Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does Garrett's 'ScanTrack' work?

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does Garrett's 'ScanTrack' work?
January 31, 2017 03:59PM
My only experience with Garrett detectors has been a ACE-250 and a couple of ATPros.

I've always been curious about the GTI series......

Did the ScanTrack feature work?

From the manual: Microprocessor-controlled DSP circuitry of the GTI 2500, unlike that of ordinary detectors, however, adapts automatically to the speed of any movement. This means that your searches will have the same high degree of accuracy whether you are scanning rapidly to cover a large area quickly or moving slowly over a location with multiple targets. Automatic circuitry is designed to provide precise ground balance at any speed.

I have wondered what kind of aid could be produced to help an operator know when his sweep speed was correct. Or remove the need altogether with something like a Scantrack or auto filter selection based on sweep speed or somthing.

HH
Mike
Re: Does Garrett's 'ScanTrack' work?
January 31, 2017 05:11PM

your searches will have the same high degree of accuracy

What the heck does that mean?

Edit: I presume Mike means does it work in fast changing ground conditions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 05:13PM by Jackpine.
January 31, 2017 06:15PM
Gotta say, a few years ago, I wondered if adjusting the behaviour of the electronics in response to sweep speed variation would be worth doing. But then ML brought out the CTX3030, which has an accellerometer in the coil. This allows the machine to display the position of targets correctly on the screen, as it knows whether you were sweeping left or right. But it's quite possible it adjusts the filtering on-the-fly, too, compensating for irregular sweeps, slow sweep-speed at the ends of the swing, etc. Maybe the gains are too small? It's probably simpler to learn how to sweep smoothly and consistently, than have the machine try to make up for your lack of finesse.
Here's the circuitry inside the CTX coil (thank you Russian detectorists):
[savepic.ru]
The black rectangular doohickey labelled U102 is the acellerometer? / gyroscope? not sure which.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 09:48PM by Pimento.
January 31, 2017 07:22PM
A unique Garrett feature that automatically adjusts to the operator’s scan speed to achieve optimum performance, This is what is written in the Garrett Catelog for definition on the GTI 2500.

They have a nice looking Catelog.

HH
Mike