Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Enough NOX talk... What is your detecting weapon of choice

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Enough NOX talk... What is your detecting weapon of choice
March 14, 2018 04:06AM
Lets catch our breath and side track a bit.

What is your most used detector, why, etc etc.
Are you happy with what you have or are you planing on switching ?

I've been using a 1021 Tom D Tweaked CZ3D with a Sunray 12" Invader and am moving over to a Equinox as soon as I can get one.
No... the CZ3D will not be for sale. I use it because I do not have to think about the mechanics of using it and this allows me to concentrate on finding targets quickly.
This machine goes deeper than I care to dig. Its just a great all around analog machine. The tones and variation of the tones are so easy to understand.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 12:02PM by Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant.
Re: Enough NOX talk... What is your detecting weapon of choice
March 14, 2018 04:10AM
Yeah I have an Etrac and CZ-3D also I will not get rid of.
Also have a New Tone Golden uMax that can breakdown easy and fit in a Backpack. These 3 are all I need.
March 14, 2018 09:06AM
Deus with 11X13" coil.
March 14, 2018 09:21AM
I have a Deeptech Vista Warrior with a Super Six coil. Haven't used it yet but have owned a couple Vista Golds and a Vista Smart and really liked them. Wanted to try another Deeptech model so I got the Warrior.
March 14, 2018 09:33AM
Beach hunting I use BBS units. Sovereign and Excal. A chest mounted Sovereign with a carbon fiber handled scoop in the other hand.
March 14, 2018 09:34AM
Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 09:35AM by goodmore.
March 14, 2018 09:56AM
I've been a F 75 user ever since they first came out and I gave the 1st edition camo version a try. And to this day I still love the F 75. Its deep, light weight, separates wonderful and I know it like the back of my hand. I am on the back side of my hunting days and while I do try out and have other detectors in my arsenal, I can't envision never having a F 75 to swing. HH jim tn
March 14, 2018 12:08PM
It was the Explorer SE for about ten years but I sold that about four months ago in anticipation of the Equinox which never came. I finally canceled the order on the EQX but I'm glad I sold the Explorer.

It forced me to use my T2 SE more and I can't believe what I've been missing. I've been going back to sites that I've pounded with the Explorer for years and digging tons of targets. Six coppers at one place, four at another and lots of relics. I liked the T2 so much that I recently bought an F75 LTD.

The Explorer SE was also my main beach machine. I have a CZ20 as well but stopped using it when I got the Explorer. Now I'm back with the CZ20 and loving it. It's still a hassle to use hip mounted but gets nearly twice the depth.

When is Fisher going to make a detector specifically designed for the beach? I've been asking that for over fifteen years. They really dropped the ball on that one. A CZ for the beach would be a top contender even today.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 12:17PM by Badger in NH.
March 14, 2018 12:13PM
Its gotta be my nox 800. So fast, stable, versatile, picks coins out of trash like you would not believe, handles my orange dirt with ease, its deep and ID;s at depth .
Liteweight and I love the wireless headphones. And no I'm not a minelab dealer. smiling bouncing smiley
March 14, 2018 12:39PM
I switch between the CTX and Deus , mostly the CTX when it's really trashy or counts.
I have hunted a couple of times with a friend and his new Equinox and I'm still waiting for him to show me an "aha" moment.
IF that comes I'll become more motivated to try one.
March 14, 2018 12:53PM
My standard answer for 20+ years...CZ6a.

It always finds good stuff for me.
March 14, 2018 01:12PM
Old coins are my bag....if a relic or jewelry gets pulled, it's all good.

I keep the 11"dd coil on the anniversary edition F-75. I have dug so many old coins and goodies with this unit.... I may have to put it in a glass display case in the future.

Have the 5"dd on the boost F-75 LTD for high iron/trash areas. Never would get it upgraded for fear of loosing the spark. Scalpel like in high trash. All metal is deep.

