Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Word from Minelab about servicing the Equinox.

Posted by Greg (E.Tn) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Word from Minelab about servicing the Equinox.
February 24, 2018 03:52PM
I finally decided to contact the Minelab Service Center in Naperville, Illinois, directly by email with questions about service and warranty on the Equinox. I did this because I was getting kinda tired and confused with all the "he said/she said," or "I heard this," or "I heard that," stuff here and on other forums. Heck, I did it too, and for awhile, I was wondering if the Russians were involved. winking smiley

Anyway, here's what I got back:

" We do recommend using an Authorized Service Center (ASC) for battery replacement to avoid potentially damaging the waterproof seal during replacement, which would void the 3-year detector warranty. Further information into user replacement of the battery will be released at a later date, but the request for users to perform the battery switch themselves is actively being appraised.

The Equinox does come with a three year warranty and does not offer an extended warranty. Some dealers may have their own warranty they sell through them, but as a manufacturer we do not offer one.

Minelab will of course continue to service your detector after the warranty has expired! While there would be a charge associated with the repair, we would absolutely have it taken care of for you! "

I hope this helps.
cdv
Re: Word from Minelab about servicing the Equinox.
February 24, 2018 04:16PM
Thanks Greg.....seems like that "should" put that rumor to rest.....

Cliff
February 24, 2018 05:28PM
I've enjoyed the topic of warranty being kicked around in relation to the Equinox since it's a radical change from Minelab's other designs and how it's not going to be viewed as a throw away item. The crux of the issue is in Minelab's response...." While there would be a charge associated with the repair".... and just what that charge might be on a three year old , $900 dollar detector when at least a third of the original cost is in the coil. At what cost does replacing the entire handle assembly become a more viable option than attempting to replace sealed , integrated components of that assembly and still have the owner opt for doing the repair?

With Minelab's history of repair costs I can see any future repair costs being a bitter pill to swallow for an owner of a broken unit. Hopefully the new design gives them a legendary durability rating down the road , if it doesn't , expect to see lots of two year old units for sale in 2020 , cheap!
February 24, 2018 05:29PM
Way to get it done, Greg....... A check in the plus column for the EQ.
February 24, 2018 06:06PM
I think Shoveler is missing two things in his conclusion. First, if the Changer is a repair problem it likely will take longer for it to be known widely enough to effect sales by 2020 (heck I am not sure of delivery before 2019eye rolling smiley). Second, It already is cheap. Compare it to Excal cost vs feature (and look at Excals resale after what 20+ years?). You can almost buy 4 600s for the cost of a CTX (400% better?). AND if it keeps my shoulder from needing surgical repair plus lets me hunt longer (each outing and long term) how much does that add to the value?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 24, 2018 06:36PM
Pasttom , your first point is well taken. Making any association between dates and the Equinox is indeed a slippery slope to travel.winking smiley
As to the second , I think the relative "cheap" initial cost is what gives credibility to the throw away perception of the thing. At what point does the nature of the repair and the associated cost make it counterproductive? It's a valid question on any device but even more valid after the "permanently sealed" posting on Minelab's FB page that really brought this matter to peoples attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 06:40PM by shoveler.
February 24, 2018 07:12PM
But what other electronic device is any different these days? Remember when Jesse White was the lonely repairman? My washing machine just broke and I had the Sears guy come look at it- $99. He looked and said, "I was never here. You called and cancelled 'cuz you bought a new one." He saved me $99. It seems the broken part and the new machine cost the same and that's BEFORE labor is thrown in. Fix a TV? I paid a grand for my flat screen Panasonic plasma. You can't find them any more, better ones are a third the price. I can't afford to fix it when it goes and where would I even find someone to do it? The world is changing and its not easy to wrap ones head around that.

I think we just see things differently. I like living in a free country (stop giggling).

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 24, 2018 07:12PM
"Minelab will of course continue to service your detector after the warranty has expired! While there would be a charge associated with the repair, we would absolutely have it taken care of for you! "

I'd like to know what a typical charge would be if something minor went wrong inside the control head. Do they take it apart and fix it or do they replace it with a new one and charge you for it?

tabman
Re: Word from Minelab about servicing the Equinox. N/T
February 24, 2018 07:29PM
N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 07:33PM by Cabin Fever.
February 24, 2018 08:20PM
Tom , I think we actually agree completely.thumbs down
I enjoy living in a free country as well and all appearances are that the Nox is possibly just another throw away electronic device after the warranty expires.
Good for the cost of a used coil and some spare parts. Hopefully by then the next "latest and greatest" will have arrived , the PI/VLF hybrid with stereo audio , imaging , built in analysis , automatic auction listing and non invasive extraction ,,,,, water proof and permanently sealed of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 08:21PM by shoveler.