Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting near an old furnace site

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting near an old furnace site
December 15, 2014 03:07AM
Got permission to hunt an old furnace site near the tn river. This was a pretty busy place back in the mid to late 1800s. My question concerns the ground conditions I think there would be (iron ore) and then I'm sure some of the finished pig metal would be in the area. It's about a 2 hr drive and I m meeting the land owner there so I want to be effiecient as possible. Anybody know if an f75 will act ok at a spot like this. I Want get to go to mid January just trying to get our ducks in a row

Brian
Re: Detecting near an old furnace site
December 15, 2014 03:20AM
A F75 w 5" coil will do alright however if you've ever worked 1800s farms you know how much iron are in the ground, (nails, axe heads, nails, chucks of old rusted iron, nails, lengths of rusty chain, nails and more nails). So if your thinking of hunting in a 1800s industrial site, go in w the right mind set and maybe good neodymium magnet!

Aaron
December 15, 2014 03:29AM
Be sure to take 5 inch coil. More EMI friendly vs 7x11 coil. Also don't forget to run disc 6 or 7 single tone. Dig all good repeatable tones. You'll be surprised what may be pulled out of the iron.
December 15, 2014 08:18AM
Thanks. I'm gonna give that 5" another try. I tried it on a target in my backyard that was about 4 in that put out a great sound w the 11" and could barely get a grunt with it. And in my test garden it would not pick up anything. Could have been me Id just got the 75 and had not used much and since then I figured out the process your in affects all metal mode which might have been some of the problem. anyway gonna try the 5 again and see if it does better
December 15, 2014 10:27AM
5" coil is a great for picking out that non ferrous target surround by iron. If there is a lot of iron in the ground it is important to get the GB correct. While the 5 has gotten a lot of missed coins for me it can test your patience if in a rush. You can miss a lot of you don't slow down and work an area really thoroughly. Good luck with that site. It should give you a little experience in a rough site. I can imagine my ET would just "null" out and would just have no threshold tone. That's when I would break out the 75. HH JR
December 15, 2014 11:05AM
Tough place to hunt, could be impossible. Best spots may be where the old office buildings stood, verses the furnace grounds. Good luck.
December 15, 2014 03:06PM
We have an old coal beaker area near my residence and only way to hunt is with dynamite as the mineralization is a killer...Seems like you may run into the same situation as some areas are just impossible to hunt with any unit or coil...May be wrong but just my thoughts on the subject...