When field hunting, little trash, I use my 1021 CZ3d 10.5" coil. Pulled a gold coin with this baby. It has a place in my heart, sweet unit.
March 14, 2018 01:32PM
Racer 2 is the best all around unit.....for deep silver CZ's excel....
March 14, 2018 01:58PM
I'm a huge fan of my F75LTD with DST. It is my favorite. I find there is nothing sweeter than using a stable F75. I use a bunch of others on a regular basis depending on what I'm doing but the F75LTD/DST is my top shelf. It is the only detector I'd be comfortable with owning if I could only have one machine choice. Just sweet.

HH
Mike
March 14, 2018 02:57PM
I will stay with my cz-3d. Easy set up, easy to use and great depth and made for my type of hunting.
March 14, 2018 03:09PM
AKA Signum and a Nokta Impact.
March 14, 2018 03:12PM
Not trying to be mean here, but I can't see the point of threads like this. I mean it's fine to "get to know one another" through someone's detector, but if you are looking for that "silver bullet" metal detector, it just doesn't exist, yet. I see too much push on detectors based on opinion instead of fact. While you can run tests and show so many different results, it can never be a precise representation on it's effect in a real hunt.
March 14, 2018 03:34PM
I like this topic. I think it's very useful information. Most of the people here are very avid detectorists with decades of experience. If one or two detectors stand out from the crowd, it means something. For me it's nice to know that the F75 LTD is still a top favorite because I just bought one.

March 14, 2018 04:31PM
Get out your umbrellas. Its starting to rain. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Just adding a few more words.

I'm happy with what I have for the most part. The F75LTD/DST model keeps me happy. The V3 keeps me entertained and I'm about ready to send it in for the update. The recent addition of the Etrac has been pretty cool as I really like the High Density Trash setting on it. That is a killer feature. I have a new G2+LTD sharing coils with my 8500, which is kind of neat as these two units are like a matched set. And a couple of Tesoro's.

Really looking forward to the Gold Kruzer though.

My coil count is getting out of hand, though. Wife is starting to comment about them. I had to tell her coils are like fishing lures. Each one does a different thing for a different type of fish. Not sure she's buying it judging on the eye rolls, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. HA!

But when I really need to raise some cash the only unit not for sale is the F75LTD. That one is my keeper.

HH
Mike
Re: For high conductors I like..
March 14, 2018 04:31PM
For cherry picking high conductors in high trash areas my pick would be the Tesoro Pantera, a 2 tone notch control machine with all analog controls. It nabs low conductors just fine but trash to treasure ratio goes down hill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 04:34PM by Hombre.
March 14, 2018 06:50PM
Really interesting to see that so many folks have not made a switch over to newer detectors. Makes a large statement.
March 14, 2018 06:55PM
For deep old coin hunting I opt for my Tom tuned CZ 6a and CTX 3030. I have gotten hundreds of buffalo nickels and V nickels with my CZ. For relic hunting in old sites with lots of cut nails and iron I opt for with my Mojavr, Vaquero or Tejon with 5.75 concentric coils if carpet of nails or Deus. To be honest though, no new machines over the years has produced hardly anything at all in my earlier sites that were pounded heavily with Tesoros, Bandido2 micromax, eldorado, vaquero etc. The Tesoros with a 5.75 concentric coil simply leave nothing behind. I am interested in trying the vista gold gain with the super six coil though.
March 14, 2018 06:55PM
XP Deus and Makro Kruzer
March 14, 2018 07:00PM
Racer & Racer 2
March 14, 2018 07:21PM
Nokta Impact
March 14, 2018 08:18PM
...thru the last year or two I have reviewed about a dozen + new detectors...all of them did the same job...some were better others were weaker...the cheaper units - $200 - $450 would be the weaker but not necessarily the worst performers! Also reviewed several pin pointer's that also more or less did the same job, one or two would stand head and shoulders above the others for build and longevity in use without trouble (Carrott, great)

All of that activity took a toll on my shoulder's and couple that with a few falls (yes, I fell from a few hedges while hedge-jumping without walking to the gates and also slipped down a few wooded embankments) so I damaged my detector shoulder (and weakened my digging shoulder sternoclavicular articulation joint) (broke a detector and lost a pin pointer last year)

