Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carefully chosen....

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Carefully chosen....
March 23, 2018 04:48PM
I've noticed that this forum has become one big billboard for Minelab Equinox. Is that by accident or by design? I only bring this up because its has gotten to the point that if you aren't interested in the Equinox you have no reason to visit here anymore unless its to use the search feature.

HH
Mike
Re: Carefully chosen....
March 23, 2018 04:56PM
Maybe its just me. I probably just need to post more about what I like using and doing.

HH
Mike
March 23, 2018 05:04PM
Its a hot topic for sure and not just here. I wonder if part if this is a vacuum left by the reduced presence of NASA Tom. I still have 2 CZ3Ds from his DVDs (now if he'd just do one with the Equinox... sorry). In addition, (and maybe not unrelated?) there has been an increase in snarky posts and exchanges. People post what's on their mind and responses drive how long they stay up on the forum front line. This has been the best read for tech and technique in detecting that I have found. Its still my first look in the morning, but my enthusiasm is fading. Mike your input and several others have been gold in my scoop. I hope you don't bail out.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 23, 2018 05:04PM
Yep, Mike, but did you read the wish list for the EQ? The unit can't be all that, if the owners need/want many other options. I'll wait a little longer to see what else comes up.

Mike and everyone else....lets see a topic other than EQ reads.....tell us some stories detecting related....or close. Show some finds etc.
March 23, 2018 05:23PM
Ozzie -- Regarding that wish list. Don't look at it as a list of negatives that stop its performance. You can take anything and make suggestions on what might make it better. That's because nothing is perfect. The Japanese have a word for it...kaizen. It basically means continuous improvement.

I made a few suggestions/comments on what I think could make it better. While at the same, my opinion is that I've not found a better detector that can come close to it in the way that it is NOW for the type hunting I do.
March 23, 2018 06:14PM
I think it's a bit childish to resent people posting on the Equinox or any recently released detector. They are breaking news but not necessarily fake news. If you're not hitting the NEW TOPIC button and posting something that is of interest to you (and I don't mean a negative post attacking detectors and other posters), then you are, excuse me, part of your own problem. The topics, and the replies that keep them on the "leader board," are up to you. And me. And all of us who make up this forum. There are lots of posts on the Equinox because there are lots of forum members who are posting and replying about the Equinox. It's that simple. Nobody makes you read any post here you have no interest in. But surprisingly, even a post about the Equinox just might include some information that could be helpful to you in your detecting. Technique is technique, regardless of detector. Watching someone detect in their video, regardless of detector used, could give you an idea to incorporate into your detecting with your choice of detector.

I can't agree more that NASA Tom's posts and knowledgeable replies regarding technical aspects of detectors and detecting is a major benefit this forum offers above all others, but he is not the only resource we have for that. You certainly have to separate the wheat from the chaff in others' replies to your questions, but most legitimate requests for good information are met with at least some knowledgeable and helpful replies.

I expect some of the problem some are having with the posts about the Equinox is that some newer members of the forum have more to say on the subject than many of the older members. Helpful, instructive posts can be made by new members just as bad posts can be penned by old members. Even those posted by members we tend to "pass" on, sometimes offer a good nugget here and there. Not calling anyone here a fool, but a favorite saying of mine, attributed to Mark Twain but possibly from another source: A wise man can learn more from a fool, than a fool from a wise man.

Wayne
March 23, 2018 06:54PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ozzie -- Regarding that wish list. Don't look at
> it as a list of negatives that stop its performanc
> e. You can take anything and make suggestions on
> what might make it better. That's because nothing
> is perfect. The Japanese have a word for it...kai
> zen. It basically means continuous improvement.
>
> I made a few suggestions/comments on what I think
> could make it better. While at the same, my opinio
> n is that I've not found a better detector that ca
> n come close to it in the way that it is NOW for t
> he type hunting I do.

How can I look at it any other way Daniel? Minelab already knows about these comments/suggestions/wish-list on what makes a perfect or near perfect machine, . When suggestions are made it means something is lacking......To me, it leans to the negative about the overall machine.

