Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My review of the Equinox 800

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My review of the Equinox 800
April 22, 2018 08:37PM
These are my thoughts on the Equinox 800. equinox 800 review
Re: My review of the Equinox 800
April 23, 2018 06:28AM
always appreciate a guy telling like it is or like he believes it is lol. U prob just started WWW3 with the Garrett fan club grinning smiley Out here in Nv gold country I actually believe the 800 is seeing more or close to the Xp hf 5x9 coil. Its hard to say cause I found a lot of stuff with my 5x9 hf coil. A lot of time I think it is just a new footprint in that same area will see just a little bit different and be able to unlock slightly different things. As of right now I think the multi freq is giving me a big advantage in my tuff soil conditions that other machines can't. Man I hope they make a 5x9 for the 800 that would be sweet!! If u compare 11" coil to 11" coil nothing will touch the 800 11". well nothing I've used or seen. OH OH DUDE ha ha ha That is gonna be more famous than the BOOOM BABY guy ha ha ha
April 23, 2018 12:03PM
800 is a solid machine no doubt.....I want the six inch coil. The garrett fan club doesn't care for me anyway.. lol My deus will be my go to in the thickest iron but the Nox has its place. I watched Keiths video last night and we had come to a lot of the same conclusions about the machine and how it handles iron. Its deep in his soil too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 12:14PM by calabash digger.
April 23, 2018 01:45PM
Ole' Calabash backing off a little after Keith's report. Hmm.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 02:02PM by Harold,ILL..
April 23, 2018 02:35PM
Ole Harold I think I posted my review before he posted his on this forum. If I'm wrong please forgive me. Keith is a well respected forum member and successful detectorist and I have watched a lot of his videos . With that being said what he says has NO bearing on what I say about a detector or anyone else for that matter. Did anyone notice how Keith noise cancelled the machine ? If I had done that you guys would have been all over me.

We can all disagree to disagree. LOL I don't make my living from selling detectors and I don't get free detectors either so I can say what I want about any of them without fearing repercussions from the companies.
I am my own person and not a butt kisser of anyone .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 02:36PM by calabash digger.
April 23, 2018 02:52PM
"Did anyone notice how KEITH noise cancelled the machine--if I had done that you guys would have been all over me".

So you're saying that YOU are treated Differently than Keith---This ,of course, begs the question WHY??
April 23, 2018 03:03PM
Don't really care why.... I'm just saying . ...I don't get my value from what you guys think about me or how I'm treated on the forums. My wife and my grandkids love me and think I'm the best thing since sliced loaf bread..... That's what I value in life. Not what people think of me on the internet in cyber reality . I love detecting and knocking heads with others on the forums but how people feel about me on here .... well I don't give to hoots.

BTW I'm hated by a few because I have insulted their precious.......cool smiley
April 23, 2018 03:05PM
My question is why did Keith noise cancel the Equinox on the ground? Which is the right way? In the air or on the ground? Want to make sure I'm doing it right.
April 23, 2018 03:10PM
book says air...but I have seen some cancel the CTX that way too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 03:11PM by calabash digger.
April 23, 2018 03:12PM
Ole' Calabash!
April 23, 2018 03:39PM
I've always noise cancelled my CTX on the ground but, Didn't know if I should with the Equinox. I know the manual says in the air but, that's what the manual said about the CTX when it came out.
April 23, 2018 03:52PM
I noise cancel mine by swinging it like I was detecting. Sometimes I point it right at power lines like it was a gun. Can do the exact same style. I don't think it makes a big difference one way or another it seems
April 23, 2018 03:53PM
"I don't get my value from how you guys treat me or how I'm treated on the forums".

Then WHY accuse people on the forum of treating you differently??
April 23, 2018 04:14PM
calabash-digger: Thanx for taking the time to make the video. Was a good watch. Always better to hear someone narrate a product review, rather than read printed text. So thanx for putting that together !
April 23, 2018 04:33PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> calabash-digger: Thanx for taking the time to mak
> e the video. Was a good watch. Always better t
> o hear someone narrate a product review, rather th
> an read printed text. So thanx for putting that
> together !

