing would cost at least half as much as the total cost of the detector, so, when the machine goes out of warranty, potential cost of replacing the battery COULD be into the hundreds of dollars.

If the battery lasts 10 years or so, that may not be a big deal when you think about it. Like somebody said, there will probably be an Equinox 1000 out by then.
February 17, 2018 03:23AM
Try to read my post above about allen keys and stop repeating someone's uneducated guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 03:24AM by Gastro.
Re: No definitive word.
February 17, 2018 03:39AM
Greg --

No, the battery is easily replaceable, per Minelab, as Mike C. posted. You send it in, they replace it. WHY would it cost "hundreds of dollars?"

Steve
February 17, 2018 04:05AM
Geez, is it cabin fever or something. The Equinox is modular like the gold monster, worst case would be replacing hand grip that holds the battery. I know for a fact Equinox will be supported after the warranty expires.