Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

With a few days left, going to try it on the beach now

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
With a few days left, going to try it on the beach now
March 24, 2018 10:39PM
Hey gang: My auction closes tomorrow. And I have 3 days in which to ship. So I have this thing for 4 more days.

I am taking it to the beach to meet with a CTX 3030 user, in a few hours from now. He and I want to see how it does on micro-jewelry @ beach hunting. We have a dry sand section of beach we're going to take it to, that has, over the years, given up hundreds of silver coins and wheaties. And we've always only ever used machines like Explorers, CTX's, Sov's, Excal's, 6000 di pro, etc... to work it. No one's ever (well, at least not seriously) worked it with a pulse machine, because of the nails. So my buddy and I are wondering how much micro-jewelry might be there ? Eg.: tinsel thin chains, earing studs, and such. Since this is a high-end rich-touristy beach.

Any suggestions, within the next 3 hrs, before I hit the beach ??

He will be swinging his 3030 with an 11" coil
Re: With a few days left, going to try it on the beach now
March 24, 2018 10:48PM
Watch the lower ID hits ,,1s 2s and. 3s.
These will be the ones CTX seeing will likely be SOL.
March 24, 2018 11:10PM
Tom-----My suggestion is: You are selling this thing too quick before you can finalize your tests/hunts!----What's your big rush selling it already?---Man, I was really looking forward to your relic hunt/comparisons--or at the least to hear what your opinion of it was as a relic hunter.-----As I said earlier--I (we) really appreciate your efforts (on the park/turf) report----but----I'm greedy---I REALLY wanted to hear your relic end of it report also.--------Del
March 24, 2018 11:25PM
Im assuming you are using 40Kzh in dry sand. Otherwise its not a micro gold machine in multi freq..... its just not.
March 24, 2018 11:35PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom-----My suggestion is: You are selling this th
> ing too quick before you can finalize your tests/h
> unts!----What's your big rush selling it already?-
> --Man, I was really looking forward to your relic
> hunt/comparisons--or at the least to hear what you
> r opinion of it was as a relic hunter.-----As I sa
> id earlier--I (we) really appreciate your efforts
> (on the park/turf) report----but----I'm greedy---I
> REALLY wanted to hear your relic end of it report
> also.--------Del

Thanx Del. Your forum inputs have been helpful reading to me too.

To answer your question: I did a TON of "extrapolating" from the tests I did. To mentally play out in my mind, what I would expect from other hunting, based on the few tests. Is that 100% conclusive ? No. But ... just from what I did, I had a grasp of what I might expect elsewhere.

As for iron-see through ghost-townsy: I already have machines on my radar, that I've seen Brian use, which already admittedly are superior. So that was already a "given" . Ie.: nothing to "test". And my current arsenal for iron-see through is a Bandido. Which, yes, is meager in the depth dept (but excellent in the iron see-through dept).

You will be seeing tests. I hope I can talk Brian into pitting the nox against his own in-house arsenal (racer & kruzer). But, if not, we can extrapolate data from sites where we already have a "base-line" of what to expect. So he should be able to make a judgement as to whether it's move down, sideways, or up. We shall see.

So to answer your question: Since the results of my test, and seeing the results of a beach hunter who ... likewise ... said he could feel that he was not getting coins as deep on the beach, then .... that was taking the wind out of my sails. I have no doubt that this will see smaller daintier jewelry on the beach, than power-house FBS machines like Excal, Sov, and Explorers do. But as crazy as it sounds, that's not my main type of beach hunting. Or let me put it this way: If my choice were : Loose a tad of depth, yet get some micro-jewelry: I'd rather keep the depth. Because in my mind's eyes: There's more targets in my apron at the end of the day. It's the same argument for pulse versus disc. on the beach: Admittedly the pulse guys get some jewelry that the disc. guys don't get. Right ? But as you know, there's drawbacks for the pulse. Yes I realize the nox doesn't have the downside of the nails-issue like pulse does. But... for some reason ... the tad loss of depth was not appealing to me.