+1
April 23, 2018 04:42PM
If you want to talk about the review I did I will be more than glad to. Other than that I don't care to engage in the WHY factor...thumbs down

doc holiday Wrote:
> "I don't get my value from how you guys treat me o
> r how I'm treated on the forums".
>
> Then WHY accuse people on the forum of treating yo
> u differently??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 04:46PM by calabash digger.
April 23, 2018 05:15PM
Thanks guys for the comments.
April 23, 2018 05:17PM
I think one of the things Calabash stated was 100% correct.

If a person is just starting out or ready to move up from their $100 unit, wants an unit for a myriad of hunting applications and has about $800 in the budget, the Nox 800 is a no brainer and probably at the top of the list of detectors to get.

A lot of us here are spoiled. I know I am with my 8-10 detectors. We can isolate and pick from the stable the unit most applicable for the hunting situation of the day.

Most can't do that. I think the Nox 800 with all it's features, even with some faults, is a unit that should be in consideration for anyone looking to get an all purpose detector. Especially for a person just starting out or ready to move up to the next level (shoot, several levels if choosing the 800).
April 23, 2018 05:58PM
Fair enough.

I feel that your latest reviews,since they have been"toned down", gives the newbie and the oldie something to consider.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 09:00PM by doc holiday.
April 23, 2018 06:15PM
I just got a kick outta' how the Nox went from the Greatest detector ever too just ahite.
April 23, 2018 06:36PM
I enjoy your videos along with Kieth's. Thanks for sharing your thoughts via video
April 23, 2018 06:47PM
Harold you of all people should know it takes time to get the full scoop. The Nox is a jam up machine imo it just doesn't trump the deus in heavy iron. What does that say though? How many detectors can beat the deus at the iron game? I hunt thick iron most of the time but when in open field or woods in the more moderate stuff the Nox will get the Nod. Will be interesting to see the what happens with the 6 inch coil.

Did nt it look like the Nox did just as well as the vista gold gain on the nail board test in Keiths other video? Seems to me like the equinox was hanging with that machine on that test with the stock coil? I thought the vista gold gain was supposed to be some kind of miracle worker in the iron?

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I just got a kick outta' how the Nox went from the
> Greatest detector ever too just ahite.
April 23, 2018 06:54PM
Heres the video of the vista gold gain nail board test.....vista gold gain
April 23, 2018 06:58PM
Ole' Calabash!
April 23, 2018 07:37PM
Ole Harold !
April 23, 2018 07:57PM
You forgot the apostrophe after the e. Ha!
April 23, 2018 08:08PM
The gold gain looks like it's handy in iron, personally i see it with it's one fixed freq as a one trick pony.
Just how much better (if it is better) in iron is it over the Nox, we'd need to see them both on the same tests.
April 23, 2018 08:11PM
Calabash....you said it yourself that testing is just that...TESTING.

Real world hunts and areas with iron saturation is where the Deus out kicked the Nox. Same would go for the Gold Gain pitted against the Nox in my opinion.

It's all well and good to be tied in the nail board test. Quite another when the rubber hits the road.

I don't think the Nox will out kick the VGG in iron saturated areas....even when the 6 inch coil comes out. Not with the VGG fitted with the Super Six. Again, my opinion. The Nox will probably out kick it in Daniels dirt and similar bad dirt because it can run multi feq...shoot, he ditched the TDI because the Nox is doing so well in his dirt. As always da dirt makes or breaks it. But the VGG has a manual GB and it may hold it's own.

In addition, it depends if the hunter likes the tones better on the Nox. Audio in my opinion is everything, and how one meshes with the audio is really important. Some might not like the audio on the VGG.

To me, it meshes perfect with my analog, simpleton brain !

I got a VGG for specific reasons. It's paid off already. For me it's a special unit in rusty nail patches in dry sand. I have loads of those areas to hunt. I got it to hunt tot lots too. And when the occasional relic/field hunt comes up (which it did great in). But the dry sand is mild, tot lots are wood chips/rubber for the most part, and the dirt where I hunt is pretty mild, so for me the VGG is a better fit.

I guess for me it comes down to liking how I can look at the faceplate and know exactly how the machine is set up. That's why I love CZ's and like my MXT more than my V3i.

Horses for courses as always.
April 26, 2018 03:41PM
Vista Gold Gain is one of best iron separators on market. Works perfectly for me. Here I have iron junkyards with IWW and IIWW items and older mixed together. Sometimes I have 3 items or more in one hole. I miss XP Deus audio. In my opinion ims perfect, but multitone is not easy to work by a long time in harsh conditions.