Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Air tests

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Air tests
April 20, 2011 02:43PM
Just got curious about something.----I believe (one of) Toms specs for the CZ-3D is for an air test of 11 1/8" on a dime (with the 8" stock coil).---Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.-------My question--what other detectors w/stock coils will AIR TEST a dime at 11"?----------Del
Re: Air tests
April 20, 2011 03:34PM
Air tests are ballpark at best and in the ground is where it counts so find an old planted air test area(some dealers and ardent detectorists have them) Have to admit a CZ air tests as well as any and argueably may be coil size for coil size as deep as any(not trying to start a shooting match) as Explorers Minelabs and several other air test poorly but do go deep in the field. By the way a Troy X-5 will air test a dime at 14-15 inches...and Nautilus units excel in depth down south and also the discontinued 1266 gave great depth also along with its remake the 1270. Not an F series fan but many learned F series users go deep also.The old Wilson R&C 4 with a 7 inch coil did well also so all in all many deep units out there but rememember depth is only one aspect in the hobby to be considered...
April 20, 2011 11:05PM
CZ (in proper state-of-tune) should be around 12" in an air-test.......with stock 8" coil.
April 21, 2011 01:57AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got curious about something.----I believe
> (one of) Toms specs for the CZ-3D is for an air
> test of 11 1/8" on a dime (with the 8" stock
> coil).---Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on
> this.-------My question--what other detectors
> w/stock coils will AIR TEST a dime at
> 11"?----------Del

I'm sure that there are many detectors that will get close to or match 11" or 12" on a dime with a stock coil.
There are more important questions regarding whether they do it well or not.

Air tests differ from one detector model to another and is not necessarily a true accurate indication of overall performance.
Like Dan was saying, ML's don't air test worth a damned but they will go deep when you're in the field.
I think I get where you are headed with your inquiry. Using air test measurements as a benchmark is only part of the equation regarding a detectors performance.

Its only valid if the detector is "known" to air test well, at a known measurement with a specific target and at the same time detect that same target in the field at a known depth or more preferably the known depth limit for said target. We then use the average as benchmark datum for comparable analysis against performance measurements on an individual detector with this benchmark used as the constant BUT, its actually a variable. Confused yet?

While air testing, your findings may vary due to the varying amount of EMI within your test environment. Your results from Tues morning's test may or may not verify or confirm your test results from Fri night. This is an absolute consideration while attempting to ascertain accuracy for your results. When field testing the same unit, the challenge gets even more dramatic, more confusing and more complicated with a plethora of variables that can cause your air tests to be less important, comparably inaccurate or even useless .

Tom has many answers to this confounding and complex issue of testing.
You might want to read Tom's article "Head to Head Comparison Testing" its extremely enlightening and helpful.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

I'll trade off "depth" for "usable depth" any day of the week.
Without stability at depth, accurate target i.d., satisfactory target separation and the ability to unmask targets, having extreme depth is like having
no tires on your top fuel dragster.

Damn I love my CZ3D,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 09:55PM by Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant.
April 21, 2011 04:44AM
Thanks guys---going to do some more reading, studying & testing (when I can).-------Del
D&P-OR ....... Re: Air tests
April 21, 2011 06:15AM
"going to do some more reading, studying & testing"...........D&P-OR, there will be a test afterwards. Administered by Tom D. So no goofing off.smiling smiley
Re: D&P-OR ....... Re: Air tests
April 21, 2011 07:27AM
ha ha ha YES SIR!!!!----If I can pass Toms test I've got it made!!
Re: D&P-OR ....... Re: Air tests
April 21, 2011 12:05PM
There will be a silver lining (of your cash/trash pouch)......if you pass the test.
Make sure you study..
April 21, 2011 12:29PM
Have a urine test coming up and don't want to flunk...Seriously many variables come into play..ability of the operator, mineralization or EMI in your neck of the woods to name a few and Grant covered it quite well I might add.
Again no perfect detector or no perfect detectorists and we are not playing on an even field so perhaps for all purposes an air test is where its at as in every State and across the waters its a different ballgame and we all have our favorites or for that matter personal preferences in a detector..
dgc
April 21, 2011 11:27PM
Not to mention the air test variable of target swing speed. Some air test limits are established with hands that are a blur they are moving so fast. Very unrealistic in terms of actual coil swing speeds in the field.