Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got a Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphone coming!

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got a Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphone coming!
January 27, 2017 09:57AM
Claims to work on non-Garrett detectors. Will post my findings.
Re: Got a Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphone coming!
January 27, 2017 03:02PM
"I can qualify that Statement, yes it does...works on my E Trac & Ace 400i"
January 27, 2017 03:18PM
Looks like several companies are getting into this wireless module thing now. Minelab brought a similar device out, and of course there is the Deteknix models too. The Deteknix was very surprising to me; my buddy has that for his machines and they work great on all of his; he has probably 20 machines right now.
January 27, 2017 03:49PM
'While all these wireless set-ups are welcomed, I'd much prefer if the detector companies spent their time developing NEW detectors!

Jeez...we've been waiting long enough for the BIG 5 to bring us something NEW!!!

New Garrett
New Minelab
New White's
New Fisher
New Tesoro

"COME ON>>>give us something>>>please!!!"
January 27, 2017 07:24PM
Very soon next to last on the list! But will it be "New" !
January 27, 2017 08:26PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very soon next to last on the list! But will it be
> "New" !

So it has been "seen"?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 27, 2017 10:24PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> woodchiphustler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Very soon next to last on the list! But will it
> be
> > "New" !
>
> So it has been "seen"?
Only envisioned! But I was on a carb rush at the time!
January 27, 2017 10:45PM
Des D Wrote:
> "I can qualify that Statement, yes it does...works
> on my E Trac & Ace 400i"

hey Des, looks like you got a test unit as I don't think they are out officially yet.

can you provide some more of your findings with it? @ 17ms delay (as stated) there should be absolutely no preceptible delay, correct?

audio quality? how well does the volume control work?

is there a clip or belt attachment on the receiver?

thanks
January 28, 2017 12:27AM
You can purchase them on Flea Bay. The Texas boys have limited quantities!
January 28, 2017 01:24AM
Receiver does have a belt clip. At least in FCC filing photos. I still can't get any. sad smiley
January 28, 2017 01:50AM
I finally was able to purchase the wireless headphones for my Racer2.

I like that their totally wireless, not a wireless box you plug you cord into. Not really my idea of wireless.
January 28, 2017 01:22PM
All made in China and rebadged ...Good luck Mr trump
January 28, 2017 01:35PM
Maybe so but Garrett stands by their products!
January 28, 2017 01:39PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "I can qualify that Statement, yes it does...wor
> ks
> > on my E Trac & Ace 400i"
>
> hey Des, looks like you got a test unit as I don't
> think they are out officially yet.
>
> can you provide some more of your findings with it
> ? @ 17ms delay (as stated) there should be absolu
> tely no preceptible delay, correct?
>
> audio quality? how well does the volume control w
> ork?
>
> is there a clip or belt attachment on the receiver
> ?
>
> thanks

"Thanks for asking. I'm committed to a magazine article so I can't say very much (without giving away the entire article) but I can expand on what was asked.

The set I received had been tested by another so was paired. The pieces were missing 'stickers'. One piece had been prised open and wasn't seated properly all around the circumference. The set might also be a test set and not a finished production set? I am trying to establish if this is the case. I had thought they were available but it looks as if they will be released in a few days in February?

1. Delay - virtually impossible to observe any delay whatsoever, actually I will change that to 'actually impossible'.
2. Audio quality - depends on (a) the headphone being used (b) the detector being used.

I'll expand on this: Used with Garrett detectors (Ace 250, Ace 400i) and used with the headphones supplied with the 400i, there is an audio difference probably due to the Ace 250 being 'older technology', while the Ace 400i is current technology therefore specifically tuned to suit and also tuned to 'future 'Garrett' units (with a new unit due for release soon, and I don't know anymore about that than the next guy?)

While the audio from the 400i is as PERFECT as you can get, the audio from the 250 can be described as 'explosive', meaning just that...it sounds like an explosion of sound. This can be tamed by reducing the Volume on the WR-1 by just a single button push. Do not reduce any further because the Volume drops off dramatically.

Used on 'non-Garrett' units, the audio AND volume will vary quite a lot depending on which detector AND headphone/s you use with that detector. Used with an E Trac there is a 'secondary' audio sound that can only be described as a 'knock on wood' sound in tandem with the target's audio signal. This 'knock' sound can be banished with 3 Volume down presses on the WR-1. It can also be dispensed with by lowering the Volume Limit Menu inside the E Trac's Audio Menu to 15 while leaving the Volume on the WR-1 at full.

The 'Z-Lynk' enhanced the 'stereo audio' on an X-Terra 705 - with headphones alone (Troy Pro) the Left ear cup had diminished audio volume but paired with the wireless system it restored the absent portion of the audio so equated volume in both ear cups was the same.

Used with a set of "Sennheisser HD-238", the volume was very low. (these are for my iPhone and I would have to clarify by saying I wouldn't generally use them with a detector but, how will more expensive headphones sound?)

3. Yes, there is a spring clip on the WR-1 to fit onto a belt etc. (I had my WR-1 in a top pocket of my jacket)

To sum up, I believe everyone will have a different story to tell depending on which detector and headsets are used"

Des D

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 08:05PM by Des D.
January 28, 2017 10:11PM
Mine is charging and ready to hit the field tomorrow using the Rutus Alter and the AKA Sorex Pro!
January 28, 2017 10:35PM
Des D Wrote:
> 'While all these wireless set-ups are welcomed, I'
> d much prefer if the detector companies spent thei
> r time developing NEW detectors!
>
> Jeez...we've been waiting long enough for the BIG
> 5 to bring us something NEW!!!
>
> New Garrett
> New Minelab
> New White's
> New Fisher
> New Tesoro
>

So So true Des
> "COME ON>>>give us something>>>please!!!"
January 28, 2017 11:00PM
thanks Des, I'm a big Sennheiser fan (I have several different models) as I use them for home audio (hi-end) and computers, ipads,etc.

so a disappointment there! sounds like an impedance mismatch of some sort.

looking forward to your report woodchip.....

and Des, you are correct, we're all have differing reports depending on what equipment we use...

cheers
January 29, 2017 11:47AM
Canslawhero,

"One day my brother came home from the recording studio and gave me a headphone with brite yellow cushions and a wire as skinny as a piece of string and said, "I got you a decent headphone to use with your metal detector!"
You know what? I could tell trash from treasure with these and they were absolutely fantastic soundwise. That was back in 1979 and the detector was a Garrett Groundhog!!

But, even today they are a great headphone but the thin cables just don't hold up in the great outdoors...I had a set of expensive phones get ripped off my head as I walked under a tree and the cable got pulled out.
So nowadays, I use the stronger 'curly cord' phones"
January 29, 2017 08:53PM
First let me say they work, compact, well made. 1. Rutus Alter using Koss TD80 phones. All metal smooth sound, non-ferrous very digital.
2. Sorex Pro no issues ! No signal lag!
February 02, 2017 01:02AM
These work fantastic on x-terra, makro, and first texas detectors. Etrac is very slighty distorted but better sounding than others I've used. I think some detectors, depending on mono/stereo/volume contol/headphones, will have some settings sounding better than others. At 30hrs battery life I'm not sure other brands can compete. We will have to see on Minelab. Oh, they are also labelled made in usa.