Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Amazing Nox results from beach last night. Coming from a stubborn skeptic no less !

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Amazing Nox results from beach last night. Coming from a stubborn skeptic no less !
March 25, 2018 06:02PM
I got a call from a local detecting buddy yesterday. He'd seen that I had the Nox up for sale. He swings a CTX 3030. And is strictly a beach hunter. He wanted to see how his 3030 compares to the Nox. Knowing I had one day left before the close-of-auction, I agreed to meet up with him for some dry-sand duel. He used his 11" coil for this test, so it would be commensurate with the 11" of the Nox. We did not do wet sand. Because there's no erosion going on at present. And I did not feel like wandering the wet for random recent drops. Instead, my buddy and I both have a location at a certain beach, where hard-pack is only about 6 inches to 1.5 ft. down in some spots. And at a certain area, I've pulled over 100 silver coins, and countless wheaties over the years . It's been pounded very hard. But, perpetual foot traffic, tends to re-arrange the "low spots" over time. So every 6 months or so, you can go back to the same zones, and find other targets that "come into view".

All the old coins are only 1940s/50s losses , thus nothing spectacular. At some cypress trees set way back in the dunes, you can sometimes get up-to 1920s type losses. Since ground is firmer and less prone to ability to sink in tangled roots. But, naturally, those "trees" areas were pounded to heck long ago.

Scores of tabs, of course. Even those very old early 1960s square tabs. On wet sand erosion hunting: All the light stuff (foil and tabs) is typically washed out by the surf & tides. But on the dry sand: It will have teensy bits of foil, etc... Hence this would be a spot to try for micro-jewelry ability PLUS depth, all in the same duel.

We flagged 4 deep warbles with our Exp. II and 3030. So deep that you can't accurately call high vs. low conductor. But you can tell something conductive is there. I tried the Nox in both beach 1 and beach 2, and found #1 to be a bit deeper. So I stuck with beach 1 for the rest of the testing. And lowered the recovery speed to 3 (down from the preset of 6). On the sens: I could go up to 22 or 23-ish, before hearing any chatter. This beach is white sand (versus cinnamon color), so there is little to no mineralization here. Thus was able to push up the sens higher than other environments. Did a ground balance, noise-cancel, and off to the races. All other settings were at the beach 1 presets.

I honestly didn't expect to hear the deep warbles we'd flagged. Since I was still biased from my park turf testing a few days earlier. But I was pleasantly surprised that we did indeed get signals off of each of them. Hmmmm. But ... being the killjoy skeptic that I am: I immediately tried hither and yonder in the same areas. To make sure that I'm not just hearing random flutter and falses, iron, etc.... And I did indeed get beeps elsewhere (that the Exp. and 3030 hadn't heard, or maybe we'd simply been ignoring d/t too flitty and small). Stopping to check those, they were turning out to be insanely small tiny bits of aluminum. No bigger than grains of rice or pencil lead tips. Of course, they were tell-tale because of the tone and low TID #s. This was proving to be interesting. Hmmm.

Digging up the 4 flagged targets: 1 was a thimble at a good 10". The others were very deep tabs and beaver tails . Hmmm, so far so good.

At this point, I put my Exp. II in the truck and stuck with the Nox vs the 3030 for the rest of the testing. We moved to another dry zone of the beach that, like the first zone: Hardpack with within reach (6" to 1.5 ft. deep). Yet in this area, there's more pulltabs and a poorer ratio of coins for some reason. However, I knew that I'd have more back-to-back targets to test on . Even if only junk and tabs, it would serve as a good test zone.

Every single thing my 3030 buddy could point to, I could effortlessly hear, with room to spare ! Not only that, I noticed I was getting super accurate TID's. Within 15 minutes, I was accurately calling foil, tab, bottle cap, coin, etc... Some from depths that would have even been difficult for my Exp. II. My friend and I were totally amazed . Finally got a 1961 green memorial super deep (been there for decades and decades). The Nox got it, with the hint of "high conductor" before I'd even started to dig. Hmmm. Then got a 1947 silver Roosie. But that had only been about 6" deep, so it was a gimmee. However, ... it was a dead-giveaway "coin" the moment I swept over it. So much so, that I began to wonder if I shouldn't simply have been using this mode when doing turf ?? !! ?? And then a 1950s wheat at ~ 10" (had to kick the sand aside to get the TID more pronounced)

One of the teensy foil signals I investigated turned out to be the crown of a ring . Where the Nox had been hearing nothing but the prongs. And it held a very small stone, no bigger than a pencil lead tip. It turned out to be junk (not precious metal, so I'm assuming a junk stone). Kind of like a decorative brad that had been attached to something. A Note at this point: Some machines, that are good at micro-jewelry (pulse machines, 2 filter machines of various sorts, etc...) have a drawback that .... likewise, you have little ability to tell targets apart. But with the nox: The tones & TID #s were instantly tell-tale. So a person is not condemned to dig all, if he didn't want to.

