Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

9 volt battery for the CZ

Posted by EPL II 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
9 volt battery for the CZ
March 02, 2017 12:31AM
Could I use a slightly higher voltage 9 volt battery (9.6 volt powerex)in the Fisher CZ (I have a 6a on the way) or would this be a quick way to toast it? If you don't recommend this, what would be a good quality rechargeable battery to purchase?

[www.mahaenergy.com]
Re: 9 volt battery for the CZ
March 02, 2017 01:32AM
I've used HITECH 9V Lithium-ion rechargeables and AN-MANN MaxE 300 NiMH 9v in the Fisher CZ-21, and the PowerEX 9V NiMH too. They all worked just fine. Detectors use voltage regulators to feed a constant voltage - can't hurt it.

-Johnnyanglo
March 02, 2017 07:40AM
I can't see the voltage causing any problems, though it won't give any benefits, either. I personally would choose a battery with higher capacity and a more modest voltage, in order to get long run-times. The Ansmann ones mentioned previously are an example of what capacity is available now. Of course, you may not need the best capacity, if you're only doing modest hunts, and are able to recharge them easily.
March 02, 2017 09:59AM
Question for you guys on chargers. I have an older Radio Shack Universal charger that shows a 23ma charging current for 9V (8 hours to recharge a 130Mah battery). Is this standard or are there better chargers out there.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 02, 2017 11:30AM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for you guys on chargers. I have an olde
> r Radio Shack Universal charger that shows a 23ma
> charging current for 9V (8 hours to recharge a 130
> Mah battery). Is this standard or are there bette
> r chargers out there.
>
> Tom

Tom,
There are dozens of better choices...most would take about one fourth the time to charge, as that RS unit.
Put that old wood burning charger out to pasture, and try something like this Opus model: winking smiley
(Handles the 3 main 9v voltage specs...NiMH NiCd 7.2V 8.4V 9.6V...but NOT Li-Ion.)

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 11:41AM by Mike in CO.
March 02, 2017 11:38AM
Thanks Mike,

Wood burner. LOL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 02, 2017 11:41AM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Mike,
>
> Wood burner. LOL

thumbs down
March 02, 2017 01:09PM
Jackpine: Your Radio Shack charger is still just fine. 23 mA will fully charge up a typical modern NiMH (220 - 260 mAh) in 15 hours, which most people would find acceptable.
I would save the 'wood-burner' label for some chargers I have, which were designed for 50 mAh NiCads, and put out about 7 mA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 05:02PM by Pimento.
March 02, 2017 03:08PM
Most 9 volt batteries do not give adequate run time in any unit...A properly running CZ should give good alkaline run time....Remember the less you use the pinpoint gives better battery run time.
March 02, 2017 05:28PM
Pimento

Reading over the manual it does say "average charge rate" Perhaps they are taking tapering off in account?
Only one way to find out and buy some of these new batteries.

Tom