Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox from Cabelas and my opinion of the machine.

Posted by Shakydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox from Cabelas and my opinion of the machine.
March 24, 2018 11:02AM
I ordered a Equinox from Cabelas on February 20 and received my Equinox 800 on march 2. Most people seemed to give up on Cabelas after receiving the out of stock notification that I received shortly after placing my order. Because the detectors were being drop shipped from the manufacturer, I received my order as soon as Minelab had a new shipment in the U.S. If I had kept my order with Kellyco, I would still be waiting on my detector. Just my experience with Cabelas, Yours may be different. As far as my experience with the machine goes, I'll first tell you that my favorite previously owned detectors were the CZ7 through CZ70 series and the Nautilus DMC2b and 2ba. CZ's for beach and coins and Nautilus for relics and coins. So far the Equinox has been able to match or exceed the performance of the CZ's and Nautilus. The Equinox has better target information and iron discrimination than the CZ while matching it in depth of detection. It exceeds the Nautilus in its ability to handle mineralization and in giving more useful information about the target being detected. As far as depth of detection goes, the Nautilus may still have the edge in better ground. It really comes as a pleasant surprise to me just how much the Equinox reminds me of a souped up CZ. It really shouldn't if I understand correctly that Mr. Tom Dankowski had a hand in it's development. I'd highly recommend the Equinox for those who loved the versatility and performance of the Fisher CZ series of detectors but wished for lighter weight and more target information. The Equinox 600 seems like an absolute shoe in for Metal detector bargain of the year as far as performance/price is concerned. I don't believe that the Equinox made any detector obsolete, but I do believe the days of detectors that are permanently designed to run in one frequency are numbered. Being able to run in multiple frequencies at the same time or at least being able to change the frequency that a detector operates at is the clear top tier tech of our hobby. These are wonderful days to be a metal detector enthusiast. There is great new technology for those that want it and good solid performing used detectors at great prices. Just my two cents worth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 11:04AM by Shakydigger.
Re: Equinox from Cabelas and my opinion of the machine.
March 24, 2018 01:47PM
Nice report--on both your buying experience and comparison.

The ole Naughty use to find some deep cannon shells back in the day.
March 24, 2018 03:09PM
The one thing I disliked about the CZ was that the depth meter only worked during pinpoint. This was a huge time waster, and I had hoped for a new model CZ with a continuous real time depth meter. The the depth meter on the Equinox isn't super accurate; but, it sure beats the CZ for saving time.
March 24, 2018 04:15PM
well said ! congrats on your new machine.
March 24, 2018 04:22PM
Bayard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one thing I disliked about the CZ was that the
> depth meter only worked during pinpoint. This was
> a huge time waster, and I had hoped for a new mode
> l CZ with a continuous real time depth meter. The
> the depth meter on the Equinox isn't super accurat
> e; but, it sure beats the CZ for saving time.

Not to hijack the threat but I am curious what difference does it make what a target depth reads. If the target reads 1 or 8 inches deep wouldn't make me dig or not dig, if it sounds good I dig. Not arguing just curious.
March 24, 2018 04:31PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> Not to hijack the threat but I am curious what dif
> ference does it make what a target depth reads. If
> the target reads 1 or 8 inches deep wouldn't make
> me dig or not dig, if it sounds good I dig. Not ar
> guing just curious.

I hunt for old silver coins. They are usually six inches or more deep.
March 24, 2018 04:37PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> Bayard Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The one thing I disliked about the CZ was that t
> he
> > depth meter only worked during pinpoint. This w
> as
> > a huge time waster, and I had hoped for a new mo
> de
> > l CZ with a continuous real time depth meter. T
> he
> > the depth meter on the Equinox isn't super accur
> at
> > e; but, it sure beats the CZ for saving time.
>
> guing just curious.

Steve-------Some hunters (myself included at times) like to go for the deep coins and ignore the shallow ones in an attempt to find the older targets.
March 24, 2018 04:56PM
SkiWhiz,
What the other guys said sums it up pretty well.
As an example, IHPs come in the same VDI on the Nox as Zincs do. I don't have much patience for digging zincs so I skip the shallow 20/21 signals assuming that they are Zincs and just concentrate on the deeper 20/21 signals in hopes that it is a IHP. If I'm relic hunting, like you, I dig all non-ferrous signals.

Dean
March 24, 2018 07:20PM
Makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing it up for me.
March 24, 2018 07:27PM
I'll dig those shallow signals every time, in the past they have been shallow watch fobs and Indian head pennies , gold rings and have also dug up shallow walking liberty halves.

Do what you want but you are walking over treasure if you are passing up loud shallow signals. Stepping off soap box for now.....LOL
March 24, 2018 07:42PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:

>
> guing just curious.

Good question. And I see you got good answers so far. If the location-in-question is a relicky field site hunt, or old-town urban demolition, or beach storm erosion, etc... etc... Then you're right: makes no difference. But if the location is stratified turf: Then some guys prefer to pass the shallow stuff (as it's most likely going to be newer coins, and old coins tend to be deeper).

