Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In depth nail board test with Equinox 800.

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
In depth nail board test with Equinox 800.
April 25, 2018 01:55AM
Heres a look at the Equinox on the nail board test in different modes. EQUINOX IN DEPTH NAIL BOARD TEST... I'm gonna post another video down below this one of the vista gold gain on the nail board test. It starts around the 5 minute mark in that video. You guys tell me which one does better. The gold gain is suppose to be the mack daddy in iron according to some but you guys be the judge. Does the gold gain blow it away ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 01:57AM by calabash digger.
Re: In depth nail board test with Equinox 800.
April 25, 2018 01:57AM
Heres the vista gold gain on the nail board test. It starts around the 5 minute mark...vista gold gain nail board test...
April 25, 2018 02:17AM
Ole' Calabash is back!
April 25, 2018 02:28AM
Good video Calabash.

Some folks might be wondering why you left iron bias at level 6 using prospecting mode.

There is a very good reason why he did.

And I'll let Calabash explain.
Who knows he may do another video showing why he left iron bias at level 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 02:29AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 02:30AM
Ole Harold please give us your expert opinion on the 2 machine s being used in the test. Which one blew the other away ? Was it a draw? Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ole' Calabash is back!
April 25, 2018 02:32AM
Im gonna do a little more testing with that mode before I get into iron bias settings with it. tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Good video Calabash.
>
> Some folks might be wondering why you left iron bi
> as at level 6 using prospecting mode.
>
> There is a very good reason why he did.
>
> And I'll let Calabash explain.
> Who knows he may do another video showing why he l
> eft iron bias at level 6.
April 25, 2018 02:43AM
One other thing to note here.
Notice in Calabash's video, disc was used to eliminate the iron.
It is possible had AM been engaged some possible additional performance could be gotten. Granted a user would have to decipher out of the iron tone. But a slightly longer tone perhaps (and possibly even a signal not gotten before) on some of the sweeps could be achievable.

You'll notice the Gold gain unit video iron is not disced out iron tone wise.
Would be interesting to see gold gain unit tested with iron audio off.

I know what my deep tech warrior does when I go one tone..Seems its separation diminishes slightly. But it's not a gold gain unit, just speculating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 02:53AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 03:05AM
Looks like a draw to Me Ole' Calabash. Of course Yours was more on just the Nail board as Keith's was only shortly on Nail board. I will admit I don't hunt in Heavy iron like You guys. I am a Deep turf Coin Hunter. I will trade speed for depth. That's why I like depth demons like Etrac/Explorer and Fisher CZs.
April 25, 2018 03:19AM
I saw first hand in real world hunts in an iron patch what the VGG can do vs a Nox, F75 LTD, Deus and Makro Kruzer. All hunted the same area. I know which one 'won'.

Nailboard TEST....that's all it is.

None of the units being compared (Nox, Deus, F75, MK or VGG) will 'blow away' any of the others. The margin is slim. It's not like a Formula One car racing a bicycle. They are all Formula One cars and in any given race, one might beat the other. The driver and track play a HUGE part.
April 25, 2018 03:27AM
Good point about the machines being close.... so that kinda answers my question. Why would I give up my fancy pants detectors for a trip back to the 80s...? No GREAT performance increase in the gold gain over the equinox that I can see with the 11 inch coils on both on the nail test. As for judging in the real world it can just be that someone gets there coil over more targets that day. Unless of course your cross checking targets with the different machines to see whats going on. I have tried testing machines in the field against each other and its tuff work. Btw I would like to see some 3 d nail test with the gold gain .
April 25, 2018 03:33AM
therover61 Wrote:
> I saw first hand in real world hunts in an iron pa
> tch what the VGG can do vs a Nox, F75 LTD, Deus an
> d Makro Kruzer. All hunted the same area. I know w
> hich one 'won'.
>
> Nailboard TEST....that's all it is.
>
> None of the units being compared (Nox, Deus, F75,
> MK or VGG) will 'blow away' any of the others. The
> margin is slim. It's not like a Formula One car ra
> cing a bicycle. They are all Formula One cars and
> in any given race, one might beat the other. The d
> river and track play a HUGE part.

When you use the word Deus nowadays, that can be somewhat of a loose term.
And you should now why.
If the Gold gain unit will find everything the Deus with 9" HF coil will in a site wearing 11" DD coil. I'll take 10 gold gain units right now. Question is is it happening? Don't think so.

I think folks are somewhat mislead with the gold gain unit. Why?
For a few reasons, number one what other VLF detector runs at 30 kHz or higher with a 11" DD doil. Nox does, what others ?
Next what other VLF detector runs at 30 kHz or higher wearing a similar sized coil as the what is it 5x8" coil..

So the actual size 11" DD coil is giving it advantage for depth some what. I admit it is a deep unit.
And the smaller 5x8 coil is giving some separation advantage on objects (scenarios) because it is smaller than a 9" Deus HF coil, and smaller than a 11" DD coil on Nox.

What is really striking though, go back up and watch the gold gain vid again.
Why did the nail board have to be swept (looked like at least twice) to get the GB set right so the nails would sounds off with iron tone.
I mean Calabash didn't have to do in his video.

And when I go to a site, how do I know how big the nails are actually in a site. A lot of my sites have mixed sized iron and nails.
Maybe Inshould take a nail board with me if I decide to get w gold gain unit and sweep it when I set up my disc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 03:41AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 03:36AM
Seems to me like you are saying Keith not only hasn't spent any time with the Nox and his nail board test was done all wrong.
April 25, 2018 03:38AM
I didn't catch that .. I will have to go back and look at that. Keith said in his post that prospecting mode unmask the best in iron . I couldn't prove that today on the nail test but will need to do some 3 d test and the such to see if I can prove it.
April 25, 2018 03:49AM
tnsharp...I don't need to watch videos.

I know what the VGG can do.
April 25, 2018 04:08AM
therover61 Wrote:
> tnsharp...I don't need to watch videos.
>
> I know what the VGG can do.

I am sure you do.
You missed the point.

If we put 9" round coil on Gold gain unit and compared it to Deus round HF coil. Which would unmask more targets? I think gold gain unit could be deeper.
But in heavier iron which one would likely win out.
I mean why did Xp out reactivty setting on Deus platform to begin with?
Are there targets that can be gotten with faster settings vs slower?? Sure I have actually done head to head on targets in the wild. So I can actually see Deus beats itself on some targets.

It's all fun. But there is more here than meets the eyes to some.

You want to have fun with a Deus user, find a target with Nox using multi frequency (preferably field 2 or park 2) , and then check with all single freqs on Nox. If no signal period. Ask a Deus user to come and sweep and watch what happens. And depending on which coil they have they may be successful of not depending. It won't be a walk in the park for the deus user. I can promise this.
April 25, 2018 04:10AM
I’m sure that Keith Southern did his homework about the equinox unmasking best in prospecting mode before he posted that video,and I am also sure he ran the equinox in sites full of the worst iron imaginable that been beat on for a very long time. He also probably ran the equinox against some of the best unmasking metal detectors available right now.
April 25, 2018 04:18AM
I have ran the equinox on civil war sites and colonial home sites loaded with iron that have been beat on very hard by other detectorist too..

Heres a video of a plantation site in a spot that has been blitz....plantation site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 04:20AM by calabash digger.
April 25, 2018 04:35AM
In sites with mixed sizes of ferrous, prospecting mode either one is extremely hard to run. Been there and done that. Tone nuance on good targets better with field 2. Nuance on iron falses/wrap easier to discern. Medium and bigger iron really comes in high loads using prospecting modes with 0 iron bias. I can use higher iron bias to neuter, but this defeats the purpose, you lose separation.
Also I find dialing disc field 2 back to how park 2 factory disc is set to help me.

The audio is very telling even in a rough azz site with field 2. The bump in audio (with AM off) is very telling. Exposes the iron. The good signals have the nice lower hollow sound.

Now, if you turn AM on and check, you will many times (in already hard hunted site) hear the drum roll start coming in. But this can be caused by ferrous or not. It can be causes by it seems the detector coming off the edge of target and hitting the mineral. I say this because I have witnessed and after digging never could find any ferrous period,

It is possible the last scenario above may not even be witnessed or witnessed hardly ever when hunting in milder ground. My ground is mineralized. And according Keith's video, my ground more harsh than his. Based on his results gotten in test garden. A ten inch dime is a stretch here for Nox in my soil (using park 1,park 2, field 1 and field 2) And his soil read 4 on the meter. Mine reads around 50. Go figure.
But speed 7 does get down there for decent depth while at the same time Nox is sniffing around the iron- and can in modern trash too.

If Nox was no good.
You can bet I sure wouldn't have spent as much time writing about it, testing it, using it.
Seems Daniel sees what I see too.

Horses for courses I guess.
Right now
I'm riding the Nox.

I'll put these 2 tidbits here I copied.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> ((( Well said )))
>
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> Another one for you...steveg
>
> WHAT IF........... A sharp Chief Design Engineer h
> as figured out a way........ through multiple chan
> nels,,,, multiple frequencies........ certain non-
> incremental bits (out of 32 or 64 bits)........ of
> "seeing" the iron...... then finding the best way/
> channel/frequency/bit....to 'see' the iron the lea
> st.............. whereby/hereby/then .... allowing
> /authorizing the easiest way of NOT seeing the iro
> n; rather...... enhancing/seeing THROUGH the iron.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Bryan........ would you believe: NO! :-)
>
> Brian......... I do believe there is a strong poss
> ibility the EQIQ "may" open up old/dead sites; yet
> , , , , , through archaeological site excavation v
> alidation......... I know most targets are out of
> range.......,,,,,,,,, too deep..... in my locale.
> Especially high-density gold coins.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 05:31AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 12:45PM
I realize a lot of folks want to use the best detector they can afford to find things in sites.

And which is best is asked about and talked about.

And we do chase behind other detectors (likely older models) many times.

But chasing behind don't necessarily tell the whole story as far as a detector's overall capability.
Why?

Sure we could run 20 models of different detectors through a site with various sized coils. And hope we clean out.
But what if the site was hunted straight oit the gate with the newest released " super detector", and I am not necessarily alluding to meaning Nox is this super detector.

But what if we actually took the so- called super detector in first off and it actually found a higher percentage of targets vs most or all of the older detectors could or did???
Be nice if we could know for sure a target is nonferrous and actually leave buried wouldn't it?
Some can I think, but definitely not all.

So we really aren't rating on this forum many times how capable a detector is on a virgin detected site are we ???

Now I sure had rather buy 1 model detector and maybe a coil or 2.

Versus buying 5, 10 or 20 different models with various coils.

Just my perspective.

Really this can boil down to time spent actually detecting yielding equivalent or higher numbers of nonferous finds too.

And the above I think is a great deal of what Minelab was alluding to with their obsoleting remarks.

Last thing here.
And here I am going to brag a little on Equinox.
To the actual users who have some pretty good hours using.

Which detector currently made worldy in your mind if you just did select digging, all sites in search of the $1 gold coin. Which detecfor in your mind based on your experiences with other detectors as well as Equinox, is the odds on favorite to locate the $1 gold coin??

I truly think right now it is the Equinox.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 01:12PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 01:59PM
I'll take Keith's findings.
April 25, 2018 02:37PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> I'll take Keith's findings.

I'll take my findings. Lol

Got that Gold Gain unit ordered yet ??

We'll be watching for the 6" coil performance on Nox.
Some may be surprised.

Btw, how a detector sounds on a nail board test, usually don't match reality in the wild. Goes for Equinox, Deus and many others.
Be nice if all sites were trashed with more uniform sized iron.

In areas already deemed to have smaller iron and nails, sure prospecting mode useful.

Sorta biased though if you are going in to a site you are already very famiiar with though.

Would I ever go into a strange site and flip to prospecting mode and hunt ? Nope

Would need to gather some Intel on the site using other detect Modes before I would try prospecting modes.

Again, gotta watch out when we take a detector to an already familiar site and reporting on what's best course of action.

You see I am a realist.
Learned a lot in last 6 plus years too.

Lots of different folks read here. They might get the wrong idea(s).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 02:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 02:47PM
Hmm others who have spent more time with the machine cant possibly know whats up with it ..... because their opinion differs . According to his review of the Vista gold gain all relics hunters need one. How many on here have ordered one? What are your findings with the machine?

I want one to try one on some test but im not gonna fork over 800.00 bucks for one and a super six coil as that would strain me because we are starting a remodel project before long.. I would pay shipping both ways for one if someone would loan me one to film against the Equinox and Deus. Same test I have been doing..
April 25, 2018 02:59PM
Hey Calabash...I will send you mine. With both coils.

Under one condition. You can test all you want. You can film all you want while testing. But you have to take the VGG out for several hunts. And use headphones. No filming...just get out there and hunt with it and once you learn it a bit, dig all the non-ferrous hits.

I know soon you are going to get busy so you may not have as much time to hunt.

Keep it for a week or 2...BUT HUNT WITH IT !!! You have already acknowledged that testing is one thing...hunting is another.

Send me your info via PM. We can square up on costs whenever.

I know one thing. You will crack up once you open up the box and see what it looks like. Far cry from a Deus or Nox !!! HA !

John
April 25, 2018 03:10PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I am a Deep turf
> Coin Hunter. I will trade speed for depth. That's
> why I like depth demons like Etrac/Explorer and Fi
> sher CZs.

Harold, I don't have any experience with the Etrac/Explorer but I do have lots of experience with the Fisher CZ's and I agree they're deep seekers, but they will also have you digging deep holes chasing small rusty iron. My experience with the Equinox is that it is just as deep, maybe deeper, without making you dig the small rusty iron. It also gives you more adjustability and more information about the target to help you decide if you want to dig it or not. The Equinox is a very good machine considering price, performance and how light it is.
April 25, 2018 03:11PM
That's a deal I will take it on a few hunts. I will not be able to spend a whole lot of time with it in the field but I will give it a try on some relic sites. I got one here in town that's loaded with iron. Can I film it on the LAST hunt before I send it back? BTW I sent personal info to you. Thanks! My wife wasn't going for another 800.00 bucks on my addiction opps I mean hobby. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 03:14PM by calabash digger.
April 25, 2018 03:44PM
Here's a pic to illustrate what I have been trying to say as far as using prospecting mode goes.
Dime in pic to show iron size.

Now if I select prospecting 1 mode iron bias 0, this iron will sound off as good target for quite a ways around when rotating and sweeping. Like almost 360 degrees.
Dialing iron bias up to 5 it because Equinox to start telling me it's iron.

Field 2 same speed setting and 0 iron bias. I get a WHOLE lot more angular sweep with audio telling me this is iron. Granted at some angles of sweep it too sounds good.

So percentage wise how much better is prospecting mode really over field 2 for example.
I'll let someone like Mr Dankowkwi tells us. I won't and can't.

Now sure in bad ground prospecting mode is deeper, and in the gaps with ferrous a person might lock onto a find.

But in a site with loads of mixed sized ferrous, and you plan to use prospecting mode, get ready, you'll need some real patience. And expect quantities of ferrous dug to rise.

Of course a person could cross check targets located with detect modes like field 2 or park 2. Might not help much though unless the target is in fact on of those sitting more solo and deeper. I mean if you indeed have a target prospecting mode is alerting and the other detect modes won't they won't tell you anything as far as if you indeed have a signal or not.

Actually prospecting mode on Equinox to me anyways is a lot like good field program on Deus,
But seems I am the only one here to ever really talk about using gold field using Deus in relic site.
I see a lot of similarities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 03:55PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 25, 2018 03:47PM
Shakydigger, don't forget the Fisher CZ has a 8"coil also.
Also ground and how hot a CZ You have plays a part.
I do have a Super hot CZ-3D Tom tuned to 12.1" and My ground is Mild. I don't know about You but been using them for about 20 Years and Yes they will hit on a Deep nail or two but with experience You will dig less. And don't ask Me why but the one I have now is best in not falsing on iron as any I ever had. That's what's kinda cool about them as they all are a little different not the same. Maybe I am a Dinosaur but I like that about them.
My Etrac won't touch it with the 8" Sunray and may I.D. better at depth with stock Pro-coil but not pure raw depth. And put on the 10.5" Coil and it hits deeper on coins on edge.
Have not had a Nox but sure it is a fine Detector in its own right. I hear it false's on None ferrous trash like tabs,foil,and steel bottle more so then a CZ?
Not here of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 07:08PM by Harold,ILL..
April 25, 2018 06:53PM
Harold, I loved using the CZ's. 10.5 in coil was my weapon of choice and I still have great respect for all the CZ series. The one big drawback to me about them was their weight. They were a bear to swing all day with the big coil. I think the Equinox is a better machine based on weight, the ability to tune the machine to your liking, price and performance. I'm not knocking the CZ's, just saying that if you like the way that they perform, you really should give the Equinox a try. You might like it. The Equinox really is a nice machine, despite all the hoopla, both positive and negative surrounding it.
April 25, 2018 07:09PM
Just tried my nox600 at a low mineral FL Gulf beach vs. my trusty CZ6 chest mounted with the 10.5” coil. All targets planted 14k gold jewelry buried up to 10” or so (for the biggest items).

The CZ is clearly deeper on a good sized men’s gold wedding band - by a good margin

The Nox is deeper (a typo said “deader” - fixed that) on small rings, earrings, etc (beach 1 or 2)

The Nox’s signal returns are generally softer and a bit “iffy” in many cases.

The CZ hits much more solidly on all targets.

Beach 1 was noisy in the water. Pinpoint didn’t work well in the water.

Both detectors falsed on rusty beer caps and would have me digging them most of the time.

More tests to come, but - in the shallow water, I much prefer my (unmodified) CZ6 with the waterproof phones.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2018 07:36PM by lytle78.
April 25, 2018 07:16PM
Yep, You are right about that 10.5" Coil as it can be a beast to swing. I use it just once in awhile when I think I have a spot cleaned out. Will hit it with that one for a deepie or two. Yes like Etrac sure the Nox is good as Minelab makes a good Detector for sure. I still think the Etrac I.D.s better at depth from what I seen. But the Nox is faster and waterproof so both have their positive.