Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My favorite non metered minelab....Musky Airtest video added!...Added my old recovery speed test Video also

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I've dug a ton of DEEEEEEP relics with the Musky..Even a 5k dollar Mississippi Martingale in a ton of aluminum trash...

Once you get used to the smoothness Vs the scratchiness of the audio it will surprise you in old and new trash...

Best Confederate tin back button digger I've ever found...

Actually all the muskies are deep but I prefer the Advantage to them all...a close second is the Old Metal box green musky with raspy audio report..

Even with these 7.25 coils they are extremely deep and sleuthy in trash too boot..

Sven has My Musketeer mods on his Website ..[www.treasurelinx.com] this will also carry over to the Musketeer XS and colt..

I can talk for hours on the Musky series if anyone has any request??

They will give you an ear bashing and they require a certain skill level to succeed with them because of the noise and ultra high tone pitch but they are on 5Khz and punch dirt great and love all conductors low or high especially high....I know some guys who hunt silver exclusively wihtt these units and they dig silver in parks DEEEEEP...I like a good set of koss phones with mine...the Higher pitched Killer bs Sunrays and Grey ghost and such will make your ears bleed and have no subtle nuances...the Koss type phones on 32 Ohms will really talk to you and still be crisp to boot..

Heres mine on a straight shaft..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 02:08AM by Keith Southern.
Re: My favorite non metered minelab
October 01, 2016 11:45PM
Well I gotta' ask Keith. Does it have Modulated Audio?
It would Help with a single Tone unit.
October 02, 2016 12:37AM
Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine. I've owned and used all the Musky models including the Sterling. Still use mine hunting old logging camps and lumber mill sites but I have a new Deus I will be giving a workout this winter at my iron laden sites.

October 02, 2016 01:35AM
I have used a few of the "Muskies" and agree that they are a deep seeking fun to use good all around detector.
October 02, 2016 02:23AM
I may have too dig out my old Musky and dust it of again,although i do own both coils i really liked the small 7.25'' coil the most especially when using it for shalow ford crossing detecting as it reduces the drag from the river flow.Never really got into Minelab machines but the Musky just had something special about it,they are heavy machines but when i use mine i carry the control box around my neck in the blue hip bag.
October 02, 2016 11:08AM
The Musketeer Advantage is also my favourite machine too, I wish minelab would bring it back like they have with the GPX 4500, biggest mistake I ever made was trading mine in on the GT.
October 02, 2016 05:25PM
O Yeah Harold AWESOME MODULATION

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 02, 2016 05:26PM
Nice Rig !!

Like the blue shaft!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 02, 2016 05:32PM
Ski...Yep they are really deep!!

J&d...get It out it's doing no good in the closet!!

Au... yeah they are deeper than a Sovereign in disc mode..

Too bad they stopped making the Musky line...The Musky was a direct reply to the 1266..Minelab wanted to challenge the 1266 (for real) and they did and more..they gave it 1266 depth and more if you ask me... plus they gave it y alot better discriminator...

One of the deepest if not deepest VLF units ever produced..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 02, 2016 05:33PM
Here we go again!

Better grab a musky now/before the prices double like they did a few months ago on the sovereigns when Keith brought them back from all but the dead grinning smiley
October 02, 2016 05:43PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Au... yeah they are deeper than a Sovereign in
> disc mode..
>
> Too bad they stopped making the Musky line...The
> Musky was a direct reply to the 1266..Minelab
> wanted to challenge the 1266 (for real) and they
> did and more..they gave it 1266 depth and more if
> you ask me... plus they gave it y alot better
> discriminator...
>
> One of the deepest if not deepest VLF units ever
> produced..
>
> Keith

I agree Keith I hit some very deep targets with the Advantage just using the standard TS-1000 Coil, But I have always wanted a Relic Hawk which was an earlier version of a Musky with big coils and styled like the GP-3500 which is another machine I like and have own a couple of them.

Thanks Keith.

John.
October 02, 2016 05:58PM
In Mild to Moderate ground it won't whip a Nauty!
Not in Ole' Hot ground. I guess I will have to add that from now on as seems I'm only one here without Hot ground.
October 02, 2016 06:31PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> In Mild to Moderate ground it won't whip a Nauty!
> Not in Ole' Hot ground. I guess I will have to add
> that from now on as seems I'm only one here
> without Hot ground.

Harold my ground is pretty lazy, my GND readings are between 57 to 67 at the max and I am often digging deep coins over the 12" mark using the 950 coil.

John.
October 02, 2016 07:19PM
Better not tell some on here they won't believe You and excuse You of not kowing anything, as a lot of know it all's here.
October 02, 2016 07:24PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In Mild to Moderate ground it won't whip a
> Nauty!
> > Not in Ole' Hot ground. I guess I will have to
> add
> > that from now on as seems I'm only one here
> > without Hot ground.
>
> Harold my ground is pretty lazy, my GND readings
> are between 57 to 67 at the max and I am often
> digging deep coins over the 12" mark using the 950
> coil.
>
> John.

