Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Used Equinox 600 for sale

Posted by pine3874 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Used Equinox 600 for sale
March 07, 2018 03:34AM
Anyone looking to get one
[www.treasureclassifieds.com]
Re: Used Equinox 600 for sale
March 07, 2018 04:30AM
That was fast! Already gone
March 07, 2018 04:55AM
I think I know who bought.
Good deal for someone who already had 800 unit. Put small coil on and rock and roll and pair 800s wireless to the 600.
March 07, 2018 05:08AM
That was fast must have got the 800

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 07, 2018 05:32AM
It was my machine...actually me and my buddy's. We went halves on the 600 for @#$%& & giggles. Not because we bought into any of that "obsolete" horse crap. No way was/is Minelab producing a $700 unit that would crush their flagship Etracs/CTX's. What we were ACTUALLY hoping for, was possibly an Etrac-lite (or something close) wrapped in a lightweight, waterproof body with a bit more speed. What we GOT was nothing like the traditional Minelab's in terms of sounds/performance. A great unit, to be sure, but very sparky, more like an Omega/AT Pro/F75 performance-wise. Would be a great unmasker for heavy trash/iron sites, or even an excellent beach unit, but for our specific application, which is hunting for deep coins in mineralized soil, there was just too many drawbacks, like...

*Loss of the FE/CO information
*Loss of modulation
*Loss of those exquisite flutey tones
*Loss of accurate VDI (especially at depth)

In addition, my buddy didn't like having to use a handheld pinpointer, as he's in love with his Sun-Ray. So, even taking into consideration the lighter weight, the waterproof aspect and the unit's speed/separation, what we were losing in exchange for that was simply too much...for OUR application in our dirt.

I really, really, REALLY wanted to like the unit, but you have to enjoy what you're swinging, and it has to be the right tool for the job. In this instance, it just wasn't a good fit. As a deep coin hunter, I'd EASILY go for an Etrac or Safari any day over the Equinox. But that's just me.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 05:33AM by njnydigger.
March 07, 2018 06:09AM
Lol

Weekend warrior!

And I don’t mean YOU Joe grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 06:15AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 07, 2018 07:08AM
Njnydigger I’ll agree with you that the Modulation in the first 5 or 6 inches is pretty much useless
and I wish the tones went higher, although the 800 has Audio customization that can help with this compared with the 600.
I only have about 8 hours on my Equinox but I have to say I was a bit shocked by it today..
It is deep.. I have to do more real life testing but my Equinox appears to be deeper then my E-Trac in mineralized ground..
It might not give as tight of an ID as the CTX and E-Trac but the tones and numbers are in the correct range and there is
no way you are going to pass digging the signal.. What I mean is that the ID does not fall off at depth into a different conductor range..

The Equinox is lighting fast compared to the FBS detectors and it brought a very stingy site to life for me today..
I’m not saying it’s perfect but as of today my E-Trac is on back up mode..

I’m an Old Coin Trurf hunter but I have a feeling Relic hunters who know how to set up a detector are going to love the Equinox..
It should be a button and bullet killer... It loves deep lead and very small copper..

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 07:25AM by Cabin Fever.
March 07, 2018 10:30AM
The Eq may not have made all VLF detectors obsolete but in some cases it may have made a few detectorists obsolete because of their inability to adjust to anything different. confused smiley
March 07, 2018 11:33AM
March 07, 2018 12:00PM
Steve H, great write....puts things in perspective with out going overboard....emphases on the bored, lol.
March 07, 2018 12:15PM
A very good write up Steve. The article simplifies what 10000 posts of arguing do not. Sounds like a nice beach machine which is what I consider my favorite hunting. I actually stopped reading most Equinox threads because of contradictions of posts.
March 07, 2018 12:32PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [url=http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic
> /5715-minelab-e-trac-ctx-3030-excalibur-versus-equ
> inox/]Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus E
> quinox[/url]

Awesome write up! I may have started to understand the difference between machines now!
March 07, 2018 01:05PM
My Nox is not going anywhere.
It flat out hunt old home sites.
My silver and nickel counts have went up and I have only been in one site with Nox I haven't hunted previously.
I am finding coins, silver too in areas where I have never found the first coin period (hunting these areas) on and off for 7 years. (Etrac, CTX, Deus, Racer, Impact, white's V3i using all with multiple sized coils)
Why?
I think I Know the reason.
Yeah Deus is giving signals on most of these but when the coins are tangled in iron ID gets pulled down, tone too. These sites do have some modern trash. I ain't about to dig every nonferrous signal given by Deus.
Enter Equinox, it actually IDs the high conductors for what they are, even highly challenged ones.
How do I know this.
Equinox on head to head with Deus and LF coils.
Deus wouldn't even see some Equinox located targets. Yet Equinox would not only see but ID correctly. This was verified by digging the finds and airtesting them.
Relic hunters, Equinox will hunt right behind Deus and has capability to pull finds in polluted sites Deus with LF coil will miss.

