Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Videoing hunts

Posted by therover61 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Videoing hunts
April 01, 2018 11:48PM
All I got to say is kudos to all you guys n gals out there that video their hunts. I was at the beach today at a brutal attempt to try to video using my Cool Pix waterproof camera. Go Pro sure is the way to go.

Trying to swing, video and scoop....no way. For the most part it was stop n start for me. I have come to the conclusion I am a hunt and then take pictures kinda guy. I'll leave the videos to the pro's.

Multi Kruzer did great today. Will post pics on another forum and link it.

As for the video, I have to edit that baby up. Cecil B Demille I am not.
Re: Videoing hunts
April 03, 2018 04:48AM
Definitely a tough thing to get the hang of. Pics are great too though!!!
April 03, 2018 09:33AM
People can be brutal as well. Just to time consuming........ and i spend enough time hunting and on the computer.
April 03, 2018 12:57PM
I like doing vids. I just got a new camera so weather permitting I will start posting things again.
April 03, 2018 01:08PM
I use to do videos and then as my detecting time was shortened for various reasons I quit . Decided I would rather be digging than shooting video but still enjoy authentic videos.
April 03, 2018 03:10PM
silverhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use to do videos and then as my detecting time w
> as shortened for various reasons I quit . Decided
> I would rather be digging than shooting video but
> still enjoy authentic videos.

I hear ya silverhound. Spent a lot of time starting/stopping, framing the shot, etc.

The video I did was authentic in the sense ever target I dug was based on the signal attained by the MK. Problem is, I have 20 or so clips I now have to figure out how to edit and put them together. That is an art in and of itself. I do think some of it would be helpful to other MK users.

I can see it being easier when you have a mounted camera where you can let the video continue seamlessly. But trying to hold the camera, detector, scoop, and then try to keep the action framed while putting the detector down to get the scoop....what a nightmare.

Should have just filmed all the wonderful sites on the beach. Lots of pretty women on the beach that day.
April 03, 2018 05:03PM
I just started recording, mainly because I thought I could learn from watching myself
by going back over the videos and seeing what my detector was doing when I found it..
I figured If I end up with some decent footage that I would put it up on YouTube to share with others..
I have no desire to monetize the channel or gain a large following..
My problem is that I keep forgetting to turn it on..
I have missed all my best live digs including my recent Gold Coin find, which at least I recorded after the dig..
It’s definitely an awkward experience. I’m a pretty low key, quiet guy and talking to the camera is the hardest part for me..

Bryan
April 04, 2018 04:31AM
Bryan,

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what to say...plus some of us (yours truly) thinks he sounds horrible on video.

It can be a help when first learning a unit since you can go back and review, listen, etc.

In addition....the profanities come out on my end since I am known to express in 'colors' so it's PG-17. Would never make the Disney Channel.
April 04, 2018 06:02PM
I video with a magic arm on my detector (quick release and attach for the most part.) But, that still takes a little time and gets old. Thing is, I like showing a bit of the screen and checking a few settings. Will the GoPro allow for seeing the screen decently if it is mounted on my Head, Arm, Chest?
What do you GoPro guys say regarding getting a bit of the detector (os as to see some of the screen) ? It would be SOOOOO much nicer to just press the remote (or button) and start stop the recorder.

Thanks in advance,
EMS
April 04, 2018 07:20PM
Albert,

In viewing some of Calabash's videos, it seems the GoPro he uses has voice activation. I hear him say 'Go Pro stop recording' when he wants it to stop. I think he has his mounted on his head. He has great videos of his hunts and I assume if it does have voice activation, it's a newer model so it probably has more mounting options than before.

I was going to look into getting one but after my last video session I have come to the conclusion I will leave it to the pro's out there....it's just not for me.
April 04, 2018 08:01PM
GoPro has a new model, Hero HD, that is half the price ($200) of the last few. Its voice activated, 1080p and very comparable to the more expensive 4k models. Same size and uses same accessories- it looks like a great way to go. I am considering one.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 05, 2018 08:45AM
therover61 Wrote:
> Albert,
>
> In viewing some of Calabash's videos, it seems the
> GoPro he uses has voice activation. I hear him say
> 'Go Pro stop recording' when he wants it to stop.
> I think he has his mounted on his head. He has gre
> at videos of his hunts and I assume if it does hav
> e voice activation, it's a newer model so it proba
> bly has more mounting options than before.
>
> I was going to look into getting one but after my
> last video session I have come to the conclusion I
> will leave it to the pro's out there....it's just
> not for me.

