Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What the heck are these? Need some ID help.....

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What the heck are these? Need some ID help.....
February 20, 2018 07:36PM
Tom and I went back to the Spanish outpost site over the weekend and I managed to find a few "what's it's" (some may call them leaverights ).

This is interesting, almost thinking it might be jewelry, notice how the interconnected rings each have a loop/twist and one of them has decorative lines on the side (like a reeded edge on a coin).

Not sure what this is, has some decorative fancy around the diamond shape, with an oval opening in the center for something to go through:

This almost looks like some kind of little tool? Perhaps for a gun?

Although a bit larger then ones I've found in the past, I'm thinking this threaded hexagon shaped piece might be a powder flask top? Man did it sound good and I cannot believe it was never detected before:

Thanks for looking and I appreciate any ideas you all may have!
Cal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 08:07PM by Cal_cobra.
Re: What the heck are these? Need some ID help.....
February 20, 2018 08:11PM
Brian, The rings in the 1st photo look like a puzzle ring--Turkish, I think--that when organized right make a pleasing pattern on the finger. Used to be able to buy them back in the 70's at import shops in the Bay Area. Should be some alloy of silver or white brass.

By the way, that 3 x 6 concentric coil is a winner on the F70--great separator.

Joel
February 20, 2018 08:27PM
I'm guessing two of them are equine related.
The round one with the hole in the center is probably a saddle concho and had a pair of leather strips through it for tying down gear.
The ringed one may be a section of a bridle chin strap.
February 20, 2018 08:31PM
Second the puzzle ring.

Hexagonal piece could be from a can of black powder also.
Old black powder is graded by size......F is coarse. FFFF is very fine

Were you using the Kruzer!
If so when is the video getting posted?
Thanks for all the videos Cal!
February 20, 2018 08:33PM
YubaJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian, The rings in the 1st photo look like a puzzle ring--Turkish, I think--that when organized right make a pleasing pattern on the finger. Used to be able to buy them back in the 70's at import sho
> ps in the Bay Area. Should be some alloy of silver or white brass.
>
> By the way, that 3 x 6 concentric coil is a winner on the F70--great separator.
>
> Joel

That was my first thought, I found a modern one years ago made of two 14K gold rings (one white gold, one yellow gold) and one sterling silver. It was ID'd as a Russian wedding ring. If that's what this one is, it's from an old, old site, so would likely date to the late 1700's to mid 1800's.

Yeah I wish they made a little elliptical concentric coil for the Nokta/Makro machines, would probably be better working around the flat iron then a DD for sure.

Thanks for looking,
Brian
February 20, 2018 08:34PM
shoveler Wrote:
> I'm guessing two of them are equine related.
> The round one with the hole in the center is probably a saddle concho and had a pair of leather strips through it for tying down gear.
> The ringed one may be a section of a bridle chin strap.

Yeah that would make sense.

Thanks!
February 20, 2018 08:36PM
TabZilla Wrote:
> Second the puzzle ring.
>
> Hexagonal piece could be from a can of black powder also.
> Old black powder is graded by size......F is coarse. FFFF is very fine
>
> Were you using the Kruzer!
> If so when is the video getting posted?
> Thanks for all the videos Cal!

Cool, that makes sense, I'll do some googling and see if I can find a similar example.

Yep was using the Kruzer, and the video is going up today thumbs down

Thanks!
February 20, 2018 10:16PM
Cool digs Brian

but

show us the good stuff you're holding out on us now grinning smiley
February 20, 2018 11:16PM
Nice digs Brian..

Those rings may be off a spanish style 18th century early 19th century Horse bit...I've seen those with all sort of dangling brass chains on them with those ((cant remember the name coscojo's or something hanging of them))

The round brass with slit in middle looks like a concho to me..were the leather straps come through the middle.??

The forked grooved piece COULD be a ramrod tensioner...fit under barrel and ramrod locked into it up inside gun stock through tension.??

FF piece definitely some sort of flask top..but what type flask??powder or liquid??

All my take nothing definite...LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 20, 2018 11:37PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Cool digs Brian
>
> but
>
> show us the good stuff you're holding out on us now grinning smiley

You're wish, is my command grinning smiley Coming soon, just waiting on "processing" to complete, but there are better finds, and hopefully Tom posts his too, as he got some super cool Spanish relics IMO thumbs down He seems to be tied up with bottle digging at the moment though tongue sticking out smiley
February 20, 2018 11:39PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Nice digs Brian..
>
> Those rings may be off a spanish style 18th century early 19th century Horse bit...I've seen those with all sort of dangling brass chains on them with > those ((cant remember the name coscojo's or something hanging of them))
>
> The round brass with slit in middle looks like a concho to me..were the leather straps come through the middle.??
>
> The forked grooved piece COULD be a ramrod tensioner...fit under barrel and ramrod locked into it up inside gun stock through tension.??
>
> FF piece definitely some sort of flask top..but what type flask??powder or liquid??
>
>
> All my take nothing definite...LOL..
>
> Keith

Thinking those "puzzle" rings may be more of an equestrian related item, which would likely make more sense here. I like the ramrod tensioner idea, will do some googling on that one, but that would be super cool!!

Thanks for taking the time to look Keith!