Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

You think your toys depreciate?

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
You think your toys depreciate?
November 01, 2014 03:34AM
A lot of us like to try what's new and hot in the detector world and then if we're basically done with it sell it on. Sometimes it's kind of hard to take the hit of depreciation from what you paid to what you can get.

One of the hidden benefits of the fact that detector technology has in most respects pretty much "hit the wall" is that depreciation isn't nearly a savage as it is with other kinds of toys.

I was just looking at a write up about A Nikon digital camera that was the top-of-the-line a few years back and witch – frankly – is smoking bargain in today's market if - you need to take sports pictures. It's a Nikon D2HS. Top-of-the-line six or eight years ago. Look at the numbers below – read them and weep.

$3,500 new, 2005-2007.

$1,200, refurbished, September 2009.

$300 used, 2013-2014.

PS if you need a digital camera for taking sports photos and you're halfway serious about it - this thing is a screaming bargain. I won't bore you with the link but if you're interested in this kind of stuff just Google Ken Rockwell.

We get off pretty easy - a lot of our detectors after five or six years are still worth way more than half the original retail price.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: You think your toys depreciate?
November 01, 2014 11:22AM
LOL, look at what some of the old Tesoros are bringing in today $$ wise. Not to mention the CZ5 and a few other machines.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 01, 2014 01:59PM
At least the depreciated detectors can still find treasure and would sell for some amount of money. Shoot, some of the hard to find coils (FZ12) command a premium over the original cost.

Try selling a top of the line lap top from 2005 !!!!
November 01, 2014 05:00PM
A lot of old vintage still bring good money and can still get the job done it certain sites. The White's XL-PRO still has a cult like following with relic and coin hunters a like. Then you take the XL-PRO and add the latest 3.0 Tone I.D. Mod. like I did and it makes a Great detector into an awesome detector! The latest version even speeds up the recovery some which was one of the negative's. Mrand even said it himself,But I could tell the difference before I read the post. Those who didn't notice must have had the older version.
November 01, 2014 05:13PM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least the depreciated detectors can still find
> treasure and would sell for some amount of money.
> Shoot, some of the hard to find coils (FZ12)
> command a premium over the original cost.
>
> Try selling a top of the line lap top from 2005
> !!!!

I'm one of those guys who has some of those old Nikon DSLR's and yeah, it hurts to think about the depreciation.

Funny you should mention the FZ-12, though. Mine literally just now got dropped off by USPS, and yes...my bank account is lighter today.
smiling smiley

(Many thanks to christopher-ohio for that! It looks awesome.)

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 05:29PM by Mike in CO.
November 01, 2014 08:01PM
Mike....good luck with the FZ12. I have one and it's a great coil. Just make sure you sweep it slow and control the coil.
November 01, 2014 09:25PM
Just to play Devils' Advocate: the reason cameras depreciate is a combination of "newer cameras are better" and "newer cameras are cheaper for the same performance". We know that with detectors, there is a certain technical "brick wall" that's hard to defeat, but the "cheaper" part should still be achievable, you might think, and "New CZ-5's" we would be buying would cost just 150 dollars. Sadly, that doesn't seem the case......

And as a footnote, digital cameras are also facing certain technical factors that are stunting their performance: there's basically no point making them with any more pixels than they currently have. For the general public, anything more than 4 or 5 megapixels is mostly superfluous, even the serious enthusiast would be happy with 15 MP. While you could doubtless make higher pixel-count sensors, the lenses would need to be suitable too, and that costs money, and few want it. And camera manufacturers know this, they don't bother adorning cameras with "8.2 MegaPixels" type slogans any more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 11:42PM by Pimento.
November 02, 2014 01:04AM
it's like anything in life, you will get what someone will pay for it, there are so many variables, it's like a box of buttons or coins, you never know what you get til you lok into the box smiling smiley
November 02, 2014 01:05PM
I've watched the Etrac drop in value $200 in a year. You could easily sell an E-trac for $950 in the used market a year ago...now $750 seems to be the going rate.....I blame the Deus for that