Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

It’s hot!

Posted by Gannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
It’s hot!
July 01, 2018 03:17AM
My wifey asked “Why haven’t you been metal detecting?” It’s to freaking hot!

I hunted in the fall winter spring almost every chance I got...In the south... you guys know the pain.
By 10:00 AM it’s sweltering. And normally hard packed red clay is no fun digging in!

I know it seems like I’m wining.. maybe I am.. lol

Anyone else not hunt as much in the searing heat?

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: It’s hot!
July 01, 2018 04:48AM
You don't know what hot is until you've visited the 9 ring of hell....aka South Florida Summer.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 01, 2018 06:14AM
Water hunting time of year. The woods are full of bad plants and bad insects. No targets are worth that. Lawns turn dry and plugs look like crap. Bad for the hobby.
July 01, 2018 10:48AM
I hunt early mornings, although I've shaved some time off the length of my outings, every day still, for about 3-3 1/2 hours. Fortunately, my buddy and I know of a couple of demo'ed housing sub divisions that are maintained by the city and not used for anything else. Consequently, digging is not a problem and again, fortunately, there are numerous trees around to afford us shade a good bit of our hunting time. Non the less, 100 + heat indexes are quite un-comfortable. HH jim tn
July 01, 2018 12:41PM
Jessie Ventura as Cooper in Predator addressed this:" Bunch of slack jawed -------."

Just kidding,just kidding!!!!! Hottest June that I can remember.
July 01, 2018 01:01PM
The last week of June put my town literally underwater. 7 days rain official total for my town was 7.56". 2.5 inches of that fell Thursday morning in about 2 hours. Caused flash flooding where the ground was saturated. That was the official TVA rain gauge totals...my rain gauge had 3.25 inches Thurs morning. My goats are in a 2 acre field...I have the fence built with 6' T posts and 16' panels. The posts are approx 1 foot in the ground. Anyway, we have a spring that runs thru the field and into a large creek. The creek got up, and backed up the spring...my goat field had so much water in it that most of my fence post tops were underwater in the low end of the field. Within about 6 hours it was all gone. Now the heat is gonna set in, and just make it miserable to be outside.
July 01, 2018 04:35PM
I plant watermelons in my garden every year. They like hot weather. If it's a cool summer, I dig lots of silver but don't get many watermelons. If it's a hot summer, as it has been so far this year, I don't get to do much detecting, but, get the consolation of more watermelons.
July 01, 2018 05:19PM
Holiday weekend here in Canada, everyone is at the beach for the 3 days. Unfortunately they don't leave until dark and its a two hour drive away, for me. Then theres no parking until 6am think it was. $150 fine and they do patrol. Beach cleaner is at work by 6am.
Lots of local hunters will be out in force when they can. In general schoolyards and parks, the ground is dry and hard, cut a plug, might as well face it the grass in that plug will die around here. Yup too dang hot, uncommon heat wave, with humidy at 61%, feels like 104F. At least there is a 14mph breeze.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 01, 2018 10:03PM
Cool thread...PUN intended!!

Yeah its hot!!

Down here in Georgia 90s temp's and 70-80 percent humidity...sauna!

Sweat all day long.!!

I do some of my best hunting in the summer though as the woods are empty of deer hunters..and there's lot's of construction in the summer too!!!

What I do is drink alot of water..Drink by the gallon if I can out of a milk jug.

Usually hunt from say 5P.M. till way after dark sometimes if I'm finding stuff..Still can get in 25 hours week..

When I do hunt in mid day I wear a big hat..boots and shorts and use a camel pack if I'm far away from vehicle..

hard to say what's worse though...open field Sun beating down or deep in the piney woods were the air doesn't move..Sort of a toss up...But I do love the smell of of the woods in the summer..that hot pinestraw has a unique aroma that makes me happy!!Sort of a calming effect..Aroma therapy..LOL

Don't use air conditioning in the truck either.(My wife hates that).that just makes things worse for you.Gets your body spoiled to being cool..I stay outside alot anyways..Even Watch T.V on the porch for down times..LOL.. just love to be outside instead of being inside..Nothing to me more depressing than being inside when the sun is out..