And actually: Even in locations where you intend to "dig all", despite TID and despite depth, it's still a lot of fun to have a machine that's instantly giving you both those factors. For some reason, it just adds to the fun of trying to 2nd-guess the object you're about to dig.
March 24, 2018 07:49PM
We all like to hear those modulated faint and tight signals, no brainer there.
March 24, 2018 08:06PM
Hombre Wrote:
> I'll dig those shallow signals every time, in the
> past they have been shallow watch fobs and Indian
> head pennies , gold rings and have also dug up sha
> llow walking liberty halves.
>
> Do what you want but you are walking over treasure
> if you are passing up loud shallow signals. Steppi
> ng off soap box for now.....LOL

Those of us who Hunt old coins by depth use our common sense..
Every site is different, as is locations within a site..
Out in the middle of a park that I know well, where old coins are say 6 or 7 inches minimum,
I’m not going to wast my time wrestling a zinc penny out of the grass roots..
It takes from precious swing time that could be used to get over more old coins..
In that same park, under a tree where there are roots, or on a hard packed path I will dig the zincs
knowing it could be an Indian ahead cent that did not settle over time..

I dig all quarter signals hoping for silver rings and most dime signals too, so I’m not going to pass on a shallow silver half..
I also dig all non ferrous signals on old sites that are past the aluminum zone of that particular site..

Some people love to dig clad.. My friend is one who gets excited by the amount he finds, which is a lot!
I could just care less.. It’s just a nuisance right up there with pull tabs...

Bryan
March 24, 2018 08:48PM
past the aluminum zone, Bryan?

I dig aluminum cans at 12 and 14 inches sometimes in farm field and pastures. Not often, thank goodness.

Wayne
My opinion of the
March 24, 2018 09:54PM
> Hombre Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'll dig those shallow signals every time, in the
> > past they have been shallow watch fobs and Indian
> > head pennies , gold rings and have also dug up shallow walking liberty halves.
> >
> > Do what you want but you are walking over treasure if you are passing up loud shallow signals. Stepping off soap box for now.....LOL

Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Those of us who Hunt old coins by depth use our co
> mmon sense..
> Every site is different, as is locations within a site..

There is a time to dig all conductive signals and a time to be selective. Many of those who hunt selectively, do so because it INCREASES the quality and quantity of keepers for the time spent detecting that particular site. Conversely, there are times when removing all conductive signals is a good choice and can provide unexpected surprises including items walked over by other detectorists for many years because the signal 'gave the appearance of' trash. Knowing the appropriate time to apply selectivity is part of becoming a highly skilled detectorist.

Each visit to a site provides a possible learning experience. Take advantage of them.

There is a lot to learn from other detectorists that frequent the various forums; others may have different ways of doing things than myself, but it doesn't make it wrong and they may very well have well thought out reasons for doing things the way they do.

As for the Equinox 800, I look forward to using one here shortly (hopefully shortly) and seeing what it has to offer. It looks to have the weather proof and light weight thing down pretty well. With a long list of features, it LOOKS like the 800 will fit in nicely with what I already have.

I am curious to see about the wobbling shaft / handgrip issue that is being reported by some. Hopefully easily resolved.

I enjoy reading the reports of those of you that take time to post them. It is appreciated.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: My opinion of the
March 24, 2018 10:11PM
I hunt old sites, I dig a lot of junk too. I don't want to pass up a good find, just today I dug a shallow Indian head about 2 inches deep. I could raise the coil about 8 inches before it would fade out. I do not hunt parks, only rural one room school houses or old churches, most of them torn down for decades. My shovel is my discriminator.
March 24, 2018 10:18PM
Since this is Equinox thread.
Some may have seen my recommendation for removing global settings away from user profile program settings on Nox 800 model.
Why?
One good reason is so I can run an intentional low Sens setting in my user profile program.
Hence if I get a signal in my hunt program, and toggle over to my (low Sens) user profile program and signal drops out= not a shallower target.

Would be good way to work those aluminum screw caps.
And shallower zincolns.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 10:21PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 24, 2018 10:19PM
No wobbling shaft or hand grip issues with mine Rich.. Hope your is the same..

As far as hunting by depth.. It’s not as easy with the Equinox as say the CTX because of poor modulation
within roughly the first 5 inches.. The Pinpoint function has good VCO so I have been using that to gauge depth..
The meter is more accurate if you center the target and figure that it’s calibrated to bigger coins then most Detectors..

It gets easier every time out..

Bryan
Re: My opinion of the
March 24, 2018 10:24PM
Hombre Wrote:
> I hunt old sites, I dig a lot of junk too. I don't
> want to pass up a good find, just today I dug a sh
> allow Indian head about 2 inches deep. I could rai
> se the coil about 8 inches before it would fade ou
> t. I do not hunt parks, only rural one room school
> houses or old churches, most of them torn down for
> decades. My shovel is my discriminator.

Yes, in those site conditions I would do the same Hombre..

My techniques are used in manicured city parks..
Massive modern trash and you just can’t tare the place up..

Bryan