Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ok got a tesoro vaquero coming to test suggestions?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ok got a tesoro vaquero coming to test suggestions?
April 03, 2018 01:29AM
I'm gonna put it up against the fancy pants detectors any suggestions? I'm trying to get a Tejon too but got to find a good deal on one.
Re: Ok got a tesoro vaquero coming to test suggestions?
April 03, 2018 01:43AM
Turn ground balance neg for depth. You can ground balance in disc with these detectors.

Rick
April 03, 2018 01:45AM
thanks.. does negative GB on these detectors have any negative affects in iron?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 01:46AM by calabash digger.
April 03, 2018 03:23AM
Turn sensitivity all the way up then back off to stable. Ground balance then turn counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Set disc to just break up on a square nail. Should be good to go then.
April 03, 2018 03:40AM
Ole' calabash going old school. Be intresting to see.
April 03, 2018 11:17AM
Looking forward to this one
April 03, 2018 11:20AM
Yeah, if you get one with the 8x11 DD coil, it will fail in heavy iron, especially if you crank the sensitivity and threshold up (supertune.) I usually run mine with normal settings and sensitivity according to the site i'm at. In a field where the targets are few and far between, supertuning with a 8x11 is good when you want that extra depth at the loss of discrimination. I've dug small pieces of rusty welded wire fence at max disc while supertuned.
April 03, 2018 12:19PM
Thanks, I was wondering about the negatives of turning that ground balance back a 1/4 of a turn to the negative.
April 03, 2018 12:26PM
I saw your post on my other thread . I'm asking from the EXPERTS how to set it up for the test I do. Supernaut66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, if you get one with the 8x11 DD coil, it wil
> l fail in heavy iron, especially if you crank the
> sensitivity and threshold up (supertune.) I usuall
> y run mine with normal settings and sensitivity ac
> cording to the site i'm at. In a field where the t
> argets are few and far between, supertuning with a
> 8x11 is good when you want that extra depth at the
> loss of discrimination. I've dug small pieces of r
> usty welded wire fence at max disc while supertune
> d.
April 03, 2018 01:23PM
Supertuned and with slightly negative GB should be monster deep in your soil. At least on low conductors. Normal out of the box type settings will be underwhelming from what you are used to.
April 03, 2018 01:28PM
For the tests your doing u would use the 8 x 9 concentric or 5.75 concentric.
April 03, 2018 02:53PM
test on gold chains thanx
April 03, 2018 04:15PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Supertuned and with slightly negative GB should be
> monster deep in your soil. At least on low conduc
> tors. Normal out of the box type settings will be
> underwhelming from what you are used to.

+1
April 03, 2018 06:05PM
I own a UK version of the Vaquero called the Laser Trident11 Extreme,its running at 18khz and came with the 11x8 coil,had the machine a couple of years and also have a Deus that i have had for about 4 years,the Deus is in a totally different league compared the Vaquero,the Vaq is reasonable good at what it does,but the Tesoro offering will never take the crown from my Deus......so testing it against the new offering from Minelab it will be like 'chalk and cheese' no comparison.

The Vaquero with a small coil on like the NEL Snake is what i use and its terrific on trashy roman/saxon sites but that in my mind is the only time it excels.

Must admit it will be interesting to see the YouTube video test.
April 03, 2018 07:08PM
Welgund Wrote:
> Turn sensitivity all the way up then back off to s
> table. Ground balance then turn counter clockwise
> 1/4 turn. Set disc to just break up on a square n
> ail. Should be good to go then.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

tabman
April 03, 2018 07:54PM
Welgund Wrote:
> For the tests your doing u would use the 8 x 9 con
> centric or 5.75 concentric.

+1

tabman
April 03, 2018 08:08PM
Tesoro's in disc are generally set way to positive. That's why the ground balance needs to be turned neg. Try ground balancing in all metal and then turn the ground balance counter clockwise a 1/2 a turn for disc. It gains considerable depth.

My Tesoro's are Tejon and LST with the LST ground balance adjusted internally. Still in a real hunt the Equinox out performed my Impact w/7" coil and Lobo ST w/8" coil finding a wheat at 8" with a good hit all around and I got an bad hit one way and good the other way with the Impact. Another target my LST got no hit and the Equinox got a good hit 45 deg around. It was a good size piece of brass 6" to 7".

The Equinox is doing what it is supposed to do. And I didn't think it would.

Rick
April 03, 2018 09:58PM
All you are going to do is create more controversy and anger people because they are going to tell you that you did something wrong and lack experience. But hey you have fun.
April 03, 2018 10:21PM
To be honest I am glad He is testing an analog type detector against the New digitals. Intresting to see how it compares.
April 03, 2018 10:34PM
goodmore Wrote:
> All you are going to do is create more controversy
> and anger people because they are going to tell yo
> u that you did something wrong and lack experience
> . But hey you have fun.

How in the world does a person get experience.
By doing right?