After a very short while, with my curiosity satisfied on micro-jewelry ability, I started ignoring the super low TID's (1, 2, 3, etc...). Just stuck to larger foil, tabs, and up, to continue the testing on depth. At this point, it was doing everything the Exp. could do on stuff like tabs. And almost even more pleasantly and tell-tale. I got the feeling I could really trust the TID, etc.... For some very deep targets, I would have to kick the sand aside to make the TID decide. But so-too is it the same with very deep Exp. II targets here. So I was very impressed.

As a side-note at this point: While I am not into micro-jewelry hunting @ dry sand, yet ... if these test results could be replicated on the wet sand, then you'd have a scenario of the following: You'd have normally expected results on coins, mid-sized rings, etc... Ie.: the results you'd expect from Exp. II, Excal, 3030, etc... HOWEVER: Unlike the BBS/FBS machines: This Nox would afford you a simultaneous chance at dainty things like chains, earing studs, etc... Yes the BBS/FBS can sometimes get grain of rice sized stuff. But it's not nearly as "pronounced" (screams at you) , like I was hearing on this Nox. Yet on the other hand, retaining normal coin and mid-conductor ability.

I regret that I will not be able to see if I can replicate these astounding results on the wet sand. Because within 48 hrs. this will be shipped. And there's no wet-sand action going on here right now (unless I wanted to wander the inter-tidal zone for random recent fluke drops). Hopefully Cal Cobra will be able to join for some beach action, if we get some erosion. Because I have sometimes even eyeballed things like necklaces, or a wiry bangle earing hoop, that ... when you swing over them, you don't even get a peep. Perhaps with the Nox, if it can repeat this dry sand performance while on the wet: Then a person could have the "best of both worlds". I hope to hear from some wet sand hunters, to see if, indeed, they're getting teensy stuff on the wet too. Because perhaps the settings I had can not be replicated in wet-salt & minerals ?

Next I wandered over to the bases of some cypress trees. That have long since been exploited for their targets. Got what appeared to be a high conductor. Dug down .... a green teens wheatie at a good 8 or 9" ! Then a foot away from that, ANOTHER suspected high conductor. And AGAIN another teens or 20's wheatie! Very impressive. Once that wheatie was out of the hole, I put my coil down in the hole to see if anything else was there. And got ANOTHER high conductor peep trying to come in. However, it was a tangled bunch or roots to contend with. So I retrieved my Exp. II to try on this one (ie.: a reverse flag test). And believe it or not, I was having a hard time hearing anything. Almost to the point that I thought the Nox had been fooled. But after some coaxing, I found that the target was slightly off to the side. Once I caved in that side of the hole, and centered a bit better, THEN the Exp. could get it. Very impressive. And using the sunray probe, was able to pinpoint another teens/20s wheatie from down between some roots. These 3 wheaties had been, as said, at something on the order of 8 or 9". Not sure whether the proper TID's could have come from deeper ones or not. But ... for that matter, so too does the Exp. II become warbles at that point too, requiring persuasion to get a better sense of high vs low.

And now I'm wondering if I should have lowered my recovery speed to 3, when doing my park turf tests. That suggestion, on that thread, didn't come till later in the thread, when I was already done. But, of course, there's a downside, as we all know, to lowering the recovery speed: As we all know, that comes at a cost of less target separation. That would require a whole volley of additional flag target turf tests, that I hope Cal Cobra will agree to in the upcoming months.

Once back at my house: I toyed with the park 2 setting I'd been using a few days ago. And yes indeed: Lowering the recovery speed adds another inch or so. And also adds more pleasant "fluty" to the deeper air test targets. Hmmmm.

And then air-testing in beach 1 some more at my house: I cut a piece of aluminum can out, about the size of a domino. And folded it up, so that it's the size of a dime. The TID was 14 -ish. Eg. nickel -ish. And then tested that low conductor object, against a USA dime. I was pleasantly surprised that the aluminum object is detected a tab deeper (a bit bolder sound) than a USA dime , when passed @ the same deeper depth range. Meaning: That it's favoring these low conductors . Contrast to the same exact air test on the Exp. II, using the same exact targets: The Exp II seems to favor the dime at the fringe equivalent depths. Important note: Both objects were the size of dime. Only the TID differed. So the Nox seems to be favoring the low conductors a teensy bit, when in beach 1 mode (don't have to go to 40 khz to favor lows, eh ?).

So what this means in real world applications is: Although the favoring is only *slight*, yet: If all things are equal, and you have a day where mother nature has made all the wet sand targets to be @, let's say ... 7 to 10" strata. Then at the end of the day, this machine would have a higher ratio of lows (and I presume mids?) conductors. The same phenomenon was seen with beach pulse machines years go: Where, for example, beach pulse machines detect a nickel (the low conductor) deeper than a dime. Whereas discriminators would tend to detect the dime deeper than the nickel. EVEN THOUGH THE NICKEL IS THE PHYSICALLY LARGER TARGET. So at the end of the day, when it came to pulse vs discriminators: We would notice that the pulse guy would generally have a higher ratio of nickels in his coin count. It was only a very slight ratio increase. And, of course, assumed that you were talking about each machine having dug lots of fringe depth targets. Yet ... nonetheless, more nickels on the pulse. Since it could get nickels, at, say a foot. Whereas the discriminator could only get nickels to ... say ... 10" . Thus perhaps so too would the same hold true for the Nox vs BBS/FBS on the beach.

Thus this Nox, if it can replicate last night's trick in the wet sand, *should* increase beach hunters jewelry take over that of a BBS/FBS. WHILE NOT LOOSING regular coin ability, and WHILE NOT LOOSING the ability to knock out iron (which pulse can't do).

This was very impressive. I hope Cal Cobra allows he and I to do some wet sand tests to further confirm this. Sometimes we get freak southern hemi swells in spring and summer that might impact Santa Cruz beach.

No chance to check this out for ghost-townsy iron-ability. Cal Cobra and I will eventually get that done.

Thanx guys !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 06:11PM by Tom_in_CA.
Wow a real eye opener with a very detailed report. Thanks for your efforts and tame prose.
There's quite a bit of depth to be gained by simply lowering Target Recovery Response speeds.

So how low would the recovery speed need to be set on the Equinox 800 to equal the normal speed of the Explorer, etrac or CTX for detecting deep coin targets? I know you will lose separation but, is there a recovery speed that is comparable for cleaner sites?
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's quite a bit of depth to be gained by simpl
> y lowering Target Recovery Response speeds.
>
>
> So how low would the recovery speed need to be set
> on the Equinox 800 to equal the normal speed of th
> e Explorer, etrac or CTX for detecting deep coin t
> argets? I know you will lose separation but, is th
> ere a recovery speed that is comparable for cleane
> r sites?

That is a good question. The explorer only has 2 speeds. But the nox has multiple speeds to choose from. I run my explorer, all-the-time, on "fast". But I do not know what that equates to on the Nox.

Also to add to the confusion: I've never seen much difference on depth, with the explorer, between the 2 speeds of fast VS slow. There might be a subconscious ability that *seems* like your deeper when choosing slow. But I've always been of the opinion that this is simply because you are hearing the target for a micro-second longer. Thus more prone to hear it, and not miss it . Thus the claim that there's more depth. But when I air test the Exp, it seems each are equally as deep. But that you simply have to pay more attention (train your ears) when using the "fast". Thus I choose fast recovery, for the obvious added benefit of less masking.

But this is different on the Nox: There is indeed a measurable difference when going down from 6, to 3. That is not simply a "train your ears " trick.
Great report, Tom. Sounds like you had fun!

Dean
Thanks Tom. Just got my Equinox 800 in and as soon as the weather permits I plan to start hunting some of my old sites. I am a coin hunter and have used the Explorer, Explorer 2, Explorer se, Etrac and CTX.
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a more positive experience with the Nox. I haven't used it on the beach, yet; but have had enough luck in other places (esp. trashy sites) that I think it will compete successfully against the other recent arrivals to the mid-prided market, particularly so if it is joined by some reasonably-priced accessory coils.
Wow Tom, quite a good post on the Nox, can't wait to see some video from you. Thanks for sharing this.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
Nice report.
Sounds like to me you sold Nox too FAST.
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's quite a bit of depth to be gained by sim
> pl
> > y lowering Target Recovery Response speeds.
> >
> >
> > So how low would the recovery speed need to be s
> et
> > on the Equinox 800 to equal the normal speed of
> th
> > e Explorer, etrac or CTX for detecting deep coin
> t
> > argets? I know you will lose separation but, is
> th
> > ere a recovery speed that is comparable for clea
> ne
> > r sites?
>
> That is a good question. The explorer only has 2
> speeds. But the nox has multiple speeds to choose
> from. I run my explorer, all-the-time, on "fast".
> But I do not know what that equates to on the Nox.
>
> Also to add to the confusion: I've never seen muc
> h difference on depth, with the explorer, between
> the 2 speeds of fast VS slow. There might be a su
> bconscious ability that *seems* like your deeper w
> hen choosing slow. But I've always been of the op
> inion that this is simply because you are hearing
> the target for a micro-second longer. Thus more p
> rone to hear it, and not miss it . Thus the claim
> that there's more depth. But when I air test the
> Exp, it seems each are equally as deep. But that
> you simply have to pay more attention (train your
> ears) when using the "fast". Thus I choose fast r
> ecovery, for the obvious added benefit of less mas
> king.
>
> But this is different on the Nox: There is indeed
> a measurable difference when going down from 6, to
> 3. That is not simply a "train your ears " trick.

This pic here.

Alternating dime, nickel.
What you see distance wise is as close as they can be and Etrac with fast recover on deep off can do separation (tone wise)
If I select recovery fast off, Etrac fails test above.
Equinox 800 park 2 multi freqspasses like Etrac with fast recovery on (tone wise ) with a speed setting of 2.
But since this is a test involving higher and lower conductors,, I can even improve Nox separation with same and even slightly faster sweep speed by selecting 5khz single freq.
And even lower speed setting to 1 and get a pass.

And realizing explorer may be slower than Etrad.

Just one test.
Might not reflect exactly how they really stickup sweet wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 12:28AM by tnsharpshooter.
I’m not surprised at Toms results in any way..
It could be that Equinox performance might be soil dependent but it is my opinion that the Equinox 800 is
superior to FBS for old coin hunting.. I don’t believe the CTX or E-Trac have a depth advantage on deep silver in my ground..
I am way beyond wondering if the Equinox is deep.. I am now moving on to more advanced techniques with the settings to improve
even more on hunting in extreme trash.. The Equinox will find deep silver even on the higher Recovery speed settings..
I hit a measured 8” Barber Dime next to iron today on Recovery 7..
The number of coins found close to iron is now well beyond accident.. It is now the norm..
Hunting with a FBS Detector might seem more pleasant when strolling through the park, but with that smooth ride comes
the price of missed coins..

My E-Trac will be for sale within the next week or so.. I was going to keep it for backup but I just don’t think I can go back to it..
Speed is addicting.. Probably use the funds to pick up a second Equinox as a backup and to carry a different size coil..

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 06:30AM by Cabin Fever.
One thing I’m not sure of is if the average detectorist will recognize the power and unmasking abilities of the Equinox..
The FBS hunters who don’t cruise the parks in a tight “Trashy Park Pattern “ in Auto waiting for the “Fluty Silver Tone”
and dig the iffy one ways will be the hunters who recognize the abilities of the Equinox..
For some the CTX might be the better fit..

Bryan
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> I’m not surprised at Toms results in any way..
> It could be that Equinox performance might be soil
> dependent but it is my opinion that the Equinox 80
> 0 is
> superior to FBS for old coin hunting.. I don’t be
> lieve the CTX or E-Trac have a depth advantage on
> deep silver in my ground..
> I am way beyond wondering if the Equinox is deep..
> I am now moving on to more advanced techniques wit
> h the settings to improve
> even more on hunting in extreme trash.. The Equino
> x will find deep silver even on the higher Recover
> y speed settings..
> I hit a measured 8” Barber Dime next to iron today
> on Recovery 7..
> The number of coins found close to iron is now wel
> l beyond accident.. It is now the norm..
> Hunting with a FBS Detector might seem more pleasa
> nt when strolling through the park, but with that
> smooth ride comes
> the price of missed coins..
>
> My E-Trac will be for sale within the next week or
> so.. I was going to keep it for backup but I just
> don’t think I can go back to it..
> Speed is addicting.. Probably use the funds to pi
> ck up a second Equinox as a backup and to carry a
> different size coil..
>
> Bryan

Bryan, good posts. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to pair up with a proficient equinox user, in a junky worked out old urban park. To test your theories. Because I'm the first to admit that the Exp. II is not going to have knife-blade precision at separation and/or see-through. Yet they have routinely kicked b*tt against all other machines. When it comes to the end-of-the-day results at pulling deep silver from the parks (at least in CA circles).

If you can agree that the FBS has the slight edge on high conductors in deep turf, then you must be relying on the other admitted factors of the Nox. Things like coins on edge, or coins next-to or under junk, and so forth. Eh ? Such that, by the end of the day average, you feel the Equinox is going to have an edge on the final silver count. Right ? Assuming of course: Two equally proficient users.

I would Love love love to match up in a park , and test this notion. If anyone in CA thinks they're proficient enough to gets these explorer-spanking-skills to the test, let me know what city you're in. And we'll meet up in your part of CA. I have parks, scattered about the state, that I can reliably count of to .... with more work.... pork out a few remaining silvers, wheaties, etc....

I would try it with Cal Cobra, but ... I can already sense the feedback that would be forthcoming: "I'm not experienced enough. It's not a fair test since you've had xx years on the Exp.". Which means it remains only at the "claims" stage (which is fine).

BTW: With my beach hunt experience, which was only 2 hrs, it clicked so fast that I could immediately have confidence. Same for my introduction to the Explorer: I didn't need "6 months" to get to where I could compete. It took me only a couple of days. When the "lights went on", I was immediately matching target per target with my mentor .
Over the weekend, I got out for a quick hunt. I found a few targets, but what stands out is the two wheats I found. I KNOW for a fact I went over those(particular) spots with every detector I have/had and did not get verifiable repeatable signals. But using the Nox, in park 2, they were pretty clear(I got a video I will post soon).

Now having said that, I will say this:

It isn't magic going on here. It is a few factors in order of importance:

Better response to targets due to the use of multi-frequency.

Ground mineral neutralization.

Recovery speed providing unmasking.

With this combination, the ground mineralization is being rendered somewhat impotent at obstructing potential targets. IF anyone of these were not present, the Nox wouldn't be as effective as it is.
I am pretty excited to hit a few spots with the Nox to try to recover some deepies. if only the weather would let up.
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Over the weekend, I got out for a quick hunt. I fo
> und a few targets, but what stands out is the two
> wheats I found. I KNOW for a fact I went over thos
> e(particular) spots with every detector I have/had
> and did not get verifiable repeatable signals. But
> using the Nox, in park 2, they were pretty clear(I
> got a video I will post soon).
>
> Now having said that, I will say this:
>
> It isn't magic going on here. It is a few factors
> in order of importance:
>
> Better response to targets due to the use of mu
> lti-frequency.

>
> Ground mineral neutralization.
>
> Recovery speed providing unmasking.
>
> With this combination, the ground mineralization i
> s being rendered somewhat impotent at obstructing
> potential targets. IF anyone of these were not pre
> sent, the Nox wouldn't be as effective as it is.
> I am pretty excited to hit a few spots with the No
> x to try to recover some deepies. if only the weat
> her would let up.

Magic?
That would be saying Nox is inventing or making coins.
Not the case.
And I have not seen anyone saying magic is happening using Nox.
Another conspiracy theory??

It can find coins though in crippled situations.
A lot of other detectors struggle or won't locate.

And this is the goal of detecting right?
Locate things hopefully worthier things.

Now the word magic has been used as a figure of speech (by one I know of) to describe multi frequency. But a figure of speech in not the same as saying there's magic with Nox inventing coins.
And one could see why this figure of speech was indeed used. If we link to how Nix locates coins to maybe a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 03:25PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Amazing Nox results from beach last night. Coming from a stubborn skeptic no less !
March 26, 2018 03:31PM
Good read and tests, but I don't understand why you didn't do any wet salt water sand testing? confused smiley

I understand there's no erosion events for the easy fast action targets, but any detector can hunt dry sand without issue (some even can do micro jewelry) BUT the magic happens when you take said any detector to the wet salt sand and detect, and almost all single frequency machines fail.

I say you should repeat said tests in wet salt water sand grinning smiley
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Good read and tests, but I don't understand why yo
> u didn't do any wet salt water sand testing? confused smiley
>
> I understand there's no erosion events for the eas
> y fast action targets, but

Cobra_CA : Not only because of the aforementioned reasons, but also that it was high tide time of day.

Of course .... even at high tide, there's always still SOME wet sand to step into (even if dodging around the ebbing tides). But even if I had been able to find random recent drops: The mere fact of "random" means they're likely to be scattered. And one thing I've learned in my many years of testing/pitting machines is that one thing that REALLY HELPS A LOT, is to have fast action back to back targets to try. Because if there's long -lulls in between, your mind has less of a chance to "form a pattern". It becomes random .

For example: This is true when trying to teach someone how to use the explorer for very deep silver coins in worked out parks. If the 4-star fluty deep whisper signals are few and far between, then it becomes all-the-more harder to get that recipe dialed in by the trainee. Contrast to if he's just done 5 back to back deep old coins, along with 5 back to back shallow clad, then the lights go on much faster.

Long lulls between targets is fine for when you already know what it is you're looking to hear. But if you don't already know what you're looking to hear, then long lulls is hardly a good training/testing ground.

Also: While it's true that a variety of machines could do micro-jewelry, or could have replicated these dry sand results (a very easy soil to cut through), yet: The fact that I was enjoying more than my own Explorer in the same location, speaks volumes. Ie.: It afforded me more options than my current arsenal. Which is something I couldn't say with my results in the turf , for the limited testing I'd done by then.
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> -----
> > Over the weekend, I got out for a quick hunt. I
> fo
> > und a few targets, but what stands out is the tw
> o
> > wheats I found. I KNOW for a fact I went over th
> os
> > e(particular) spots with every detector I have/h
> ad
> > and did not get verifiable repeatable signals. B
> ut
> > using the Nox, in park 2, they were pretty clear
> (I
> > got a video I will post soon).
> >
> > Now having said that, I will say this:
> >
> > It isn't magic going on here. It is a few factor
> s
> > in order of importance:
> >
> > Better response to targets due to the use of
> mu
> > lti-frequency.

> >
> > Ground mineral neutralization.
> >
> > Recovery speed providing unmasking.
> >
> > With this combination, the ground mineralization
> i
> > s being rendered somewhat impotent at obstructin
> g
> > potential targets. IF anyone of these were not p
> re
> > sent, the Nox wouldn't be as effective as it is.
> > I am pretty excited to hit a few spots with the
> No
> > x to try to recover some deepies. if only the we
> at
> > her would let up.
>
>
> Magic?
> That would be saying Nox is inventing or making co
> ins.
> Not the case.
> And I have not seen anyone saying magic is happeni
> ng using Nox.
> Another conspiracy theory??
>
> It can find coins though in crippled situations.
> A lot of other detectors struggle or won't locate.
>
> And this is the goal of detecting right?
> Locate things hopefully worthier things.
>
> Now the word magic has been used as a figure of sp
> eech (by one I know of) to describe multi frequenc
> y. But a figure of speech in not the same as sayi
> ng there's magic with Nox inventing coins.
> And one could see why this figure of speech was in
> deed used. If we link to how Nix locates coins to
> maybe a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

(Not upset nor have any hostile feelings.)

There you go, trying to put words in my mouth. I didn't say it was magic, nor did I say anyone said it was. However, the way some people talk it can be inferred as such. As for this being a conspiracy theory, I know you have resentment toward that thread I posted. I respect your right to disagree, however I stand by what I stated in it.

I don't really understand this unusual preoccupation you have for defending manufacturers with an almost fervent and fanatical type of attitude. Unfortunately for some, when it comes to ANY manufacturers claims, I call the shots as I see them without trying to mis-communicate facts(not saying anyone specifically does this).

As for the Nox capabilities, if you feel I am downplaying them, you are incorrect. I did mention the finds I got over the weekend that ALL other machines missed(and they did too). The capabilities of the Nox are very good and I recommend this machine especially for quick cherry picking, however, (as of yet) I don't see it as the end all of the detecting world.
I don't defend manufacturers. Telling the truth is not defending- be it good or bad what is said.
I do try and point to truths of some equipment they make though.

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

The topic of magic was brought into equation here by guess who?

I just don't favor post that seem to set up arguments inside of.
Like you are debating yourself really.

Maybe I am a fanatic.

