Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Really off day with my CZ-70

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Really off day with my CZ-70
April 18, 2011 06:28PM
I haven't had my CZ-70 out for a hunt in a while, and yesterday I had a chance to take it to a spot that needed Explorer like silver seeking power for those elusive deep silvers.

I did a bunch of signal comparisons with my buddy who was swinging his trusty old Explorer 2. I've always had good luck with the CZ, I've got silver dimes at 8" with it many times, but yesterday it just wasn't running right. I'm not sure why. He would hear 7" deep wheaties that sounded pretty good on his Explorer (not a four star signal though, because when I checked, they sounded terrible on the CZ (iron to relic bouncer, or tab to iron bouncer for instance). I had my sensitivity set on either 4 or 6 (didn't make any difference), nothing notched, and did several manual ground balances. You ever have an off day with the CZ, where it just doesn't seem like it's running right? I suspect that the Explorer was causing too much interference with the CZ?

Luckily I spotted a nice scrape on the way to meet my friends - two blocks of road and sidewalk from a part of town that still has 1800's buildings facing the scrape smiling smiley I took my hunting buddies to it at the end of the day, and I managed to eek out a seated dime (albeit with a different machine).

HH,
Brian
Re: Really off day with my CZ-70 Mine was CZ3
April 18, 2011 08:20PM
I had a really off day with my 1021 CZ3d but it was mine own fault. I had purchased the detector and it arrived with batteries already installed. I checked them last fall, put it up for the winter and then went out last week. It fired right up, tested fine but was pretty worthless. I had never had a CZ act like this one was acting and I was beginning to suspect I had purchased a lemon. Suddenly, it dawned on me to check the batteries. What had been good had now gone very bad. I opened it up and found mis-matched 9 volts and suspect one was probably decent voltage and one was pretty much shot. It didn't take long for them both to show bad. New batteries installed and it was a new machine. My bad, for wasting two or three hours in a decent location. I almost bet your problem was ML related. They can really mess you up and not make any noise while doing it. Next time make him shut down when you check signals. I hope it bounces back for you.

Don
HH
Re: Really off day with my CZ-70
April 18, 2011 09:14PM
So how close were the two of you when you were alternately checking targets? Since you didn't say otherwise, I'm assuming the II wasn't shut off when you were cross checking with your CZ? Rule #1 in multi-detector same target checks........only one detector on at a time.
April 18, 2011 11:45PM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So how close were the two of you when you were
> alternately checking targets? Since you didn't say
> otherwise, I'm assuming the II wasn't shut off
> when you were cross checking with your CZ? Rule #1
> in multi-detector same target checks........only
> one detector on at a time.

We were close, and I'm sure that ML interference was probably part of the problem, but even when were were farther apart something just seemed off on the CZ.

My friend kept telling me how terrible the CZ was in iron, and I debunked his notion of that. Several of the targets he asked me to check I told him were junk, I was getting mainly iron grunts with some iron falses to coin, but he thought I was nuts. Finally after he dug several chunks of old rusted bolts/spikes/etc, I think he had more confidence in the CZ then I did - lol

On the other hand he found several keepers that sounded bad on the CZ, weird.
April 19, 2011 11:11PM
Just remember Explorers have a multiple frequency setup and would bet interferred with your CZ's performance.. Explorers have a feature than when he sets up it compensates for conditions and the present condition was your CZ turned on so would imagine he had little or no problems from your CZ..I would bet he knew that and sort of took advantage.
Tough to compare a CZ and Explorer at best..
CZ is a user friendly depth demon in a fairly heavy exterior but can be hipmounted.
Explorer is a depth demon with probably the best guts of any on the market however its in a extremely heavy, has a long learning period for most.
In addendum many excell with either for deep silver and each have their followers..
Both like iron but experienced operator of either have their ways to cut down the odds and iron digs will be minimal.
Not something I read in a book as have used every CZ model made and 3 models of the Explorer and have done well with either in years past..
Cal, you still running the at pro?
April 20, 2011 12:49AM
Just wondering how you are doing with it.
Re: Cal, you still running the at pro?
April 20, 2011 08:38PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering how you are doing with it.

Yep still running the AT Pro. I wish I had taken the AT with my last weekend it was the perfect opportunity to test it against the Explorers, and in a variety of hunting conditions (EMI ladden park, old parks and a sidewalk tearout demo laden with iron and OLD coins). I suspect it would've run a lot more stable then the CZ and F75 LTD that day.