Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Tesoro for beep-dig

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Tesoro for beep-dig
August 31, 2016 11:32AM
I have used the Vaquero in the past and was impressed with its EMI resistance and overall depth/performance in iron. Older out of production machines aside, what other models should one consider for a beep dig machine?

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: Best Tesoro for beep-dig
August 31, 2016 11:58AM
Bandido II Umax or a Silver Umax or if you can find a Sidewinder Umax all of these are great detectors. Another brand of beep and dig I'd recommend is a Fisher 1236x2.
August 31, 2016 12:06PM
The 1236x2 is a good one for sure. I have more hours on one (well into the thousands) than all other detectors combined. LOL To qualify my post I would be using concentric coils only.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
August 31, 2016 12:10PM
I use the UK version of the Vaquero called the Laser Trident11 Extreme with the 11x8 DD coil on,one can either use it as a very good basic switch on a go machine in fixed GB mode or use the manual GB mode to gain maximum performance out of the machine,even with the 11x8 coil on the machine is in the feather weight division which is very nice as some times i have problems with a wrist as a result of a road accident decades ago.

The other 2 Tesoro based machines that i use also are the Silver Sabre 11 and a Laser B3,but as both of these machine are oldish models they dont really count i guess.
August 31, 2016 12:31PM
Tom those 1236x2's are my favorite out of any beep and dig machine they don't have a ground balance feature but got better depth than a lot of the Tesoro's that have a ground balance feature and I have the same type of dirt as Keith Southern.
August 31, 2016 03:35PM
Good question Tom. You want one with a ground balance so you can power balance if you want.

So I would say your choices are the Tejon, Vaquaro, Lobo ST and if can find one the Bandido 2 umax or Eldorado umax.

Rick
August 31, 2016 04:10PM
Bandido 2umax..

Lobo st..

Euro sabre 8x9 coil.

vaquero or better yet modded cibola..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 31, 2016 04:17PM
What about the original Bandito aka 3 lbs. of dynomite?
August 31, 2016 04:27PM
Euro sabre would be nice. Has the iron audio in a 2 tone mode. Has a ground balance too. Would be hard to find though. I would like to try that one. I wonder why Tesoro stopped making it.

Would like to see that on the Tejon.

Rick
August 31, 2016 05:42PM
I'm a Lobo St fan myself for a Tesoro beep dig.

HH
Mike
August 31, 2016 06:59PM
Hombre raves about the Outlaw. He was even a field tester for it.
August 31, 2016 07:59PM
golden sabre
August 31, 2016 09:18PM
I had forgotten I used the Lobo ST for a while. One thing I really liked was the way it let you know there was big iron, axe heads and such, under the coil. Very deadly on old nickels. A real nickel killer!

Thanks Mike!

August 31, 2016 09:21PM
Keith

The modded Cibola was either not in my radar or I am getting old an forgetful. LOL Ground balance added?

August 31, 2016 09:22PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hombre raves about the Outlaw. He was even a field
> tester for it.

Harold

I looked up the Outlaw and see it is a slightly lower frequency than V & C. Seemed to get mixed reviews from Tesoro fans?

August 31, 2016 09:29PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
> Euro sabre would be nice. Has the iron audio in a
> 2 tone mode. Has a ground balance too. Would be
> hard to find though. I would like to try that one.
> I wonder why Tesoro stopped making it.
>
> Would like to see that on the Tejon.
>
> Rick

Rick

Next time we get out to the old lumber camp, I'll take you up on the offer to try the Tejon. That camp was full of buttons and 45-70 hulls.
Tom

August 31, 2016 09:55PM
I'm a big fan of the 1236X-2 also. Had a deep Los Banos one and found some deep seated coins and relics with it.
Tried a Taiwan model and it wasn't near as deep as the Los Banos one. Unfortunately I don't have one in my arsenal now, but I'm watching

I have a Tesoro Silver right now that I use on occasion and it's just a pleasant detector to use, I also have a royal sabre which I will use for nostalgic reasons.

All the Tesoros I've ever had were good detectors.
September 02, 2016 11:23AM
I have owned most Tesoros at one time or another. You asked for in-production models.

I would definitely recommend the Vaquero. Learn how to super tune and you have a very deep and capable detector.

There is a good book about the Tejon and Vaquero Detectors on Amazon that opened my eyes to a few things that I didn't know. It is in electronic format and is about $10 and a bargain. (Didn't know about holding the pinpoint button over target until sound diminishes to the threshold level and then sweeping again while still holding button)

I think what makes the Tesoros so great is the lack of signal filtering.
September 02, 2016 10:50PM
Hungarian Wrote:
> I have owned most Tesoros at one time or another.
> You asked for in-production models.
>
> I would definitely recommend the Vaquero. Learn
> how to super tune and you have a very deep and
> capable detector.
>
>
> There is a good book about the Tejon and Vaquero
> Detectors on Amazon that opened my eyes to a few
> things that I didn't know. It is in electronic
> format and is about $10 and a bargain. (Didn't
> know about holding the pinpoint button over target
> until sound diminishes to the threshold level and
> then sweeping again while still holding button)
>
> I think what makes the Tesoros so great is the
> lack of signal filtering.

Excellent information. Thanks!

September 03, 2016 02:52AM
In my opinion any Tesoro is a great beep & dig detector. I have never had a Tesoro that I did not like.
September 03, 2016 03:56PM
Modded Cibola - If you want a really good, inexpensive performer.

Vaquero if you don't want to mod a Cibola - the Vaquero will not be as good though, in my experience.

Outlaw - If you want a sweet coin and jewelry machine for more modern sites, don't bother with the 3 coil pack, the 8" donut is the best.

Tejon - If you want to spend this much you can't go wrong with it, 9x8 coil. I don't know about the new DD coil.

I would strongly recommend the Tejon, for depth and performance in Iron it you can't really beat it.
September 03, 2016 10:39PM
Really like the vaquero. Some of my relic sites, I have to hike into. I can take the vaquero apart and put in my back pack. Rugged built, good disc and all metal. Use the 5.75 concentric or the DD in mineralized soil, works great.
September 04, 2016 02:06AM
If any of you beep and dig fans are looking for a Vaquero I have one listed on Steve's site.
It's kind of two detectors in one.
I made a custom shorty shaft and put a Nel Snake coil on it so you can turn the Vaquero in to a deep nugget pin-pointer/nugget Hunter/cellar hole detector.
Also comes with the original full size shaft and Widescan coil.
All parts are in new condition. I never have had a chance to use it.
The shorty is about 17" long standing up and can be stuffed in to a backpack.
Pretty neat setup.

[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 02:11AM by Cabin Fever.
September 05, 2016 02:33PM
Any Tesoro is a great 'beep and dig' detector, but let's not forget that Tesoro detectors have one of best discrimination circuits in the business. My favorite Tesoro is my modded Cibola. It's a kick butt detector.

tabman