I'm not putting the EQ down as I would like to own one myself.

I am a little gun shy though.....when I buy a new item seems like the next day there is an improvement...the f-75 scenario kinda pizzed me off..I have 2 and still don't have the best.
March 23, 2018 07:42PM
It was the same way when the Racer and Impact came out. Pretty soon it will cool off like they did and Guys will be selling them due to all kinds of reasons like Health, family, Car broke down, what have You.
March 23, 2018 08:07PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I've noticed that this forum has become one big
>billboard for Minelab Equinox.

Yep, and as soon as one of the other manufactures comes out with their new "Coin Blaster 3000" ......
we will argue, rip it apart, sing its praises, disparage its virtue, worship its performance, cuss at anyone who knocks it, test the living hell out of it and drink about it.

We will then rinse and repeat.

In between these times those same detectorist gladiators will bask in the glory, show off their victorious spoils with grand stories of triumph against the odds in the fields of honor..........

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
March 23, 2018 08:36PM
Grant, true that....you have a way with words, made me laugh.smileys with beer ha ha "rinse and repeat" ......
March 23, 2018 08:48PM
I guess whats really got my panties in a knot is that the new release I care about is still delayed. I was hoping to have a Gold Kruzer in my hand by now. Or at least hear a good release date I could look forward to. or read about someone else's experience or something. All that stuff you NOX chasers are looking and reading about but for the Gold Kruzer instead.

I know...sour grapes and all that.

HH
Mike
March 23, 2018 09:01PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I guess whats really got my panties in a knot is t
> hat the new release I care about is still delayed.
> I was hoping to have a Gold Kruzer in my hand by n
> ow. Or at least hear a good release date I could
> look forward to. or read about someone else's exp
> erience or something. All that stuff you NOX cha
> sers are looking and reading about but for the Gol
> d Kruzer instead.
>
> I know...sour grapes and all that.
>
> HH
> Mike

Understandable...... we are all waiting on something.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
March 23, 2018 09:01PM
Get a room, already!

Oh, wait, you're still standing at the altar.

Sorry. At least your wait won't be as long as others had for that (other) detector.

Wayne
March 24, 2018 03:07AM
I’d like to add that the vacuum seems to be the lack of new, and “ground breaking” units.
Fisher-nada
Garrett -AT Max nothing ground breaking here though
Whites- MX7??? Nope
Tesoro: Mojave.. nothing new here
Teknetics-nada
Nokta-Is doing better than most.. cranking out some fine detectors.

When the XP deus came out was it sheer madness?

This isn’t to say that previous generation units are no good... it’s just Minelab jumped out of a plane and everyone went wild..

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 24, 2018 03:41AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Yep, Mike, but did you read the wish list for the EQ? The unit can't be all that, if the owners need/want many other options. I'll wait a little longer to see what else comes up.

Posting a detector Wish List is like posting a wish list for what do you want to see in the next Corvette?

Do you seriously think everyone's going to say "We're all good, it's the perfect car, it couldn't possibly get any better !!!" ?
March 24, 2018 03:59AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I guess whats really got my panties in a knot is t
> hat the new release I care about is still delayed.
> I was hoping to have a Gold Kruzer in my hand by n
> ow. Or at least hear a good release date I could
> look forward to. or read about someone else's exp
> erience or something. All that stuff you NOX cha
> sers are looking and reading about but for the Gol
> d Kruzer instead.
>
> I know...sour grapes and all that.
>
> HH
> Mike