Hey Rover, thanks for the comments. I did hear about the voice activation but really just overlooked it. I guess that is a really nice feature, I mean it is less work than pushing a button!
I will have to give it a good look now. Probably don't even need the model with buttons (there is that smaller one that you operate through the remote (or voice I guess.)
Thanks again,
Albert
April 06, 2018 12:26AM
Its nice but sometimes you will be talking and it will think you told it to cut off and you didn't....lol you just hear beep beep whichs tells you it cut off. Mine is a hero 5, they just come out with a 6 but its over priced imo.
April 06, 2018 04:05AM
I love filming as much as detecting... except when I’m on a good site with limited time. But it never fails. The second I put my camera down, one of us makes a great find. It’s so great to be able to document history coming out of the ground and being able to sit down with your friends and watch it years down the road. A lot of people give me a hard time because I’m not really into showing every single target coming out of the ground uncut. But there’s several others out there doing great tutorials and love digs like Calabash. I’m more into the story telling, documenting and the entertainment side. It’s very time consuming and difficult when one third of my hunting time is spent getting b-roll, drone footage and filming friends digging. To me it’s all worth it when it comes together though. I always joke by saying “If your wife will sit through one of my videos with you, I’m doing something right”. Thanks to all out there who video our experience regardless of whether it’s for educational/tutorials or documentary/entertainment and thanks to all who watch.
April 06, 2018 10:06AM
I for one really enjoy watching your videos 'Dr. Tones', especially the films with drone footage and 'sped up' portions as this helps cut out LOTS of time spent digging (boring anyway's) and gets to the Point quickly.
You're right on the money when you say "it's very time consuming!" It is. Hours spent filming and hours spent 'trying to edit the good entertaining stuff at the computer!'
People just don't realise that for every 3 minutes you watch as a finished clip equals 3 hours TOTAL work incl. filming, editing, special effects, titling etc.
The 'Thames Foreshore' clips are hugely entertaining as I've been there and done that! Did you ever find 'paper money' floating at the tide line? I did...as it blows from the hands of people on the bridges above!!!

Great Work! Keep it up!

Oh, just one more thing: You're also right the 6" EQX coil will be a killer...NB Note to Minelab - an 8" would be even better as that could stay on the shaft all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 10:08AM by Des D.
April 06, 2018 04:45PM
"I'm actually way off on my estimate: it's 3 hours = 1 minute of 'finished video"
April 06, 2018 09:36PM
I wasn’t able to scoop up any cash floating around but I sure had a fun time poking around. Thanks for watching!
April 07, 2018 12:34AM
Dr.Tones Wrote:
> I wasn’t able to scoop up any cash floating around
> but I sure had a fun time poking around. Thanks fo
> r watching!

Your videos are very polished Dr Tones.. mine look like my 6 year old is filming them!
I also have a tough time editing with my Mac book.

I use an magic 11 articulating arm camera holder and a Kodak zx5 camera off eBay. I got the idea from Bill “dirt fishing”
Total cost was $51 lol...

Keep filming guys... we learn a lot from videos... even though it often goes un said.

Thank you

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
April 07, 2018 12:41AM
Gannon Wrote:

> Keep filming guys... we learn a lot from videos...
> even though it often goes un said.
>
> Thank you

EXACTLY !
April 07, 2018 02:52AM
I use the handheld technique yeah it is a lot of work but part of the hunt for me is the find the dig and the video and then the editing..all part of the fun!!!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 07, 2018 10:19AM
The big 'do not's' about detecting videos are:

1. Wind Noise
2. Shaky video
3. Half an hour of a person narrating to a patch of grass or a distant picnic grove gazebo with the detector in view
4. The detectorist not appearing as the narration rambles on
5. Shaky camera panning as the detectorist fumbles with the camera, digger, detector, pin pointer, gloves, ever before digging a hole and when a hole is dug.

The 'do's are:

1. Use a wind sock over the mic (cheap to buy - Rycote is a good brand)
2. Use a Lavelier mic to plug into the camera
3. Use a tripod
4. Show the TID's
5. Capture the target sound/s
6. Show the digger breaking the ground
7. Show the find
8. Move on to the next target and Repeat.