Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is it me or does Keith Southern scare you guys too?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is it me or does Keith Southern scare you guys too?
May 26, 2015 10:10AM
I watch all of Keiths videos cause they're very informative but when he retrieves a target I'm scared to death he's gonna chop a awesome once in a lifetime find into. LOL I guess I am a nervous person. Keith have you ever damaged a target using that dirt slayer you use? I always use a shovel or a Lesche hand digger trying to be as careful as I can not to damage a find but even with those I've done damage to a few of my finds.
Re: Is it me or does Keith Southern scare you guys too?
May 26, 2015 11:35AM
You are not alone! smiling smiley---I cringe all the time when I see Keith slinging that shovel.-----How do you get by with it Keith?----Obviously you are more precise in your digging than I am! LOL
May 26, 2015 12:18PM
I don't fear for the target as much as for the English language with that accent of his smiling smiley

I don't understand why everyone has an accent except me!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 12:25PM by shoveler.
May 26, 2015 12:20PM
You actually get pretty good at using those after a while. I had one of the nice Predator Tools version of the e tool...and wore the blade down to a nub from so much use. I bought a replacement and someone stole it out of my truck bed. I do recall one time though I was digging minie balls in a site, and I had to resort to using the e tool in chop mode. I had a signal that was a no brainer minie ball signal...and it just disappeared. Gone. I started to dig again and saw something stuck to my shovel blade...and there the minie was, almost cut entirely in half but still stuck to the blade. Hahah.
May 26, 2015 02:08PM
Imagine we have all scratched a nice coin or two over the years (just part of the hobby) especially those real deepies or hard to find targets. Imagine after years of practice Keith
has become quite proficient so doubt if he has much problems along that line.
May 26, 2015 02:25PM
Go to your local Medical Center and think up a scientific reason to sit behind the glass in the surgery suite and Watch---ANY tool selected by the surgeon is handled in a masterful manner. We have our own master surgeon---Keith Southern.
May 26, 2015 02:39PM
check out the '16 SLQ the digger rubbed and scratched to see why you should be careful....

[metaldetectingforum.com]
May 26, 2015 03:31PM
I asked him if he had wrist problems yet but yeah I would think the way he chops the ground at some point he is going to wish he used a spade...but his shoes scare me for sure???

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 26, 2015 04:20PM
The old vietnam surplus shovels like that were all the old relic hunters used around here. I had one and never replaced it when I broke it.
May 26, 2015 06:00PM
I still use the old military shovels like Keith uses. Not those cheap ones with the spike on the back of the blade. Those can seriously injure you. If you have one of those then please grind or cut the spike off. All of the old relic hunters around here did and still do use the old style shovels. Super tough and light weight. You can tell the old timers like Keith have dug thousands of relics because of the confidence they have in swinging that shovel like a hoe digging potatoes. Rarely scratching a good target. I still use mine as a strait shovel for fear of damaging that once in a lifetime relic. Slower, yes. But I am not in a hurry and the ground I dig in is not rocky or hardpacked red clay. The L shape does cut through roots easier however. A friend of mine has an eagle breast plate with a perfect cut completely through the center where he got careless swinging the shovel like Keith. He still talks about it after over thirty years even though he has several really nice ones in his collection.
May 26, 2015 09:53PM
Well I damage more with the Lesche hand digger than I do the E tool...The small hand tools i find in my soild I dig small holes dead on and I hit stuff...the etool I dig big holes away form the targets and Miss stuff...

I know where to swing and i usually start out in front of the signal...

In this dirt youc na use a shovel or a hand digger much...the ground is so hard..full fo rocks red clay and roots and such.. the best method is chopping...believe me Ive used everything under the sun...

I know when Wayne was down here he was asking why I dig like I do ..after a few attempts at digging he saw why...

the chopping method just plain works...

I wish I was somewhere where I could shove a shovel into the dirt with my foot..but it aint happening in my neck fo the woods..

Ive used these 1944 shovels for over 30 years now...getting harder to find though....use to buy them for 5 bucks and army navy surplus...now there 40.00 bucks or so...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 26, 2015 10:54PM
canslawhero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> check out the '16 SLQ the digger rubbed and
> scratched to see why you should be careful....
>
> [metaldetectingforum.com]
> 4016

That Standin' Lib. still looks mighty fine to me!
May 26, 2015 11:14PM
Keith scares me when he test a new/different detector. Makes me a bit itchy lol.

He really should be working I feel for one of the major detector manufacturers. A detector designed as he sees fit would be a whopper of a detector. Very talented individual, no doubt. I was perusing the forum a few days ago. I happen to read Keith's first post on this forum. I also read several more of his past posts. What can one say??? Hard to put into words really. I'll try. How about great helpful threads/posts/videos from a very humble gentleman.
May 26, 2015 11:25PM
Poor Keith – now he will he will have to throw away all his hats - any normal person's head would swell two sizes with all this praise LOL

Not that I don't agree with all of it mind you!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 27, 2015 01:54AM
Keith, you ever try an Apex pick? Seems like maybe easier to bust threw that soil. Ive only hit a powder flask with mine, lol. Almost smashed a killer toungue last week. Only screw up when I get tired/careless.
Anonymous User
May 27, 2015 02:05AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> canslawhero Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > check out the '16 SLQ the digger rubbed and
> > scratched to see why you should be careful....
> >
> >
> [metaldetectingforum.com]
>
> > 4016
>
> That Standin' Lib. still looks mighty fine to me!

With only 52,000 minted I think demand is going to overpower supply especially in that condition. Should pretty well be able to name his price with a little patience if he decides to sell it. I agree that the coin looks mighty fine. I don't think the scratch is going to be as big of factor as it would be with a higher mintage coin. It is a dug coin and a scratch on a dug coin will not necessarily degrade it as much as a circulated or un-circulated coin. If I were going to scratch one I would pleased with that scratch.