Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

are there any tesoros that run similar to the compadre?

Posted by farmerboy856 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
are there any tesoros that run similar to the compadre?
October 27, 2016 12:27AM
So I have a compadre and I really like it for all the famous well known reasons. I'm just curious if silver or Cibola would run act and sound similar and maybe hit coins a bit deeper? I'm not even sure how deep my compadre will go on say a dime, I just know I really like using it a lot and would be interested in going a step up if I stood to gain anything. I really like the sounds the compadre makes and how good the disc works and I don't need manual ground balance or want it for that matter. Thank you Josh
Re: are there any tesoros that run similar to the compadre?
October 27, 2016 12:34AM
The next closest Tesoro would probably be a Cutlass Umax
October 27, 2016 12:37AM
I have 2 compadres, 1 Vaquero, 1 Bandido 2 micromax and 1 Tejon and still use my little compadres just as much. Just plain fun and it it's amazing the amount of couns and jewelry it finds in the same areas I have hit with the others. My oldest coin to date was found with the compadre with the 5.75 coil at an old homestead I had hit with several top end machines a 1853 seated quarter go figure
October 27, 2016 02:13AM
I think the Eldorado II µMax with its 180 Disc is about as close to the Compadre as any other Tesoro. It also offers manual GB, and an all metal mode.
October 27, 2016 03:41AM
What, exactly does the Compadre do that other Tesoros can't with the same size coil?
October 27, 2016 07:16AM
Magic!.......
October 27, 2016 07:19AM
Tom S. is correct, the Eldorado in the microMAX housing with the ED-180 Discrimination (same as the Compadre) will provide you much better all-purpose performance. You said you don't want manual Ground Balance, but all the other models from Tesoro that I can think of have the more limited or restrictive lower-end Discrimination range of ED-120 or ED-165 or so, out of the models since the ED-120 was introduced with the original Bandido back in March of '90.

Models with the variable ED-180 Disc. acceptance range include the mentioned Eldorado, the Euro Sabre, and the Tejón, and both the Euro-Sabre and Tejón have added adjustment features that affect their complexity or cost. My personal favorite of all Tesoro's ED-180 Disc. models is the Eldorado, and it gives you some added plus points over the Compadre.

1.. It has more power and detection depth.

2.. You have a Threshold-based All metal mode to assist in some area searches in that mode, or for Pinpointing targets.

3.. You have the ability to change search coils and not be limited to the fixed coil on a Compadre.

4.. Best yet, you can adjust the Ground Balance which will provide better performance in challenging soil, and also let the operator calibrate the detector to any change in search coils. (Just another term for adjust the Ground Balance to match the requirements of a different coil in the circuitry).

My personal observation here is that you want to get Tesoro-type performance similar to the Compadre that would provide you better depth and overall success afield, but you don't want to have manual Ground Balance. That, in my opinion, is counter to what is really needed to improve overall performance from what their lowest-end detector can provide. Manual Ground Balancing is a very easy-to-do process, and at any change of site, from really good to really bad, a functional GB can be achieved in 5 to 15 seconds after turning the detector on, so why not move up in features and function in order to move on in performance and versatility?

Monte

PS: If you decide to shop for a very clean, 'as-new' looking Eldorado, I have one with a 7" Concentric and 10X12 DD coil for sale. Shoot me an e-mail.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
October 27, 2016 05:50PM
Thanks, Monte. You ever answer your emails? lol
October 30, 2016 12:22PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm debating a new silver or the Eldorado 11. Appreciate the input and I will let folks know what I decide on. Josh