Dude if I could I would Buy You a Beer! Thank God someone else on here doesn't have Hot Ground.
October 02, 2016 08:44PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > In Mild to Moderate ground it won't whip a
> > Nauty!
> > > Not in Ole' Hot ground. I guess I will have
> to
> > add
> > > that from now on as seems I'm only one here
> > > without Hot ground.
> >
> > Harold my ground is pretty lazy, my GND
> readings
> > are between 57 to 67 at the max and I am often
> > digging deep coins over the 12" mark using the
> 950
> > coil.
> >
> > John.
>
> Dude if I could I would Buy You a Beer! Thank God
> someone else on here doesn't have Hot Ground.

Our members Junk and Disorderly and Ghound also have the same type of ground as me so we can cheat as to what type of coils we use, Even using a 15" Concentric has no ill effects, Although I own many DD's I just don't have a real need to use them where I am.

john.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 08:49PM by auminesweeper.
October 02, 2016 08:53PM
If My ground was as Hot as Some I would move or get out of the Hobby! Lol.
October 02, 2016 09:08PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> If My ground was as Hot as Some I would move or
> get out of the Hobby! Lol.

Well I took one of mine back to OZ with me and it still worked well, At times it was tough going but it still found Gold even though it just about red lined the GND reading on the meter, This is where Detech coils come in handy because they are not as hot on Tiny bits like the Whites coils are, Detech seen to work better in such Ground,

I don't remember ever having trouble with my Musketeer over here, but in OZ would have been a different story..
Musky Airtest video added!.. and recovery speed test
October 02, 2016 09:14PM
Airtest

[www.youtube.com]

Recovery speed

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 02:09AM by Keith Southern.
Re: My favorite non metered minelab....Musky Airtest video added!
October 02, 2016 09:19PM
Deepest coin I ever dug (actually it was a token about quarter size) was with the Advantage and a WOT coil.

Need to read the tuning tips and get mine back in tip top condition.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: Musky Airtest video added!
October 02, 2016 09:51PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
>
> Keith

Keith, I will try and get you one of them coils if you want Ok,

John.
October 02, 2016 10:20PM
Keith thanks for starting this post.

I had the Musky Advantage for a short time and wish I had given it more time. One day I was hunting a field (part of it was filled with tons of coal ash) and was part of an old fairground. The "smoothness" you describe on good targets is very accurate. I think back to that day hunting with the Musky in the coal ash and how scratchy the targets (like ripples on a pond) were... then pure smoothness showed up. I hear this target that was very distinct with "smoothness" - like the ripples died down and a mirror finish appeared on a lake. Nothing staggering however a 1947 silver Rosy made its way to the surface. Fun little machine indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 10:24PM by EPL II.
October 03, 2016 03:48AM
Hey Tom!!

Weird how that Musky can run a big coil in trash and still dig deep aint itwinking smiley

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 03, 2016 03:50AM
Very Kind John..

But Looking around I found a UK dealer who ships worldwide..

Ill keep you in mind though for my Overseas Connection!!

Very kind again Sir!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 03, 2016 03:51AM
Yes the SMOOTH sounds...

Great analogy you gave to Boot!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
October 03, 2016 06:35AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Very Kind John..
>
> But Looking around I found a UK dealer who ships
> worldwide..
>
> Ill keep you in mind though for my Overseas
> Connection!!
>
> Very kind again Sir!
>
> Keith

Your Welcome Keith,

good luck.

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 10:01AM by auminesweeper.
Very impressive. I wonder why they were not more popular? How's the depth on coins only discrimination?
For the most part I ran mine with just enough disc to knock out foil and still got that great depth on coins. Alternatively set it a bit higher but still accepting nickels.

Tom

Detectorist Wrote:
> Very impressive. I wonder why they were not more
> popular? How's the depth on coins only
> discrimination?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
October 03, 2016 09:50AM
Keith

It really loves the big coins at depth but it also hits shallower IH's in mixed trash using the WOT. Dug a Canadian large cent out of iron at 9-10" with the 10" coil. Nice smooth soft hit.

Tom

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Hey Tom!!
>
> Weird how that Musky can run a big coil in trash
> and still dig deep aint itwinking smiley
>
> Keith

one good thing on a musky is even when you turn up disc to say zinc penny the depth does not suffer...

They were not popular because they were not metered and not BBS or FBS or Vflex etc...not flashy in other words...

they really never pushed them either..and the prices fluctuated like crazy....At one time you could buy them for like 329.00 then they went to like 600.00 same units just a year later..

People in the know jumped on them and alot wont use anything else still to this day...

Silver killers....Shhhhh!

those guys in europe still use them in those WW2 trench lines looking for those deep helmets..

That's why companies still make coils for them there's that much demand for them still after being discontinued...Says alot..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 11:18PM by Keith Southern.