Equinox is the best old home site detector I have ever seen for my area. And I have only used stock coil. Can't wait to use smaller coil.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 01:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 07, 2018 01:39PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> [url=http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic
> /5715-minelab-e-trac-ctx-3030-excalibur-versus-equ
> inox/]Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus E
> quinox[/url]

Bryan (Cabin Fever), you make very good points that I happen to agree with, and I'm sure my lack of more extensive experimentation with the unit had a hand in its limited (for me) performance, and ultimately, my opinion of the unit. But I saw ENOUGH in 4 or 5 outings to realize that my Etrac was better suited for my specific style of hunting, at my types of locations.

The thing which gets mentioned a lot in detector comparisons is that so and so machine can hit deep targets, or unit A is deeper than unit B, etc. And that's all fine and well, however, for me, being able to HIT on a coin is only a small part of the battle. The larger part of the equation is how the machine INTERPRETS that signal. What kinds of clues does it give up? My Etrac (as most Minelabs do) has such a richness or differentiation of tones that it makes it VERY easy for me to hunt by ear, which is what I mainly go by when I first get a signal. From there, accurate VDI and modulation offer further assistance on whether to make a dig/no dig decision. Yes, the Equinox had SOME of those abilities, however, not all of them, or not as good as the Etrac does. In short, it quickly became apparent that I'd basically have to have my eyes glued to the screen of the Equinox to hunt effectively, which is not my style at all.

Steve H, excellent write up, and I agree 110%. I actually think the Equinox is more like a Deus/F75/T2/AT Pro, etc. Meaning, in my opinion, it's really intended more as an unmasker than anything else. Not saying it cannot or will not excel at finding deep turf silver or for other applications, it's just that that's not it's specialty. To use an analogy, the Equinox is kind of like the swiss army knife of metal detectors. It can do a whole lot of things fairly well, but none of them as well as a specialized standalone unit would be able to do. At least that's my take.

I mentioned this here a while back when the Equinox's were first announced. It is VERY difficult (if not impossible) for a detector to have the trifecta of supersonic speed, killer depth AND accurate target i.d. capability. That is simply too much information for a machine to process at one time, and obviously there has to be some limitations or concessions made with current technology. Want speed? You'll probably have to sacrifice extreme depth. Want accurate i.d. at depth? You might very well have to sacrifice the speed a little. So on and so forth. And I didn't like what I gave up with the 600 for the little I gained. Tradeoff wasn't worth it for me, but maybe it will be for others.

To summarize...If I was a beach hunter, or relic guy who hunted trash-laden sites, I would've kept the machine and I think it would've been a great unit. But as I'm 90% a deep coin hunter on turf, a specialized unit like my trusty Etrac simply makes more sense, and does the job better for me.
March 07, 2018 04:01PM
I'm a long time Etrac user and recently acquired an Equinox 600. Like the seller of the 600, I hunt for deep silver coins in turf.

I initially wasn't impressed by the depth of the Equinox; however, after experimenting with modes and settings, I seem to be getting comparable depth now. Last weekend I dug a pull tab, with ring attached, at close to 10 inches, hoping it would be a war nickel. The signal was strong and clear. I dug a wheat cent at 7 or 8 inches on the same hunt.

Once the large coil comes on the market, I hope to achieve greater depth than the Etrac with less weight. The depth meter on the Etrac is more accurate; but, when the depth meter on the Equinox is pegged at 5 triangles, that's enough information to convince me to dig.

I won't give up my Etrac; but, I think these two detectors are going to work well together.
March 07, 2018 08:45PM
all the videos that i see the 800 is staying up with the big boys,just wondering if the 600 does have less depth than the 800
March 07, 2018 09:02PM
That would have been a Good one for Daniel to try out in that Ole' Hot ground He has.
March 07, 2018 10:29PM
njnydigger --

You and I (and Bayard) hunt VERY similarly, with similar intent, for similar targets. I totally get what you both are saying...and -- having an EQ 800 now, I get what Cabin Fever is saying, also. I agree with you all.

The one thing I will say, is that in addition to the occasional times I hit the beach, or the relic field, or the gold field (which would be "Equinox" sites, for me), I also see some application for my turf coin hunting. While it is DEEP (as Bayard notes), I agree with you Joe that it's a bit more than just "depth" -- and that "nuance" that is needed beyond "depth" is provided definitively by FBS. So, my CTX is going NOWHERE, given that the majority of the time I am specifically "deep coin hunting." HOWEVER, the application I see for the EQ when coin hunting, is when a site is more trashy than usual. In the past, my choice on such a site was "switching to a small coil on my FBS unit." Now, I can see the choice being, instead of a choosing a small coil on the FBS unit, switching to the Equinox instead. I do think that in the trash, the EQ -- even with the 11" stock coil -- beats FBS with a small coil, and I don't think it's even close...

And it's nice that in addition, it gives up little, if any depth to FBS. So, you don't feel "handicapped" if hunting a trashy site that ALSO holds DEEP coins. FBS still seems "better" to me, in that application, due to the nuances Joe mentioned. But, the Equinox is NO slouch...

Anyway, great thoughts, gents.

Steve
March 07, 2018 11:33PM
Worst case scenario is that the Equinox is maybe the ultimate team mate to an FBS Detector..
It might be too that those with more mild ground might not see the benefits of Multi -IQ as those of us with
bad ground.. It runs very quiet compared to my CTX and E-Trac..
Speed even at the slower Recovery settings are in a different league to FBS..
There are several changes I would like to see though..
It has me dreaming of the Equinox 1000.

Bryan
March 08, 2018 12:01AM
steveg Wrote:
> njnydigger --
>
> You and I (and Bayard) hunt VERY similarly, with s
> imilar intent, for similar targets. I totally get
> what you both are saying...and -- having an EQ 800
> now, I get what Cabin Fever is saying, also. I ag
> ree with you all.
>
> The one thing I will say, is that in addition to t
> he occasional times I hit the beach, or the relic
> field, or the gold field (which would be "Equinox"
> sites, for me), I also see some application for my
> turf coin hunting. While it is DEEP (as Bayard no
> tes), I agree with you Joe that it's a bit more th
> an just "depth" -- and that "nuance" that is neede
> d beyond "depth" is provided definitively by FBS.
> So, my CTX is going NOWHERE, given that the majori
> ty of the time I am specifically "deep coin huntin
> g." HOWEVER, the application I see for the EQ whe
> n coin hunting, is when a site is more trashy than
> usual. In the past, my choice on such a site was
> "switching to a small coil on my FBS unit." Now,
> I can see the choice being, instead of a choosing
> a small coil on the FBS unit, switching to the Equ
> inox instead. I do think that in the trash, the E
> Q -- even with the 11" stock coil -- beats FBS wit
> h a small coil, and I don't think it's even close.
> ..
>
> And it's nice that in addition, it gives up little
> , if any depth to FBS. So, you don't feel "handic
> apped" if hunting a trashy site that ALSO holds DE
> EP coins. FBS still seems "better" to me, in that
> application, due to the nuances Joe mentioned. Bu
> t, the Equinox is NO slouch...
>
> Anyway, great thoughts, gents.
>
> Steve

VERY well said, Steve G. thumbs down To be clear, the Nox is a KILLER unit. And if I was more of a multi-tasking type of hunter, who searched for coins a few times per month, then worked the beaches for a couple of weeks, then went into relic mode during the spring and fall, etc., I would've ABSOLUTELY kept it, as for that type of hunter, you have the best of all worlds wrapped up into one detector. But as I'm basically a one-trick-pony nowadays, I don't want/need a machine that can only do 80% of what a dedicated coin hunting unit can do better.

I feel very confident that an Etrac can outhunt an Equinox for coin hunting on turf any day, as that's its specialty. However, as you said, throw some heavier trash or iron into the mix and the Nox will kick the Etrac's ass. Even on the beach, where I'd kind of rate the Etrac and the Nox a dead heat, I'd still give the ultimate edge to the Nox, as if both have the same depth, the Nox would win based on the goodies it would pluck next to iron, which the Etrac would suffer miserably at.

But for ONE singular type of hunting (deep coins), I don't need anything other than those magic FBS tones, that killer depth and the informative VDI. The lighter weight, the unit being waterproof and the lightening fast speed is nice, but not worth giving up all of the former for.

My buddy and I considered keeping the Nox as a backup for those difficult iron laden sites or maybe to hit the beach, but we hunt those kind of spots so rarely that it would be like having a $600 paperweight in the trunk of our cars.

No matter what, Minelab deserves MAJOR props from the detecting community, as they have done what's long been wished for by thousands of hunters. They managed to come out with a true multi-frequency machine that's lightweight, gets amazing depth, and has superior speed/separation, all for $600 to $800. That is no small feat, and it's going to be tough for the other manufacturers to top, let alone equal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 12:02AM by njnydigger.