So, if I go teccying for pleasure (which I am doing almost daily since October last) I'm using the 'Deus' almost exclusively.
I'm also not into [ huge depth ] so I favour standard and smaller coils over big ones - anything beyond 10" I'm not really interested in because [ most of ] my good targets are anywhere from 2" - 8 - 10"

I've retired my heavier units, the E Trac and Excalibur 1000 as I don't do much beach hunting because the last few years we've been in a kind of stalemate with few bad storms that resulted in little sand movement.
I'm happy enough to skip along the dry and semi wet sands with a shallow hunter such as the Garrett AT Pro or AT Max (which is more stable in the salt) - they're also light enough to use without aggravating my shoulder.

Another FAV weapon of choice is the original T2 but, for some reason I could never work quietly beyond Sens 77, without that unstable Threshold (could never use @ 99) but I like using it because it really grabs the tiny items from well worked areas.

So, to answer your Q. my current weapon of choice is DEUS.
Why?
It's so lightweight and is perfect on my farm sites that lucky for me are still mostly in stubble, finds aren't deep (fields get plowed each year so they rotate up and down) and it's easy digging.

Good Hunting

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 08:21PM by Des D.
March 14, 2018 08:23PM
For me i use 3 regular machines,Deus everyday use including another complete Deus unit,original T2 from 2006/7 and my TDI Pro,these are my main machines but i do have many others for site specific use.
March 14, 2018 09:20PM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For cherry picking high conductors in high trash a
> reas my pick would be the Tesoro Pantera, a 2 tone
> notch control machine with all analog controls. It
> nabs low conductors just fine but trash to treasur
> e ratio goes down hill.

I heard that You can take a Pantera and set the tone break on Square pull tab and some gold rings will have a different type sound?
March 14, 2018 10:11PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For cherry picking high conductors in high trash
> a
> > reas my pick would be the Tesoro Pantera, a 2 to
> ne
> > notch control machine with all analog controls.
> It
> > nabs low conductors just fine but trash to treas
> ur
> > e ratio goes down hill.
>
> I heard that You can take a Pantera and set the to
> ne break on Square pull tab and some gold rings wi
> ll have a different type sound?

I dig all kinds of pulltabs, just not many gold rings....LOL

I have dug pulltabs all over the conductivity scale, from mid teens (14/15) to as high of a conductor as a dime (79/80) on the White's scale of conductivity.

You just don't know until it is dug up and looked at.
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Not trying to be mean here, but I can't see the po
> int of threads like this. I mean it's fine to "get
> to know one another" through someone's detector, b
> ut if you are looking for that "silver bullet" met
> al detector, it just doesn't exist, yet. I see too
> much push on detectors based on opinion instead of
> fact. While you can run tests and show so many dif
> ferent results, it can never be a precise represen
> tation on it's effect in a real hunt.

Your point is noted however the objective of the thread is to obtain opinions whether by fact or by the users personal preferences. We could even say by their feelings about it.

This social interaction provides insight from others perspectives that may or may not be helpful, accurate or even entertaining. Lets take a chance on it.....Beyonder-Pa you're welcome to voice an opinion about your gear, we do not judge anyone here however if your using a radio shack bounty hunter,,,,, I might

have to rescind that comment.... lol

We all can judge for ourselves and choose to use or ignore any content that is posted. The thread is informal and not meant to be a technical discussion but maybe just for $#it's & Giggles. Any useful information, insight or monumental epiphany moments will be pure happenstance.

This current thread is also a nice departure / distraction from the epidemic NOX posts which some have previously mentioned as being boring. BTW I don't mind all of the NOX posts but there are other topics that are just as informative and entertaining.

Anyone wanting to startup a tech discussion is welcome. Tom D's area of expertise resides in the scientific and on the technical side and he is occasionally drawn in on those discussions.... which is always extremely informative and truly entertaining

Now with this new found clarity regarding what this post is about, lets get back to it.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant