Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any Infinium help with can poptab rings?

Posted by Kevin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any Infinium help with can poptab rings?
April 04, 2011 01:28AM
Greetings one and all. I was operating an Infinium LS with the stock DD coil at the shore this afternoon. This was at a beach that has been in constant use for at least the last 150 years. Salem - home of the witches, remember?
I was searching for gold jewelry and gold coins. I was down at the water line. I only dug on high-low signals, as would be the case for gold. I kept finding those can poptab rings. There seemed to be so many of them, that I stopped digging a lot of high-low tones, because I figured it must be just another poptab ring. (Not good.) I tried different settings with the discrimination and threshold. I couldn't tune out those can poptab rings, no matter what I did.
I have two basic questions: First, does anyone know how I can tune out those poptab rings with the Infinium? If not, then the next questiion is: Is there anyway to tell that the signal is from a poptab ring, and not from something else?
One idea I came up with this evening is to sprinkle those aluminum poptab rings over the ground before I balance/tune the machine. Then (maybe) I could balance/tune the detector over the poptabs. Perhaps this way, the machine would think that the poptabs were just part of the ground composite makeup. Do you think this might work? Any help or suggestions on this matter is greatly appreciated. If you do offer some help or suggestions, please try and keep it simple. I'm a simple kind of guy. Thanks, keep diggin.....
Re: Any Infinium help with can poptab rings?
April 04, 2011 02:28AM
Kevin,
I'm no expert on this but here is what I have learned on this subject so far.
Even if it were possible to tune out poptabs you would not want to do that. If you did you would also tune out some gold as well.
Avoiding poptabs is your only hope. I just watched Tom's Relic & Beach Hunting DVDs yesterday and he covers this in detail. I can't recommend strongly enough that you buy the set and watch it repeatedly. I have spent several thousands of dollars over the years buying and trying all of the hot new detectors. Hands down, the best return I have ever gotten from a detector related investment was the knowledge I gained when I bought and repeatedly watched Tom's two videos.
The Relic and Beach DVDs were less than $20.00 and the Inland DVD was ~$25.00.
I could have saved a ton of money if I had known about this forum and Tom's videos "back in the day".
Again this is just my opinion and I am in no way affiliated with Tom (except maybe through a kindered interest in engineering.)

I am a design engineer whose primary responsibility is to design cryostats to house superconducting magnets and keep them below 4k (-453F). This is pertinent to my post due to the fact that I don't have an engineering degree. I learned my trade and the science behind it by being able to tell who really knows what they're talking about and who is just blowing smoke so to speak. Then paying particular attention to the truly knowledgable people and asking many many questions.
In my opinion, Tom is not blowing smoke and as a result his videos are lucid, well thought out, and concise. Not to mention the fact that in my limited communication with him, I have him pegged as a damn nice guy to boot. So if you've got it to spend, buy them and you'll be glad you did.

This was all typed in on my phone so please forgive the spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.

Neugene a.k.a. Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 11:00PM by Neugene.
April 04, 2011 02:44AM
Thanks Chris. Super conducting magnets, huh? Sounds like you could build a super detector while on coffee break. I have a feeling that there is no hope for eliminating those poptab rings. I guess PI detectors can not notch out aluminum. Gold and aluminum should give off different EM signatures, I would think. Like I know what I'm talking about.....
April 04, 2011 09:44PM
With current-day technology.......you MUST dig all foil and aluminum tabs in order to find gold. ESPECIALLY 'foil'.
April 05, 2011 11:58AM
Kevin,

Another thing to consider is that most gold jewelry is alloyed with other metals, hence making its 'signature' similar to foil, pull tabs, aluminum, etc.

So, even though pure gold may be higher in conductivity, most gold jewelry will be lower in conductivity due to the alloyed metals and thus be in the foil-aluminum range.

Sadly, you can't discriminate out foil-aluminum or most gold jewelry would be discriminated out too.
April 05, 2011 05:00PM
Thanks guys. I figured. Oh well, something to think about....