Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Handheld GPS units for relic hunting

Posted by groundscanner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Handheld GPS units for relic hunting
April 14, 2011 05:08PM
Is anyone using a GPS to track your movements and to mark finds? If so what unit are you using?

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. would having a GPS unit on interfere with the detector?
Re: Handheld GPS units for relic hunting
April 14, 2011 05:43PM
I bought a Garmin GPSMap 60csx this year and I should have done it a long time ago. I tried out my sons Etrex but it wouldn't hold a signal under the tree canopy, and that's where I need it the most, but the 60csx works great.

I used it a few weeks ago at an old camp that is now completely overgrown and I was impressed immediately. We were searching for an old ballfield that was well off the beaten path and with some of the nastiest underbrush I'd ever hunted in.

I plugged in the coordinates of home plate, and after altering our course a few times because of the head high thornbushes and squeezing through popple thickets and scrub oak the gps showed that we were getting closer.

When it said 2 feet I looked down and there was a hump and we could barely make out the first and third baselines which were now used as runways by the deer and other critters. It was right on the money and there was no way to tell that was an old ballfield without using the gps.

There's other newer models out there but this one has been the standard for a long time and it's perfect for what I do. It only took me about a month to finally make up my mind which is par for the course for me :-)

Mike

PS I didn't notice any interference between the Garmin and the F75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 05:46PM by mikewaz.
April 14, 2011 10:31PM
I had thought about buying one. But I decided that I had enough to carry and try to keep up with. A lot of stuff that I started out with now is sitting in the closet.

Tom in SC
April 15, 2011 01:32AM
Thanks guys.
April 15, 2011 10:05PM
It should interfere with the detector because it's a receiver not a transmitter...but of course some electronics not intended to be transmitters transmit more RF then those that are smiling smiley