Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Okay I'm tired

Posted by rubydarlene 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Okay I'm tired
April 28, 2014 01:30AM
Been searching for over 10 years and I've not found what I need yet.
Need help
What is it with the red clay dirt. Want a machine that can detect a 7" dime in this blasted red clay dirt. I know it is full of iron minerals, but there has to be a machine on this big blue planet that can penetrate this stuff. Of course it can't bankrupt my account.
Re: Okay I'm tired
April 28, 2014 01:31AM
PI machine
April 28, 2014 01:37AM
Certainly never hunted in your soil but from what I read Michigan is spot on.
One wonders how a Nautilus would do as the Southern guys swear by them...
April 28, 2014 01:50AM
Have you tried any of the FBS machines, Etrac, Explorer?

Aaron
April 28, 2014 02:34AM
I hut red clay and if you want depth with i.d. get a FBS..

Dan the guy who owned Nautilus Steven Garris passed away recently...

The original owner is stil alive Jerry Tyndall but hes retired...

theres suposedly is a guy named wayne who owns 25% of the company trying to do work but is not up to speed on all aspects...Sad situation for Nautilus..They had a lighter smaller DMC in the works too I hear.. That would of been awesome..

I think it ought to be madatory for everyone who wants to learn detecting to spend 2 years on a Nautilus..it will teach you things about targets and how a machine works you never imagined..

I hear Jerry Talley is doing coil repair work for them on a first come first serve basis..and as you know a Nautilus needs the coils calibrated about once every year or two.......Cant tell you how many times my nautilus coils have went out of whack,...

Still think it the most powerful detector ever built depth wise in decent dirt its unreal...Very finicky at times to run though. but its a maxed out analog monster...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 02:45AM by Keith Southern.
April 28, 2014 07:36AM
This is an age-old problem that design engineer's have been contending with..... for decades.
If only you could try (before you buy) a XP GMP or FBS (prefer CTX-3030) ...... just to see if there is any form of ID-at-depth improvement.
April 28, 2014 08:09AM
The thing is, if they could make a machine that could ID a 7 inch dime in your dirt, they could make one that ID's a dime at 14 inches in the kind of milder dirt that most of us have. And they can't do that.
April 28, 2014 03:57PM
A TDI PI in the hi conductor mode, just dig the hi conductors.
April 29, 2014 01:55PM
I've dug some deep stuff using a 1266x in my red Georgia clay but if your wanting something with ID I'd get a Etrac or a AT-Gold. I have tried PI machines their alright if your wanting to dig relics in the woods but if your hunting coins you will dig a ton of trash due to them not having disc abilities.
April 29, 2014 02:53PM
Hey 88junior,

What kind of depth were you getting in that red clay w the 1266x

Thanks

Aaron
April 29, 2014 06:07PM
Aaron I dug a 1907 barber dime at 11" which amazed me!! I dug Civil War minnie balls at 10" using it. But if you have ever used one you know those targets could have just as well had been a big nail but I always had to check those deeper sounding targets out. That old 1266x was quite a deep one.
April 29, 2014 06:41PM
Hey junior88, yes like I've said before that machine set the benchmark nearly 30yrs ago.

I've gotta get mine out on a beach....

Thanks

Aaron
April 30, 2014 03:52AM
My 1265x goes deeper than anything I have used in disc mode...so I think! The other night I dug up two small canadian silver 5 cent pieces (like the capped bust half dime size) and they were down 8" or 9"!! However, I also dig up a crap load of rusty nails down that deep too that mess me up all the time. They all sound pretty deep in the pin point mode. It just makes me wonder...why not just hunt using all metal mode with my old whites coinmaster or teknetics mark 1 and just dig those deep faint sounding targets!!! Will I do any worse than I did using the 1265x which obviously is not that great at telling a silver coin from a rust nail down past 8" anyway? I wonder!!
April 30, 2014 05:03AM
Keep this in mind as I read it on another forum. (Finds)
As others have said, try the CTX3030 in ground coin mode (bad ground) AND with the salt setting enabled. Pulled a deep gold too actually.
A man with terrible ground has been getting 8"+ with those settings and without the salt setting enabled it was a different machine.

Best luck and let us know if you find a machine that works,
Albert
March 11, 2015 06:15PM
I found this post while doing a search. I read all of the replies and wonder why a CZ-3D was not mentioned as a contender? True, I owned a CZ-3d Certified and validated by NasaTom. I have a chance to receive that same unit back. I never used a ten inch coil on it. But I can buy one, I think. So, by taking this topic back to the top (as it seems relevant today as it did when it was first threaded) I am hoping to get some more feedback. The CZ that I had, and may possibly by back, was certified at 12.2 inches. I was very new to detecting. (I sound like a stuck record) But I never gave this unit a sincere try nor did I try to learn it. I have several old sites where this unit could possibly bring up an old dime or quarter. There ARE a few nails. But not fully carpeted with nails. Does the CZ operate best with NO TRASH or can it be a contender in SOME trash (old nails). Thanks for your patience. kevin
March 11, 2015 07:47PM
Hello Kevin no expert here just glad I had the cz5(3d specs) before I picked up Cz3D both validated by Tom you can run the cz5 full Sens. runs very stable then I got the 3d and it was " sparky " at around 7 on the Sens. and with a extra foil tone. It was a little confusing at first (3D) but I enjoy both and both are a little deeper than my T2 & E-Trac in air-tests & HH & CZ stands for curse zee nails ( some sound just 2 good ) unless your looking for a homestead/activity !!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 08:08PM by rapidroy7.
March 12, 2015 02:28AM
RapidRoy7, does the CZ-3d (or, CZ platform) not handle old homesites very well?? (The reason I ask is because I wasn't real clear on the 'homestead/activity' reference that you made. I find most of my coins amongst the debris left by old homesites (in the front yard, under the clothes-line, etc) And where there was children, there is always foil gum wrappers, hot wheels cars, and other objects. Or do they prefer a clean yard/ballpark/playground scenario? Thank you for the reply. And a very Happy Detecting to you!!!! Hope that this year will be the BIG year for you as far as great finds go. kevin
March 12, 2015 03:22AM
Was not real clear there, when your not sure where a structure used to be in field/woods until you hear the iron/nails. Love the audio of a CZ, two frequencies , and a salt switch for some beach somewhere, just a solid unit from the coil to the armrest! thanks to all involved & HH P.s. Nasa Tom has CZ report on page 4 of random thoughts! Thanks for the report Tom!!
March 12, 2015 04:42AM
Thanks RapidRoy7. I'll check the Random Thoughts thread out. Heck, I might just get my (used to be mine, but not now) CZ-3D back. I might get an extra 10 inch coil to play with. I have this feeling that I didn't give that unit a good, intelligent, chance. It was a bad decision on my part to sell. Back then (three or four years ago) I was selling and buying detectors so much that the UPS man was a regular here at the house! I wish that I had kept that unit and learned it really well. I've slowed down.......some. I don't buy and sell near as much......but cash has become tighter. The CZ would likely be a good companion detector to my F19. I'm going to sleep on it. I appreciate your feedback!!! Sincerely. kevin