And yes: I see now that perhaps more depth could have been gained with lower recovery speed in the park. But ... all parties seem to agree, that when it comes to raw depth on high conductors @ beach and turf: That even Minelab themselves had ceded that.

And then there's the possibility that this could save the day in jet black minerals where the Explorers and Excal's wain. But as said before: That's just too rare and infrequently encountered here.
March 24, 2018 11:39PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Im assuming you are using 40Kzh in dry sand. Othe
> rwise its not a micro gold machine in multi freq..
> ... its just not.

Thanx Dewcon. Shall try that out.

But even in multi freq.: Isn't it just ...... from the onset .... a better machine at low conductors that power-house machines like the Explorer ?

I noticed, for example, the mid-conductor nut, on my tests, was bolder on the Nox than it had been on my Exp II.

Anyhow, I shall report the beach results by tomorrow.
March 24, 2018 11:40PM
Feel sorry for whomever wins your auction.
March 25, 2018 12:23AM
Are you going to update your fleabay auction to note well used now eye rolling smiley
March 25, 2018 12:32AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Are you going to update your fleabay auction to no
> te well used now eye rolling smiley

Uhh, gee, I would hardly call one more hour to be "Well used ". But you are right : I should technically change it now to be 2 hours cumulative.
March 25, 2018 02:05AM
dewcon 4414, I work in a jewelry store and tested small jewelry such as earrings and small pendants with the results being that park 2 in multi frequency hits best. Im not sure why, but at least in air tests it beats the beach modes which should be heavily weighted toward small gold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 09:53AM by Shakydigger.
March 25, 2018 02:26AM
I found the same thing to be true in park 2.
March 25, 2018 02:57AM
I definitely wouldn't be detecting in single frequency mode on wet salt sand.

Curious to see how you do and what settings you used.
March 25, 2018 06:24AM
I guess if you want be sure you can sell the Nox for what you paid, it makes sense to try it out briefly then sell it quickly, before supply catches up with demand; but, if you really want to fully evaluate the machine's capabilities and how to get the most out of it, one or two hours is not nearly enough time. I've put somewhat more cumulative hours into mine, but am still far from there.
March 25, 2018 10:28AM
Beach mode is designed for SALT not extremely small gold. Shakeydigger.... i suggest you go back and test Field 2 on some of that jewelry..... or better yet take it to a beach with some salt in the sand. Beach is LOW freq weighted. BUT...... it does seem to do better than the other ML machines on jewelry. Thanks to Tom's advice it appears Field 2 works best in dry sand..... and i mean dry, if its damp sand she chatters....... then beach 1. In the water..... beach 1 is sensitive to concentrations of black sand, minerals, and tiny tiny flakes of concentrated aluminum.... you can tell this moving when hunting a beach N to S. You hear the chatter on the up swing. The chatter can be calmed some with reduced sensitivity at around 18. Beach 2 runs smooth for the most part ..... listen carefully and you can still hear that same chatter in the back ground beach 1 was doing. I think we knew going in this machine was going to have more noise to it the closer it got to small gold in salt water. Nature of the beast. Like a PI, this machine isnt going to be for everyone who beach hunts. Believe it or not there are a lot of different styles of beach hunters. Dry sand, wet sand, in the water, all over, some just looking for gold, some wants recent drops and covers a lot of water faster, others ... if it falls thru the scoop keep moving... and some take an area and spend their whole time in it.

Tom..... to answer your question i believe it is. I believe what i did from the start..... its going to get some of the smaller gold. I still dont have waterproof phones but have some coming. I hunt mostly water...... so salt can be a big factor to depth. The question to me is how much difference will IN the water vs air testing change between the machines? If both machines stay constant...... its going to be well worth the chatter IMO. Its not going to be a quick learn.... if you want to get its full potential. Id like to thank Tom D for all his advice he really knows this machine and has been a huge help. Tom CA...... good hunting out there look forward to your finds or opinions.
March 25, 2018 01:34PM
The issue is most micro jewelry comes in at or near where salt comes in at

a few summers ago, I ran a tesoro sand shark and was shocked on all the small jewelry I was finding

Compared to my excal.