Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Today's finds with the Teknetics G2 (correction, dime is 1896)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Today's finds with the Teknetics G2 (correction, dime is 1896)
December 07, 2014 11:17PM
Had a great afternoon with the G2 with 11 inch stock coil. Discrimination Mode. (set at 33). Ground balance was set at 57.
The bullet was found at around 8 inches. (there was also a couple of inches of leaves to see through) It sounded off good from all positions.
The 1895 Barber dime (by far, my favorite find of the day) was a mere approx. 4 inches. I ALMOST passed it up because it was sounding off like the 'top of the ground' litter. You know......kinda screamy. But I circled the dime (before I knew it was a coin of any type) and the meter showed a very steady 83. I had been over a silver dime in my test garden and it, too, showed a steady 83. So I had enough info floating around the vast recesses of my mind to determine that it just MIGHT.......be a silver dime. After digging it, I thought: "ALRIGHT.....a Merc!!! Ain't found one of them in a while. But it turned out to be a Barber Dime and I am happy to announce that it is my FIRST Barber dime. I LIKE first's.
The buckle? I don't know a thing about it. Probably some kind of horse tackle or something. Anyway, figured I share it with you guys.

Happy searching and Merry Christmas. kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2014 12:11AM by Kevin B.
Re: Today's finds with the Teknetics G2
December 08, 2014 03:30AM
Nice finds Kevin, those barbers look even nicer when you find your own, nice looking bullet & that buckle looks like me on a bad hair day? Happy Holidays!!
December 08, 2014 04:38AM
Great finds Kevin! I always like the looks of old silver coming out the ground. Barbers are sweet old dimes...digging the old bullets would be fun. Thanks for sharing...
December 08, 2014 03:57PM
Thank you guys, and Merry Christmas to ya both.
Re: Today's finds with the Teknetics G2 (correction, dime is 1896)
December 09, 2014 12:19AM
Guys, I was looking through the various 'Numismatic' (sp?) websites and it seems as if the 1895 Barber Dimes (even those with no mint mark) are worth around $65 in GOOD condition. The 1895 O is MUCH more valuable!!! I was getting happy....lol!!!!! And so I went in the other room to inspect the Barber dime under magnification with ample lighting, looking for that blessed "O" (it had no mint mark) and found instead that I had misrepresented this coin. It is actually an 1896. Worth about 6 bucks.
But no matter. It was still immensly satisfying to see that glint of silver among the crumbs of dirt.
Hey, I realize that my little Barber dime ain't the hot topic at the moment. But I figured that I would set my mistake right. Hope everyone of ya find something awesome on your next hunt!!!!! And on top of THAT.........here's wishing ya a Merry Christmas!!!!!
December 09, 2014 01:00AM
Great hunt Kevin! I find the G2 to be a pretty good coin machine in addition to a fantastic relic machine
December 09, 2014 12:53PM
Yes, I agree. I was in a location where Civil War relics have been found and the place, although now wooded, was used alot (from the shotgun hulls and 22 cal hulls, a place to go squirrel hunting), plus there is an incredibly old pile of bricks that have about been absorbed back into the earth plus the square nails (millions of the blasted things) that held the old home togther. Found pinfire casings, Henry rifle, a CSA rectangular belt plate (my hunting buddy found that, as luck would have it...lol), and many , many, 52 cal Sharps carbine bullets, 58 and 69 cal Minie Bullets, round balls, a pocketful of Teardrop (St Louis Arsenal) Navy Colt Revolver bullets), and an old powder flask. The place is brimming with history.
Anyway, I appreciate your reply. kevin
December 12, 2014 06:25PM
Sweet saves there Kevin.
December 12, 2014 07:49PM
Nice finds there Kevin!

Aaron
December 13, 2014 04:37PM
Thanks guys!!! And, Merry Christmas!
December 15, 2014 02:07AM
Nice looking find Kevin, gotta love the old silver.
December 15, 2014 05:22PM
Thanks Tom41!!!! And yes, I thoroughly enjoy seeing silver amongst the dirt and roots.