Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting in the snow

Posted by BIG PAPA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting in the snow
January 29, 2017 03:39PM
Who all doesn't have the patience to wait for spring? I can't wait anymore! How does snow detecting effect the operation of the detector? I know I will lose depth, but what else have you all found to be effected by snow? I only have about 3 inches right now
Re: Detecting in the snow
January 29, 2017 04:00PM
I live in Mich. and hunt snow on occasion!

Depending on how cold it is outside while you're out there and which machine/s you use you may encounter issues with the machine/s not functioning properly. A lot of machines don't like to fully function under 45 degrees or so. Issues can be anything from a lot of falsing to blank screens/going black after a few minutes or flashing on/off to loss of menu selection and more. Older (non digital) machines with no screen are usually the best bet to use in snow and cold temps that support snow. This isn't to say that all digital machines will fail to function and/or that you can't use some of them in those conditions but if you have an older analog to take along with you just in case you find your new/er digital fails after 20/30 mins out in the field = you'd be doing yourself a fav and saving yourself from a possible wasted trip!

PS

as a tip = if you do go hunting in those type of conditions/temps = I'd suggest not bringing the machine back into the nice warm house immediately afterwards. You'll want to transition it/let it warm slowly so that it doesn't go from cold to hot instantly and cause condensation inside the control housing which can cause major problems. If you're hunting 20/30 minutes from the house and you use it outside for say an hr or 2 and then stick it in the car with you so that it warms as the cars warms on your way back home = condensation won't happen and then you can take it into the house immed. BUT if you're hunting in your own backyard/around the area and take it from the cold after an hr or 2 immed. into the house = that's a no no thumbs up
January 29, 2017 09:29PM
Hunting sledding hills can be fun....expect some loose clad and perhaps a ring from gloves off and on......don't know the particulars relative how it will affect your unit.
Sandscoop will suffice to recover targets....
January 31, 2017 01:07AM
If I hunted in snow,,,I would opt for smaller old site loaded with iron and nails.
Take a snow shove and clean of a portion,,,and rock and roll.
January 31, 2017 02:13PM
I hunted in snow quite a few times with G2 with Ultimate coil. temps were usually low 30s, but once was high 20s....had to go, you know.

I just cleared a patch, ground balanced, and whenever I got a target, just cleared the snow, rechecked, and dug. It does get sloppy, because the frozen ground turns to mud. I always wear a kneepad on my right knee anyways, but that also keeps it from getting too cold when digging.

The cold makes the batteries appear to drain, but when you use it the next time at a bit warmer temps, they are usually back where they started. That affects my F75 as well.