Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

looking for new detector for older house hunting

Posted by farmerboy856 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
looking for new detector for older house hunting
February 03, 2016 02:56PM
We had been strongly considering a minelab as most have seen in my other posts. Figured there are other users out there with non minelab machines that do very well and I would be interested in hearing what others use and have success with. We mainly hunt around old houses in our area that are 1850's and 60's. Farmergirl uses a m6 and omega 8000 I mainly use omega 8000 and mxt pro also have a t2 and atpro but I gravitate more towards the first 2 I listed when hunting the fore mentioned sites. Guess we're searching for something to give us an edge with separation, depth would be nice and not worried about ID as long as it will give a high tone to investigate. Not saying Id at depth wouldn't be a super plus! Tell me what you what works for you what machine has helped you the most at similar old sites? Thanks Josh
Re: looking for new detector for older house hunting
February 03, 2016 04:12PM
After having the M6, Omega 8000, and many many more, I would highly recommend the Makro Racer for hunting old home sites. In 40 years of detecting, I haven't found a detector I like better for hunting those types of sites. The 5x10" coil is an excellent all around coil and the 5" OOR will pull goodies from among dense trash like no other, deep too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 01:47PM by Tom Slick.
February 03, 2016 04:36PM
Racer with the 5" coil it is very deep also

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 03, 2016 05:31PM
Hello farmboy
I hunt the same kind of sites. The machines you mention will do just fine. I always used the F75 and etrac combo but now I use the V3i and xpgoldmax. Just get some small coils if you dont already have some. As for the Minelab,I would highly recommend a FBS unit
Corey
February 03, 2016 07:32PM
I'll second the Racer too with the 5" coil, or wait for the Nokta Impact which should be even better
February 03, 2016 09:13PM
The racer with the OOR coil is second to none in trash, in my experience.
February 03, 2016 09:32PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The racer with the OOR coil is second to none in
> trash, in my experience.

yep. 100%
February 03, 2016 10:02PM
For old home sites,,,,
A very good 2 detector team a Minelab and a Racer.

You bust a site hard with both of those---- most gettable finds should come to light.

The small OOR coil is a must have though for Racer.

And using these 2 detectors--- coins, jewelry, and relics will be found.

The Racer is super easy to operate--- and in and polluted old home sites--- an operator will be very impressed at how the detector locks on to targets
February 03, 2016 10:04PM
Same on the Racer with OOR. Picks apart those trashy sites.
February 04, 2016 01:53AM
If dealing with mostly iron nails and ferrous junk, a Tesoro would be very tough to beat. I have a Nokta Core and my 1997 Tesoro Bandido II blows it out of the water when testing with a nail next to a coin. Yes, even when using the famed "OOR" little coil on the Nokta, VS the stock 8" Chocolate Donut coil on the Tesoro. The nokta is deeper though.

If it were me, I wouldn't even show up without a Tesoro of some sort. A Vaquero would be the pick if you need max depth while still being easy to use. The Tejon has the dual disc which is handy, but can be a little cantankerous to use without a few hours experience to learn it.

I know they don't get much press here, but for working in iron you can't beat a Tesoro. Look up Keith's Tejon videos if you need the proof.
February 04, 2016 02:03AM
I have the Tesoro Bandido II µMax and the Eldorado µMax but still much prefer using the Racer in actual field use. The Tesoro will hold it's own against any other detector on the nail board test but in real world detecting I feel the Three tone mode on the Racer makes a huge difference in pulling non ferrous targets out of the ferrous trash.
February 05, 2016 07:42PM
The Omega in 2 tone with zero disc is not bad at separation. Have you used that setup much?
February 07, 2016 07:31PM
Hey thanks everyone! I've been pretty busy on the farm last few days we've had some nice weather so been getting caught up on a lot of outside chores. Cut some fire wood crawled up all my silos and cleaned the walls just getting ready for the next cold snap. Anyways sure appreciate everyone's input and responses. I'm watching makro and Nokta with great interest. The impact has my attention but I'm thinking it will be a racer if I go that route as I'm planning on choosing a new machine by this spring. I have never tried a Tesoro but am not opposed to learning one although 2 and 3 tone is pretty much a much have for me. Fletch I must admit I've never used the 2 tone on my omega. I mostly use 3 tone with no disc and have good luck. Maybe my mxt pro and omega is all I need. I also have atpro et pro and tek t2 classic but haven't put much time on t2 yet as it was a Christmas present. I just always wonder if I'm missing deeper targets with my current machines. I always played off the depth thing as a way to sell new detectors till I started reading and learning and actually finding some deeper than my normal targets. I could day I've dug more keeper coins outta my yard than with any other machine but that wouldn't be totally fair. I have years of cleaning easy targets and trash out so I know that helps in my favor but I started using tones and ignoring the numbers even one way high tones got dug. Many of which were foil but several surprised me. I don't want to replace any of my current machines. Actually I need to put more time in with mxt as people say with correct coil and such they will also get respectable depth.
February 07, 2016 09:51PM
If you want a Racer, go to one of the classified forums and just post a Want to Buy ad for one and wait a day or so. You will be bombarded with people trying to sell them. I don't get around to many forums these days but from what I have seen, this one is the only forum I frequent that they are popular on. I posted on Findmall a while back and ended up with about a dozen people messaging me with Racers and what they wanted for them. Prices ranged from about $350 to $600 and most were the Pro pack. If you for sure know you want one, that is the way to go and save a lot of money doing so.
February 08, 2016 01:56AM
put a 4x6 DD on your MXT PRO..run in relic mode...

it will reopen your trashy sites..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla