Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Experienced opinions wanted concerning Nokta Fors Relic

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Experienced opinions wanted concerning Nokta Fors Relic
November 21, 2016 07:15PM
I have been using the same Deus for over a year now.(a record for me) During the last detecting season, I was able to fill three cases with CW bullets, buttons, and other sundry items. I was always a fan of the Fisher F-19 and found a lot of stuff with it. The Nokta Fors Relic has been described to me, by someone whom I trust VERY much....Keith Southern, as being like an F-19 on steroids. I like hi frequency machines. It just grieves the heart that there is only one place to buy one and they simply sell it for the listed price.....they won't work with ya. For you Civil War reic hunters that use one, are you impressed with extra depth? Will I be gaining anything over my Deus? It's a matter of not IF I buy a new unit......it's a matter of what kind.
I am fairly interested in the Racer 2 at the moment as I have used a Racer 1 with good results and good depth on bullets in hunted out camps. But I'll ask opinions on the Racer 2 in another thread so as not to confuse the issue (which I am good at...lol) Happy Thanksgiving kevin
Re: Experienced opinions wanted concerning Nokta Fors Relic
November 21, 2016 08:05PM
There's other places (in the U.S.) besides Kellyco that you can buy a FORS Relic.-----I'm not going to "name names" on dealers because Tom might not like it on this site.-----But---do a search & you will get that info.-----Your "behind the times" Kevin.smiling smileyKevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been using the same Deus for over a year
> now.(a record for me) During the last detecting
> season, I was able to fill three cases with CW
> bullets, buttons, and other sundry items. I was
> always a fan of the Fisher F-19 and found a lot of
> stuff with it. The Nokta Fors Relic has been
> described to me, by someone whom I trust VERY
> much....Keith Southern, as being like an F-19 on
> steroids. I like hi frequency machines. It just
> grieves the heart that there is only one place to
> buy one and they simply sell it for the listed
> price.....they won't work with ya. For you Civil
> War reic hunters that use one, are you impressed
> with extra depth? Will I be gaining anything over
> my Deus? It's a matter of not IF I buy a new
> unit......it's a matter of what kind.
> I am fairly interested in the Racer 2 at the
> moment as I have used a Racer 1 with good results
> and good depth on bullets in hunted out camps.
> But I'll ask opinions on the Racer 2 in another
> thread so as not to confuse the issue (which I am
> good at...lol) Happy Thanksgiving kevin
November 21, 2016 08:22PM
I found a Sporting Goods store in the Midwest who sells them but they didn't appear to be equipped with an 'order online' type of deal. I appreciate your reply and wish you Happy Thanksgiving. kevin
November 21, 2016 11:18PM
Kevin-----Sending you a P.M.-------------Del
November 22, 2016 01:43AM
Racer-1 = Deeper
Racer-2 - More intelligent
November 22, 2016 02:18AM
Good talking to day Kevin!!!

Thanks for giving me your number AGAIN!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 22, 2016 03:48AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Racer-1 = Deeper
> Racer-2 - More intelligent

Is that just in your no mineralized soil?
November 22, 2016 10:11AM
I live here in southwest colorado in some of the most unforgiving soil. It regularly GB in the upper 80s to lower 90s. Alkali patches bleed up through the soil leaving areas where one can throw a coin down on top of it and not be detected by vlf detectors. My ctx and cz 6a handle this soil the best but the deus and Fors relic do the best for me out of all the machines I have tried including the racer 2. The Fors Relic also handles EMI very well. I have some coins buried in my yard near my lan and power lines that send my f 75 dst into fits but the fors relic stays very stable. I never got to try the face 2 in milder soil but in my soil the fors relic was far superior.
November 22, 2016 03:52PM
Detectorist..... yes. Medium mineralization, low mineralization and zero/trace mineralization. Said a little differently...... 3-bar (or less) dirt.

I have not tested/compared the Racer-1 to Racer-2 in 5-bar high mineralization....... so this answer is 'unknown'.
November 22, 2016 04:37PM
Kevin, I used to use the 19 kHz Teknetics G2 (same as the Fisher Gold Bug Pro) and it was OK, but lacked depth and performance on higher-conductive targets. I had better all-around success using the ± 14 kHz White's MXT Pro/All-Pro. I also did better with the T2 'Classic' with the 5" DD coil, but wished for a mid-range coil size. I bought two of the Fisher F19's as soon as they came out. I will say they were 'improved' over the G2, and I liked them with the 5X10 and round 5" DD coils, but while they were better, they still fell a little short of performance for me in several sites I hunted.

The along came the Nokta FORS CoRe at 15 kHz and Racer at 14 kHz, and using their smaller 'OOR' DD coil and 5½X10 DD coils, they matched or bettered the performance I was getting from my F19's or T2 Classic's or MXT All-Pro so I parted with those, keeping the CoRe and Racer in my primary-use arsenal. Last December I started working with the 19 kHz FORS Gold + and was very impressed with how well it performed against the F19 and T2 Classic and an F75 I had. In January of this year I worked on the evaluation of a Racer 2 and soon-to-be FORS Relic and, immediately, I was making some changes in my 'favorites' in my personal detector arsenal.

The 14 kHz Racer 2 easily outclassed the original Racer for me because I mainly Relic Hunt and the added features and TID changes were in it's favor. It works very well for Relic Hunting as well as Coin Hunting. However, my FORS CoRe remains a solid, always-carry model in my arsenal because that 15 kHz model remains one of my all-time favorite detectors and provides very good depth-of-detection in locations where it is achievable.

That said, while I started out mainly Coin Hunting in early 1965, my primary interests shifted to Relic Hunting after I started hitting ghost towns and other abandoned and very iron littered sites in May of '69. Because I hunt in very trashy places with brush, building rubble, a lot of discarded nails and other ferrous metal debris, I have been very selective o the makes and models that I keep in my vehicle or my overall detector arsenal, and they have to do exceedingly well working in trash, balancing well and being comfortable, have a functional search coil selection, and ... be above the norm when it comes to un masking good targets in nasty iron junk.

The FORS Relic captured that #1 spot for me last January and I haven't found any other detector to bump it out of that ranking. I have three Relic models, each with their own search coil mounted so I can just grab the Relic & coil of choice for any site I want to hunt. It is my #1 detector, but very, very close behind it are my FORS CoRe and Racer 2, in that order. If I am at a site where I fee3l a desired target might be located reasonably deep, and there is little masking trash nearby, and I can use a standard-size 7X11 DD search coil, then the selection can get interesting.

Both the 14 kHz Racer 2 and 19 kHz FORS Relic have an additional 'Deep' mode that has a slower function time and calls for a little slower sweep speed, but does enhance their depth a little when useable. Of them the Relic w/7X11 DD is my 2nd choice for 'depth,' ... but the Racer 2 is just barely falling to a 3rd choice for deep of detection. From the hunting I have done where I am able to luck onto a few deeper finds, the 15 kHz FORS CoRe just edges them out a little and takes 1st place. That's if all of them are using their 2-Tone search mode, and the CoRe can rival the higher frequency relic in 'Deep' mode in many conditions.

Now, I am not hunting in neutral ground, or mild dirt like I have searched in Texas, Oklahoma and other mid-western states. I live in far Eastern Oregon, hunt gold mining ghost towns in very mineralized sites, and most of the places I have searched 'Out West' for several decades in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah and Wyoming have been in some very challenging ground. So, like Welgund in Colorado, I favor the Relic as my best all-purpose detector in bad ground as I have fewer EMI problems, it handles bad ground quite well, and its ability to deal with high iron contaminated sites is about the best you can imagine.

Very close on its heals are the CoRe and Racer 2, which is why these three detectors, the Relic, CoRe and Racer 2, are my favorite visual Target ID and audio Tone ID detectors today and all of them travel on my back seat when I set off on any detecting jaunt.

Monte
November 22, 2016 07:23PM
I very much appreciate everyone's feedback. It will give me much food for thought. This is one reason why this Forum remains my number one metal detecting Forum. Because of y'all guys and your willingness to be helpful. I SINCERELY wish that y'all have an AWESOME Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for you guys. kevin