Besides Tesoro needs a little love.
And in the video I think they will get some.
April 03, 2018 11:02PM
I have hardly ever read a detector comparison where somebody doesn't claim foul. The guy that has been swinging a Tesoro for 10 years is watching a guy compare his model to another after he spends what.,....an hour with it? That is why some forums do not allow detector comparisons. All they do is create resentment and arguments. I thought the Deus comparison was OK because the tester himself is quite good with the detector. But receiving detectors in the mail? Come on! That has a stench at the starting gate. Like I said in another post....Add the disclaimers.....Your soil could produce different results....Operator is inexperienced ....and in no way does this comparison actually mean anything. And then you ask yourself why do it at all. And you will probably come up with the real reason.....Attention!
April 03, 2018 11:51PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I have hardly ever read a detector comparison wher
> e somebody doesn't claim foul. The guy that has be
> en swinging a Tesoro for 10 years is watching a gu
> y compare his model to another after he spends wha
> t.,....an hour with it? That is why some forums do
> not allow detector comparisons. All they do is cre
> ate resentment and arguments. I thought the Deus c
> omparison was OK because the tester himself is qui
> te good with the detector. But receiving detectors
> in the mail? Come on! That has a stench at the sta
> rting gate. Like I said in another post....Add the
> disclaimers.....Your soil could produce different
> results....Operator is inexperienced ....and in no
> way does this comparison actually mean anything. A
> nd then you ask yourself why do it at all. And you
> will probably come up with the real reason.....Att
> ention!

Alright Goodmore I see your point.

So, tell us how long or how many hours one should have on a detector before one does video and post?

There is one person here who has done videos, even compared some other detectors (nails and coin and nail,board rest). So how long had this gent been running the newer detecfor he had in the video.
Where was your crying foul when he posted?

Should a person make a disclaimer at the beginning of every video staring their experience levels with said detectors?

Look, Calabash or anyone else doing videos, they are NOT doctors walking in the operating room to do open heart surgery on you or anyone else.

One might think so though with the ramblings here.

A person has to grow in the hobby.
And grow doing videos.
Will mistakes be made?
Certainly.

Calabash's asking about how to set detecfor means something, or it should.
If anything as a result of this video he does, maybe he learns a thing or 2 about Tesoros.
If so, a big plus the way I see it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 11:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 04, 2018 06:00AM
Stick to the concentric coils, tesoros don't run well in iron with DD coils, just my opinion.
April 04, 2018 07:30AM
I'd guessing the unit only has a few basic type settings on it? With the settings posted here by users, CD should be fit to run a few basic tests with it.
Certainly it would be different with other units like my Signum, there's about 8+ settings to get right before you kick a ball, i'm still learning it several months in, and i know digs4ever on here said it took him over a year to learn it!
April 04, 2018 09:03AM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Stick to the concentric coils, tesoros don't run w
> ell in iron with DD coils, just my opinion.

I second that statement.
April 04, 2018 09:44AM
I found that supertuning the vaquero gives a bit more depth at a big loss of discrimination. I've ran it with a 1/4 turn neg. GB and really have not seen any real difference with that either in real world detecting. It's deep enough just the way it is. After all adjustable GB is for balancing it not unbalancing it. Guess I just take some peoples claims with a grain of salt with any machine. I've been using a vaq for a good number of years now, like to think i'm pretty good with it, and have some decent finds that I don't need to stroke my ego and list for everyone. Do your little review there Calabash and in all honesty. I for one don't care what your review about the vaquero will be, either good or bad. I know what it can do by experience using it, not from what someone on a youtube video or a forum say's. This is not anything personal against anyone here. Just a little reality...haha
April 04, 2018 01:30PM
I know you know what it will do... you have been using it for years. I'm interested in what it will DO againest the so called fancy pants detectors.
April 04, 2018 02:27PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Stick to the concentric coils, tesoros don't run w
> ell in iron with DD coils, just my opinion.

Ya Kickindirt is right about the coils.

Also, Monte demonstrated this on an outing several years ago. Ya wanna kill a Tesoro in iron, just throw a DD coil on it.
April 04, 2018 03:52PM
My advice is to buy and install one of those underground tornado shelters before you post that video because you are bringing an EF5 tornado right down on you. I did the video a long time ago on the Tejon vs F75, and kicked over a hornets nest of Tesoro fanboys. I ended up doing a whole series on it, with updates because people would not accept the F75 was finding minie balls that the Tejon could not.

It started with the whole thing about it not being ground balanced to their liking. Once I did that and showed the same result, it was that I had the wrong coil, that I should have this one or that one. So I did another video with the coils they said I should have. Same result. Then it was my battery was probably bad...then it was my detector must be one of the "cold" ones....that they have a "hot" one that could easily get those bullets. So by this point I was just being a smart A about the whole thing and whatever the excuse was, I had the counter for it. I even got another Tejon and result was the same. For you, you had better show your battery is new for it as evident by the number of beeps on the battery test when you turn it on. Otherwise they will come at you from that angle, cause the Cibola and Vaquero lose a lot of depth on batteries that aren't brand new.

I think it is great what you are doing. It's kind of like the detecting version of Myth Busters. You're putting stuff on the spot and showing that reality ain't always what the forum tall tales have said.

I would LOVE for somebody to do one with a Golden umax in a park. The legend says that a Golden umax can go through aluminum trash and foil, and cherry pick gold rings without digging the trash. I've always heard that, and have saw forum people swear it is true. But I've never seen it demonstrated in a video, not once. I'd love to see it done via raw uncut video. I personally don't think it is true but I'd eat crow if somebody could show it. Maybe a future topic for the Myth Buster.
April 04, 2018 04:52PM
Not sure how to post videos on here but you can watch scannerguy 1968 video on YouTube of the Tejon and Vaquero and see how he sets them up and his tests.