Or maybe I just have a different perspectives and or style of how I view things.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 04:40PM by tnsharpshooter.
Hey guys, chill out. You are both bringing great inputs to the forum tech comparisons. Sometimes our choices of words ("magic wand", etc...) are just devil's advocate playing around to elicit conversation. It's all good and no harms meant. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Re: Amazing Nox results from beach last night. Coming from a stubborn skeptic no less !
March 26, 2018 04:51PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > Good read and tests, but I don't understand why
> yo
> > u didn't do any wet salt water sand testing? confused smiley
> >
> > I understand there's no erosion events for the e
> as
> > y fast action targets, but
>
> Cobra_CA : Not only because of the aforementioned
> reasons, but also that it was high tide time of da
> y.
>
> Of course .... even at high tide, there's always s
> till SOME wet sand to step into (even if dodging a
> round the ebbing tides). But even if I had been
> able to find random recent drops: The mere fact o
> f "random" means they're likely to be scattered.
> And one thing I've learned in my many years of tes
> ting/pitting machines is that one thing that REALL
> Y HELPS A LOT, is to have fast action back to back
> targets to try. Because if there's long -lulls in
> between, your mind has less of a chance to "form a
> pattern". It becomes random .
>
> For example: This is true when trying to teach so
> meone how to use the explorer for very deep silver
> coins in worked out parks. If the 4-star fluty de
> ep whisper signals are few and far between, then i
> t becomes all-the-more harder to get that recipe d
> ialed in by the trainee. Contrast to if he's jus
> t done 5 back to back deep old coins, along with 5
> back to back shallow clad, then the lights go on m
> uch faster.
>
> Long lulls between targets is fine for when you
> already know
what it is you're looking to hear
> . But if you don't already know what you're look
> ing to hear, then long lulls is hardly a good trai
> ning/testing ground.
>
> Also: While it's true that a variety of machines
> could do micro-jewelry, or could have replicated t
> hese dry sand results (a very easy soil to cut thr
> ough), yet: The fact that I was enjoying more th
> an my own Explorer in the same location, speaks vo
> lumes. Ie.: It afforded me more options than my c
> urrent arsenal. Which is something I couldn't say
> with my results in the turf , for the limited test
> ing I'd done by then.

Understood. Next time (if?) there's an erosion event on the weekend, let's sync up and we can do the wet salt water sand test. I've already read several very positive reports in that environment using the EQ800, so it should be a good shoot out hot smiley
It's funny, there was a guy who thought I was using two different names on a different forum to stir things up. Truth was, it was just two different people with the same opinion. He apologized which I accepted and appreciated.

My use of the term "magic" was in no way meant to entice, it was just the way I felt people were describing the abilities of the Nox.

Also on video and worth noting, I dug a .22 short shell about 9 inches. It gave a good response for a tiny target.
Tom I have to be careful on the subject of which technology has the edge on High Conductors because
A: I’m not smart enough.
B: I haven’t done side by side testing in the wild..
I had plans to but after my third hunt I just didn’t feel the need to compare anymore..

I already knew what a CTX and E-Trac, with stock 11” coil could do as far as depth in my ground..
I regularly picked 7-8” silvers with them both, but that was about the limit with that coil..
I had hit a small number of 9” coins with the stock coil but your down in the faint, thunk, edge of detection range..
Very iffy signals at those depths.. Bigger coils enhanced those signals and produced a rare 10” coin now and then..

The 8, 9 inch coins and the one 10” inch coin I have pulled with the Equinox and it’s Stock 11” Coil are not iffy signals..
They don’t feel to be at the edge of detection which would be the case for FBS in in my ground
Like you I have a very good feel of what my Detectors can do..
It’s not all in the depth either.. There is some weird unmasking going on with the Equinox..

My friend is very proficient with the V3i and it keeps up pretty well with FBS except on the deepest targets..
We do quite a bit of cross checking.
Yesterday I had him check a coin signal next to iron that he literally could not get a peep out of.. Nothing..
The signal was plain as day to the Equinox..
It was a memorial cent at only 5” but close to iron..

The Equinox is not magic or perfect, and your not going to walk in to an old hunted out park and come out with handfuls of old coins..
Most of the easy stuff has been taken but there are coins hiding in there that the Equinox will sniff out..
They will be either real deep.. Next to iron, or both..

Bryan
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Tom I have to be careful on the subject of which t
> echnology has the edge on High Conductors because
> A: I’m not smart enough.
> B: I haven’t done side by side testing in the wild
> ..
> I had plans to but after my third hunt I just didn
> ’t feel the need to compare anymore..
>
> I already knew what a CTX and E-Trac, with stock 1
> 1” coil could do as far as depth in my ground..
> I regularly picked 7-8” silvers with them both, bu
> t that was about the limit with that coil..
> I had hit a small number of 9” coins with the stoc
> k coil but your down in the faint, thunk, edge of
> detection range..
> Very iffy signals at those depths.. Bigger coils e
> nhanced those signals and produced a rare 10” coin
> now and then..
>
> The 8, 9 inch coins and the one 10” inch coin I ha
> ve pulled with the Equinox and it’s Stock 11” Coil
> are not iffy signals..
> They don’t feel to be at the edge of detection whi
> ch would be the case for FBS in in my ground
> Like you I have a very good feel of what my Detect
> ors can do..
> It’s not all in the depth either.. There is some w
> eird unmasking going on with the Equinox..
>
> My friend is very proficient with the V3i and it k
> eeps up pretty well with FBS except on the deepest
> targets..
> We do quite a bit of cross checking.
> Yesterday I had him check a coin signal next to ir
> on that he literally could not get a peep out of..
> Nothing..
> The signal was plain as day to the Equinox..
> It was a memorial cent at only 5” but close to iro
> n..
>
> The Equinox is not magic or perfect, and your not
> going to walk in to an old hunted out park and com
> e out with handfuls of old coins..
> Most of the easy stuff has been taken but there ar
> e coins hiding in there that the Equinox will snif
> f out..
> They will be either real deep.. Next to iron, or b
> oth..
>
> Bryan

LOL Too funny! You can't blame that one on me!
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> It's funny, there was a guy who thought I was usin
> g two different names on a different forum to stir
> things up. Truth was, it was just two different pe
> ople with the same opinion. He apologized which I
> accepted and appreciated.
>
> My use of the term "magic" was in no way meant to
> entice, it was just the way I felt people were des
> cribing the abilities of the Nox.
>
> Also on video and worth noting, I dug a .22 short
> shell about 9 inches. It gave a good response for
> a tiny target.

I understand Beyonder.
I read your post.
That should say some thing.
I can learn some thing from anyone really.
This later winter/ear,y spring- some rough weather to detecto in.
Even here in the south.

Keep posting about Nox. Please.
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> -----
> > It's funny, there was a guy who thought I was us
> in
> > g two different names on a different forum to st
> ir
> > things up. Truth was, it was just two different
> pe
> > ople with the same opinion. He apologized which
> I
> > accepted and appreciated.
> >
> > My use of the term "magic" was in no way meant t
> o
> > entice, it was just the way I felt people were d
> es
> > cribing the abilities of the Nox.
> >
> > Also on video and worth noting, I dug a .22 shor
> t
> > shell about 9 inches. It gave a good response fo
> r
> > a tiny target.
>
>
> I understand Beyonder.
> I read your post.
> That should say some thing.
> I can learn some thing from anyone really.
> This later winter/ear,y spring- some rough weather
> to detecto in.
> Even here in the south.
>
> Keep posting about Nox. Please.

no harm no foul no hard feelings!
March 26, 2018 06:53PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:

> I already knew what a CTX and E-Trac, with stock 1
> 1” coil could do as far as depth in my ground..
> I regularly picked 7-8” silvers with them both, bu
> t that was about the limit with that coil..
> I had hit a small number of 9” coins with the stoc
> k coil but your down in the faint, thunk, edge of
> detection range..
> Very iffy signals at those depths.. Bigger coils e
> nhanced those signals and produced a rare 10” coin
> now and then..

> The 8, 9 inch coins and the one 10” inch coin I ha
> ve pulled with the Equinox and it’s Stock 11” Coil
> are not iffy signals..
> They don’t feel to be at the edge of detection whi
> ch would be the case for FBS in in my ground
> Like you I have a very good feel of what my Detect
> ors can do..
> It’s not all in the depth either.. There is some w
> eird unmasking going on with the Equinox..
>
>
> Bryan

Bryan --

I think we have talked about this before, but what you said in that first paragraph above that I quoted, is EXACTLY my experience with FBS in my dirt, over 7 years of running Explorers (and recently, now, the CTX). Precisely.

And what you say about the Equinox, ALSO matches my limited experience. I don't have a 9" or 10" coin with it yet, BUT -- the 8" deep wheat I dug did, like you said, seem to have "room to spare." And testing in my test garden confirms this, as I am hitting my test-garden coins a bit deeper with the Equinox than FBS does...

FWIW.

Steve
Start working the deep iron false signals Steve and see if you can isolate some coins..
You will be rewarded..

Bryan
March 26, 2018 07:41PM
Will do, Bryan. Thanks. I haven't ventured into any territory with the EQ yet where I expect to be able to dig much, just getting a feel for it. I'm about ready to venture out with it into some hopefully more productive sites...

Steve
Earthmansurfer dug a 9 inch coin, not iffy at all, id was good as well...

[www.youtube.com]