Basically like anything use common sense to avoid heat exhaustion ..And it's good to be adapted to heat ..Sort of like landscapers who work outside all day then hire a guy on the crew whos been working inside jobs ...He will have a hard time getting into the groove..

The worst place I can think of to have to hunt after being there is out in the desert in summer...No humidity and sweltering temps..I cant gauge my water loss on sweating.Could lead to some severe problems quick!

Another place that can fool you is a open beach when its hot..that wind blowing off the sea drying my sweat and all the water around gets me into a false perception of Im O.K.But you still have to keep pouring water down the throat or you'll get into trouble.I like to hunt beaches at night mostly though!

O yeah the more weight you carry the more you sweat...at 190 I barely sweat compared to say when I'm 225 And when lighter I require less fluids..Plus my energy levels stay higher longer.My weight can fluctuate from summer to winter buy 30-40 pounds. the Long summer season of the south burns fuel way faster and the heat curbs the appetite somewhat..

Cold weather is the thing I cant stand...That plain stinks...I loose all concentration efforts when it gets really cold..and cant stand being bound up in clothing layers..Glad I don't live up North

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 01, 2018 10:44PM
One of my first jobs was at a ice cream factory. I worked in the cold room. They kept it 20 degrees in the truck loading area and -20 in the storage areas. I was in the storage and packing area. After a while you sort of adapt to the cold and get to where you can't even work in it with a coat on. Most of us wore a thin long sleeved shirt and thin gloves and stayed comfortable. Some just wore t shirts. I think it did something to me because ever since then, I can't stand the heat. I keep my house on 65 degrees yr round. I had to be carted off the archery range a year or two ago due to heat exhaustion....throwing up, cramping....went from sweating like crazy to not sweating and chilling. That was with me thinking I was staying on top of things with fluids. I hate summer and everything about it. I'm happy with the cold. Can always put more on but can only take so much off.
July 01, 2018 11:23PM
[www.bertsperling.com]

Some gee whiz here for folks living in eastern USA who may one day visit the desert areas of the western USA.
It is true it can be a dry heat.
Exceptions to this are in the monsoon season, which is currently underway (that time of year), You will sweat durin this time of year there.
Also note, very common for folks not use to the lower humidity <10 % with the higher temps to experience nose bleed.
A person not acclimated will experience these nose bleeds for a duration due to their nasal passages drying.
It happened to me a couple times.
A couple weeks exposure will go a long ways toward your acclimation to the climate in the area.
They call it Death Valley for a reason. Be mindful.
Yuma and Lake Havaau are the real hot spots.
[www.usclimatedata.com]

Just remember one thing.
Your body CANNOT keep up with proper hydration when taking orally. Drinking proper/qty of fluids will only extend your stay in hot/humid environment.
Trying to do extending exposure back to back days not a good idea either.
Your body needs time to rehydrate/heal and acclimate.
Even an IV stuck in a person in a situation where it is extremely hot won't keep up all the way, but will do the best.
Also remember excessive heat means high pressure, which means sinking air. Which means especially around metropolises where pollution is higher, this sinking air (cap) wil, trap the pollutants hence O2 levels are generally somewhat lower. Which means this puts a strain on even a healthier/younger persons respiratory system to supply oxygen to the brain, etc. folks with breathing diseases like asthma should be especially careful.

You get dizzy or lightheaded- take note and action quick.
Buds should be looking out for buds too.
Stumbling or loosing balance other clues to to heat exhaustion or stroke.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 11:58PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 02, 2018 12:30PM
Yep it really stinks. I mowed my lawn at 7am today and still was soaking wet after 10 mins. I either hunt early morns or water hunt. Only low tide hunting until the temp changes for me. The cool thing about water hunting though is that I can go anytime, like even 1pm, during the week as the water/beach isn't over crowded then, and I avoid the heat by being in the ocean...now if I could only avoid the sharks!

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 12:44PM by adamBomb.
July 02, 2018 12:39PM
Want some heat and humidity combo - try Abu Dhabi in the summer, here’s a screenshot from near midnight in August 2015 I looked out of my window and it was foggy - real quick opened my weather app - ouch! - check out the “feels like” number.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 12:43PM by lytle78.