After waiting for six months for the EQ800, I feel your pain cool smiley [www.youtube.com]
March 24, 2018 11:18AM
I kind of chuckle guys...... as a water hunter on here i rarely see many posts..... mostly dirt digging. Welcome to my world. Finally a machine that gets all of us involved. Now for my daily complaint...... WHERES MY WATERPROOF HEADPHONES? Got to be the squeaky wheel lol. How many people dont say...... i wish when a new machine comes out? There is going to be a lot of attention i think just because ML still dont have the orders filled and those that have them..... well right now have bragging rights so to speak. Also there are those who like to pick apart a new machine by doing comparisons. Im sure once more people can get out hunting....... conversations will change... or there will be another machine out.
March 24, 2018 11:35AM
Yup I agree. The forum has turned into an Equinox billboard. Personally......detecting has taken a back burner in my life, but I tried to remain interested enough to visit here. Detector comparisons of the Equinox vs every detector ever made and a diary of my life with the Equinox with hourly updates is just not interesting to me at all. So I'm out of here. Nothing beats a new site. Not even the Equinox.
March 24, 2018 01:09PM
Certainly detector of month...will fade in time...ever think companies may have shills to sell more units....
Carefully chosen....
March 25, 2018 02:11AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> It was the same way when the Racer and Impact came
> out. Pretty soon it will cool off like they did an
> d Guys will be selling them due to all kinds of re
> asons like Health, family, Car broke down, what h
> ave You.

Harold,

You left out, " I purchased said detector without my wife's permission." >grinning smiley<

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Carefully chosen....
March 25, 2018 02:13AM
Oh, and yes, Almost forgot. I have to agree with Mike that being OVERWHELMED by all of the posts regarding the equinox is simply . . . . . . OVERWHELMING. smoking smiley Sorry.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
March 26, 2018 07:09AM
I do have to admit, the Equinox has become the 6.5 Creedmoor of the detecting forums. I use to enjoy going to gun forums but ever since that Creedmoor round got popular, that's all you find of the forums. Comparisons, tests, testimonials, all that kind of stuff. I no longer go to the gun forums because of that blasted Creedmoor and its followers. There was one forum I still go to, that started deleting posts about it. They set aside a sub forum just for the Creedmoor fanatics, and if anyone brought it up in any of the other forums, it was deleted and the poster warned. If they did it a second time, they were no longer members of the forum.
March 26, 2018 12:12PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I do have to admit, the Equinox has become the 6.5
> Creedmoor of the detecting forums. I use to enjoy
> going to gun forums but ever since that Creedmoor
> round got popular, that's all you find of the foru
> ms. Comparisons, tests, testimonials, all that ki
> nd of stuff. I no longer go to the gun forums bec
> ause of that blasted Creedmoor and its followers.
> There was one forum I still go to, that started de
> leting posts about it. They set aside a sub forum
> just for the Creedmoor fanatics, and if anyone bro
> ught it up in any of the other forums, it was dele
> ted and the poster warned. If they did it a second
> time, they were no longer members of the forum.

I'm old school, I still like certain analog machines. As far as rifle cartridges go, make mine the 3006, still the king since 1906.
March 26, 2018 12:53PM
"To everything, turn turn turn, there is a season turn turn turn"

I stopped posting all my Nox stuff for this very reason, saturation. I know people out there were sick of hearing about it before it's release. Truthfully, it's just another machine, somewhat better at things than others. I say ride it out. The weather SHOULD be getting better and you will be outside more.
March 26, 2018 01:54PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Certainly detector of month...will fade in time...
> ever think companies may have shills to sell more
> units....

Pretty sure got a couple on here.
March 26, 2018 01:57PM
Hombre -- I'm right there with ya. I favor the 30.06's little necked down brother, the .270. I've played with some of the magnum cartridges and of course, dabbled in the short action rounds, but I always find myself coming back home to the .270. I never understood this craze for the AR platform guns either. I have had a couple of them and sold or traded them off for other things of interest. They just ain't my cup of tea. Give me a good aluminum bedded bolt action rifle, and I'm good to go.

I'm in the same boat as Beyonder though on posting about the Nox. I really like mine and have been enjoying seeing the fruits of it in my pouch. I posted some finds with it over at another forum but it is one with a sub forum for just the Equinox.
March 26, 2018 04:34PM
I personally identify with 243 Win. If you can't get it done with it you are probably in a place starting with the letter A. So, back to the Equinox...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie