Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

705 question for Keith or others

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
705 question for Keith or others
November 04, 2016 11:58AM
Keith

In a couple previous threads you have mentioned considering a 13" aftermarket coil for the 705. I was wondering if you ever did try one out and what the outcome was.

The reason I ask, is that I have started re-hunting an old fairgrounds where Rick and I made some some great silver coin finds after it was regraded and turned into sports fields years ago. The problem is that now everything left is deep. Because the soil structure holds a lot of moisture they had to build up a crown in the middle of the soccer fields for better drainage. This puts the depth of the original top soil at 12"+. I'm getting a good 10" on pennies but with a very weak audio response using the 10.5 DD MF coil. TID is iffy but "good enough" due to the fairly mild soil.

As with other detectors equipped with larger aftermarket coils can I assume that going to say a 13"er will add some depth, but more importantly, improve the audio response in that depth range?

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: 705 question for Keith or others
November 04, 2016 05:17PM
The new Minelab 15" 3kHz Coil is fantastic for deep silver.
Runs quieter and deeper than my 17" coil on my CTX in mineralized soil.
It's the Coiltek WOT branded for Minelab but $100 cheaper.
Bryan
November 05, 2016 12:14AM
never used a 13" on the 705..as big as I've ever used was the 10.5 factory..and then in 7.5khz..and that's way DEEEEEEEP..

with the ultimates 13 proven track record of retaining sensitivity to coin sized objects I can only surmise a NEL of same size may gain you another 1 or 2 in the soil..

it's hard to beat the 7.5Khz 10.5 DD for depth though..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 05, 2016 09:58AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new Minelab 15" 3kHz Coil is fantastic for
> deep silver.
> Runs quieter and deeper than my 17" coil on my CTX
> in mineralized soil.
> It's the Coiltek WOT branded for Minelab but $100
> cheaper.
> Bryan

Bryan

I'm afraid a 15" coil would be too big for this site due to the amount of iron in the ground and the weight is also a concern for me.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> never used a 13" on the 705..as big as I've ever
> used was the 10.5 factory..and then in 7.5khz..and
> that's way DEEEEEEEP..
>
> with the ultimates 13 proven track record of
> retaining sensitivity to coin sized objects I can
> only surmise a NEL of same size may gain you
> another 1 or 2 in the soil..
>
> it's hard to beat the 7.5Khz 10.5 DD for depth
> though..
>
> Keith

Keith

Yes the 10.5 is deep. There are now several options out there in the 13" size range for the X-Terra series both single and multi-freq selectable from a couple aftermarket suppliers. I'll probably go with a single freq model such as the Cors Strike or Mars 13" Discovery.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2016 10:05AM by Jackpine.