Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Since my last post about archaeological investigations Drew No replies I couldn't help but post this one

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
[www.academia.edu]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Forgive me for not reading through all the pages of that. But were metal detectors used for the recovery of artifacts in that archie report ? And/or were hobbyist-level md'rs conscripted to help with that effort ?

If so: Be aware that the md'ing spoken of in situations like that, are not what you might think they're about. It's actually quite boring to md alongside with archies. You can't just stop and dig various target beeps. Neeeoooohhh. You have to flag the beeps with a little flag. Then the archie will come by a day later and dig the hole with a paintbrush and tweezers, blah blah blah.

Whereas the average md'r will get the beep, dig it up, and look at it. And whereas we find no fascination with nails, wire, etc... (which, quite frankly, we discriminate out in the first place), the archie will be beside himself with glee over each nail, bit of charcoal, etc....

Not saying we shouldn't volunteer our services, of course. But just saying it will be quite a let-down over our normal techniques, vs their painful processes.

I love their reports though, as it tells me places to pursue md'ing at. Doh !
You'll find that unless your post has a video in it, few folks on here will respond. Unfortunately.

OTOH, the PDF you reference is quite long. Interesting to me, though.
Didn't have the time to read it all but enjoyed the pics, thanks lytle.
Tom! Welcome to the forum! I consider you "the champion" of metal detector rights! It's good to have you aboard!
Nice report..

definitely looks like a PURE Cavalry camp.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom! Welcome to the forum! I consider you "the
> champion" of metal detector rights! It's good to
> have you aboard!

Ha, thanx Beyonder-PA. Yeah, md'ing = "grovel" vs "just grow-a-pair" , is a topic that's always intrigued me too smiling smiley