Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox - question on audio/signal modulation in detecting mode and pinpoint

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox - question on audio/signal modulation in detecting mode and pinpoint
February 27, 2018 06:12PM
Will appreciate it if those who are using the Equinox will please answer:

In detecting mode, is audio modulation over a full range, quiet on deep targets and getting more and more loud as the closeness to target increases? Full range meaning a smooth change over distance rather than a change in a number of steps, ie, 2 steps = quiet or loud (and nothing in between).

In pinpoint mode, is audio modulation, again, over a full range, ie, a constant rate of change relative to distance between coil and target, or again just in a series of steps?

Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 06:20PM by ncwayne.
Re: Equinox - question on audio/signal modulation in detecting mode and pinpoint
February 27, 2018 07:42PM
In detecting mode...... the Equinox has minimal modulated audio. A 3" deep dime......... sounds the same as a 10" deep dime. There's pro's & con's to this. . . . . . . . with the bottom line being: you're less likely to pass/miss a deep target. It is the pinpoint mode that is full VCO. This is what provides you the audio intel to tell breadth/width/girth sizing & depth of target.
Re: Equinox - question on audio/signal modulation in detecting mode and pinpoint
February 27, 2018 08:03PM
Other than the pinpoint, is there any other helpers with the target audio? I know when i run low modulation on my AKA, i can adjust the audio report length and there's also a target signal strength indicator. When used together it gives me loads of 'live as i sweep' target info without having to stop and switch to pinpoint.
February 27, 2018 08:15PM
Since the pinpoint mode has the more precise depth modulation it too bad they didn’t implement the
depth meter on that mode.. I don’t know if this was just overlooked or there is reasoning behind it.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 08:15PM by Cabin Fever.
February 27, 2018 09:11PM
It feels like the first 6-8" is not modulated but then after 8" signal does get softer/quieter and thinner like it is modulated. To me anyway.

Pin Point is so HOT to the depths disc is detecting anyway I haven't noticed much there. Detuning helps.
February 27, 2018 09:41PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In detecting mode...... the Equinox has minimal mo
> dulated audio. A 3" deep dime......... sounds the
> same as a 10" deep dime. There's pro's & con's to
> this. . . . . . . . with the bottom line being: yo
> u're less likely to pass/miss a deep target. It i
> s the pinpoint mode that is full VCO. This is what
> provides you the audio intel to tell breadth/width
> /girth sizing & depth of target.

This is interesting in that the other multi frequency machines from Minelab it's a semi-adjustable feature although most people do seem to run their volume gains very high. Coupling that with the default in most modes to user vs tracking GB , is this Minelabs way of trying to get the users to get the best out of their machines , whether they like it or not?
February 27, 2018 11:21PM
detectingMO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It feels like the first 6-8" is not modulated but
> then after 8" signal does get softer/quieter and t
> hinner like it is modulated. To me anyway.
>
> Pin Point is so HOT to the depths disc is detectin
> g anyway I haven't noticed much there. Detuning h
> elps.

I agree with your 1st statement Craig, actually I was playing around with it today for a couple hours, ie passing on the obvious (4-7" or so)copper penny signals and trying to discern 'anything' a little different, softer, a bit bouncy, etc to try and get some deeper items. snagged a silver quarter that was softer and id'ed a bit higher than the usual copper pennys, had some trash items near it (surprised me!). got a '33 penny (like new King George) that was deeper, softer and got a pretty solid, soft '12' (some 13) signal that was a deep buffalo (10"?), very grungey, with red oxidation under the grunge (no date)...I also notice that most of the soft green coated pennies (usually on one side) id higher, like up to 30, 31...along with the upper 20's bounces...I've found I don't need to pinpoint at all, and especially the deeper softer hits are right under the coil bolt. just wastes my time, lol. this 800 is a keeper, pretty impressed and only 8-10 hours on it. cheers..also, I used the Tek-point today for the 1st time and it's also a keeper, thanks Carl....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 11:31PM by canslawhero.
February 28, 2018 01:25AM
Good info - and well and clearly written - thanks

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold