Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox repair announcement from Minelab

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox repair announcement from Minelab
July 15, 2018 01:47PM
In spite of having no actual interest in the link which someone posted here to Minelab’s announcement of esptablishing a repair facility in France, I looked at it anyway.

Buried in it, three paragraphs down was a “gold nugget” which I thought might be of general interest - the kind of information which can get missed with folks just post a bare link without any “curation” Here is a quote from the Minelab announcement at the link. I have reposted the link as well if anyone is interested.

”We have recently received several queries about after warranty support for the Equinox detector and will publish information about how this will be handled. We would like to reassure French Equinox users that fixed cost and affordable repairs will be available for Equinox outside of the warranty period as well as items such as lithium ion battery replacement.”

[www.minelab.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 01:51PM by lytle78.
Re: Equinox repair announcement from Minelab
July 15, 2018 02:08PM
I am glad you found the link I posted helpful.
I read that too, and would have expected many others to as well.

I feel much safer now knowing you proof all my postings. Lol

Goes to show you.
Might be a good idea to read what I post.
You never know, in the end you might come out being more knowledgeable.

Knowledge is power btw.

Funny thing is a lot of times what is learned when reading is not exactly (topic wise) what the reader thought they would learn, but something else. And this something else even more valuable to the reader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:13PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 02:25PM
Glad to hear you read the article you posted a link to. Too bad you didn’t consider the rather significant information on Minelab’s commitment to reasonable out-of-warranty Equinox repairs important enough to point out to the Forum.

Rick Kempf
July 15, 2018 02:29PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad to hear you read the article you posted a lin
> k to. Too bad you didn’t consider the rather signi
> ficant information on Minelab’s commitment to reas
> onable out-of-warranty Equinox repairs important e
> nough to point out to the Forum.

The info has already been mentioned and talked about on detecting forums.
Not new news.

You gotta be keeping up.

This from friendly forum.
treasure_hunter1;2895663
Yes, I was told by ML there will be service after warranties expire. I replied to the posts to correct the incorrect info, not sure if or why RC in England said there want be, I suspect someone misunderstood something that was said.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Now, Minelab has never stated anywhere the Equinox will be treated differently (meaning get good unit back to customer) as far as support after warranty period expires. They intend to support just like all other detectors. A timeframe after detector model is discontinued. And they specify a minimum time in years I believe.

Now, how Minelab decides to repair a faulty unit has come under scrutiny.
As long as they can provide a good unit to a person is all that matters.
Whatever means they choose.
Like changing out the whole control box.

This shouldn't shock anyone, as Makro/Nokta seems do this with units under warranty.

Now, how much will it cost a person to have an out of warranty Nox repaired ?
I don't know.
But Minelab's reputation is on the line here.
They certainly should be repairing units one would think far less than what a new unit (intact) would cost.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:41PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 02:41PM
As far as your statement that this (the Minelab official announcement of it’s commitment to provide reasonable out-or -warranty repairs on Equinox) has been discussed previously and that I missed it and need to”keep up”. How about you send a link to some of that info you saw a Minelab announcement about this on other forums - specifically that Minelab has published the assurance regarding reasonable cost repairs on out-or-warranty machines - published the information under their name, not just a report by some forum member that they heard something from someone at Minelab. If in fact, Minelab has previously published this information and it has been discussed on various forums, then there must be some forums I need to pay more attention to.

In any event, no such information from Minelab has been posted on this forum - the forum you posted the link to the article with that valuable information - without any mention of the importance of the announcement contained in the linked article.

Posting “bald” links is far less informative than posting information and a link where the information was originally given. I know you don’t share my opinion on this matter, but this information about Equinox repairs is a textbook esxample of why I consider “bald” links minimally valuable.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:45PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 02:47PM
If you'll notice the title to the link I posted it was concerning new repair facility in France.
Not- we at Minelab are disclosing our repair future-actions for Nox units.

The info was added to the link by Minelab as for educational purposes for those likely in the France-Euro area.

What I am saying is, your beef should be with Minelab for not applying correct title I guess.
A link/posting can only have one title.
I think they chose the correct one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:49PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 02:56PM
Minelab has now published this statement.

”We have recently received several queries about after warranty support for the Equinox detector and will publish information a?bout how this will be handled. We would like to reassure French Equinox? users that fixed cost and affordable repairs will be available for Equinox outside of the warranty period as well as items such as lithium ion battery replace?ment.”

It is silly to suppose that they could do otherwise in any market and claim that their published commitment OF FIXED COST AND AFFORDABLE out-of-warranty repairs would only apply to France.

I have followed the topic of Minelab repairs for at least 5 years now. I am quite certain that this is the first time that they have EVER made such a statement. I have never seen any reference to either “fixed cost” or even “:affordable” out of warranty repairs on out of warranty products. They do regularly publish lists of no longer supported machines however.

My conclusion is that the amount of questioning on the forums and elsewhere of the Equinox control unit being sealed and therefore non-repairable and the non-removable battery have led them to make this unique commitment.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:58PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 02:58PM
Why so much hoopla over Equinox future repairs.

CTX, I didn't see such hoopla. And it cost twice as much.

Minelab's site says they will support all their detectors for X time after detector is discontinued.
[www.minelab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 03:04PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 03:06PM
I am not making “hoopla” - the hoopla has been all over the forums. Lots of owners and would-be-owners would like to know that their detector will not become a throw away item after the 3 year warranty is over. You refer to the CTX. I have no doubt that the persistent and well-documented problems with this machine - coupled with Minelab’s reputation for extremely expensive repair parts such as circuit cards are part of what slowly killed the market for that machine - oh and the fact that the price was silly.

Now we are perhaps seeing a new Minelab - one which understands that “service sells”. Their new US repair facility is getting well-earned high praise. Now if they will follow that up with more reasonable policy regarding out of warranty parts support costs, they can begin to rebuild what is at best a spotty reputation for customer support.

We all wish them well - this announcement - which I will repeat - cannot be limited to France, is another sign that they finally get it when it comes to maintaining brand loyalty.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 03:06PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 03:13PM
Thanks for your post Rick.
July 15, 2018 03:18PM
Well,
What I don't think I have ever seen a detector manufacturer do is....

Publish repair costs even before the first model detector sold publically is out of warranty (during first year of release).

Maybe they should, but 2 or 3 years is a lot of time for a manufacturer to put a tight price on repairs/service.

Seems some want to think Minelab is a crook or something or aren't forward looking enough with their products.
Really they are a major detector manufactierer.
Trying to sell detectors like all the rest.

One might be thinking after reading some comments here, this is the first detector (Equinox) Minelab has ever made.

Give me a break.

I notice, seems all or a great deal of the horror stories for repair wait times have disappeared since Minelab repair facility in USA moved.
I also have not heard anyone get the run around when they have indeed had a Nox unit fail.
This says something.

Remember I have been critical of Minelab in the past- for good reason too.

They have improved in areas it seems.
And maybe what I posted and others is what caused this improvement to happen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 03:30PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 03:29PM
Nobody expects ML to publish fixed repair prices now. The point is that they have publicly committed themselves to establishing these fixed and reasonable prices for repair/replacement - at some point.

They have never done that before as far as I can determine. It is BIG NEWS.

Thanks for the link - otherwise I would never have seen it - I don’t often go the ML’s webpage.

Rick Kempf
July 15, 2018 03:39PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Why so much hoopla over Equinox future repairs.
>
> CTX, I didn't see such hoopla. And it cost twice
> as much.
>
> Minelab's site says they will support all their de
> tectors for X time after detector is discontinued.
> [www.minelab.com]-
> notices/discontinued-products

The "hoopla" is very simple.
Suppose you inadvertently damage or dunk your Equniox and irreparably damage the control handle and recognize it is not a warrantable repair.
Run over it with a car by accident or drop a boulder on it while detecting,,,,will Minelab replace the control handle? Sure,,,,HOW MUCH AND WHEN?
They cannot at this time or choose not to divulge this information at this time but it is a situation that is occurring in real time and the Equinox owner at this time is sitting with no support from Minelab , either because of their shortsightedness or that the "modular throw away detector design" has painted them into the corner.
July 15, 2018 03:42PM
Not to wander off topic but I have spoken to the person I sold my EQ800 to and they experienced leaks in their unit. The unit was NOT submerged and only used in the rain and wading. They were told to send the unit in and now must wait because there are no parts available to repair the unit. No time frame mentioned when the parts would be available. Guess I am going to wait awhile more before I try purchasing a second EQ and hope they have their act together by then.
Thanks for sharing the info Rick.
July 15, 2018 03:44PM
Based on all evidence on the Forums to date, the control unit on the Nox is not repairable. It is totally welded shut and opening it is only possible with a saw.

Rick Kempf
July 15, 2018 05:49PM
Funny you should mention about running over a Nox. Someone ive been talking to is kind of getting the run around on it now. His mistake..... so hes willing to pay and is just trying to get them to do the repair/replacement. If they get around to doing his we may actually know the cost. Who knows..... they may replace it FREE if they arent willing to let the cat out of the bag yet.
July 15, 2018 08:08PM
I must admit, I was itching to find out what the deal on replacement would be. I was pretty sure - things being as they are - that fairly soon, somebody’s truck or their Rottweiler would necessitate an “out-of-warranty” replacement. Based on dew’s post above, I guess it has happened. Now they are stuck. Make it free (new owner, bad lunck, here’s a freebie) and it sets an expensive precedent. Set a price and they are stuck with that price from now on.

It’s a new world for ML. They have always (in the US anyway) had issues with repairing faults. Now they have apparently fixed that with the new folks in PA who are apparently doing a splendid job. The other part of the problem - besides the labor and administration - is the price of repair components. With Whites or First Texas (an presumably Garrett - although I have never used them) - the cost of replacement screens, boards, etc were “peanuts” - probably near their actual cost to the manufacturer. With Minelab, multi hundred dollar boards, etc, were common based on what I have seen on the forums.

Perhaps this device - the Equinox - which appears to be essentially unrepairable, may move ML to take the opportunity to build brand loyalty through “best in class” after-sales service including pricing for repair/replacement parts.

We’ll see.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 08:10PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 09:31PM
Rick you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. So TNSS deserved a public dressing down? No hoopla? You are the Hoopla master.

What is with all the bickering and backstabbing on this forum. Might as well call it Treasure Dump Florida edition.
July 15, 2018 09:58PM
Without my new topic, almost all of the non-European forum members would have been unaware of Minelab Europe’s major announcement of Equinox after warranty support, since I expect few of them are fascinated with the latest details of Minelab Europe’s support arrangements.

Hoopla? No, just doing the reading - and being pleasantly shocked by the 3rd paragraph of the announcement, and understanding the implication of what ML had posted.

I couldn't possibly be guilty of “Hoopla” - 60 years or so ago, I had to give my hula-hoop to my little sister - “my hips ain’t got no rhythm”. Lol

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 10:00PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 10:14PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> Rick you can lead a horse to water but you can't m
> ake him drink. So TNSS deserved a public dressing
> down? No hoopla? You are the Hoopla master.
>
> What is with all the bickering and backstabbing on
> this forum. Might as well call it Treasure Dump Fi
> lorida edition.

A public dressing down?
Don’t think so.
Seems one here, actually a few always seem to have a problem no matter what I post.
Been alright if just the link was posted and discussed in more detail, but a reference made to my posting sure wasn’t necessary.

So here’s the real deal.
Rick seems is wrapped around the axle with units/defective units ( Equinox).
That’s okay, the problem is he doesn’t seems to have had the same interest in say the Makro Multi Kruzer and other new releases.

I have not seen any data $$ wise posted really on any of the other new releases for repairs/defects.

We should be holding all manufacturers to the same standard.

Btw in case anyone wants to know.
A Minelab engineer actually reached out to me and I talked to them via tele.
Another engineer connected with Equinox project I have talked with electronally. (I will not disclose names).
These individuals seems did value my use and posting involving Equinox.
Two very nice folks too.

Imagine that they were interested in a rookie such as myself.
Maybe that should tell folks something.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 10:31PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 15, 2018 10:25PM
fwiw, I rarely bother to follow bald links, exp when the topic doesn't interest me. I do appreciate those of you that do and then post the relevant goodies from there.
July 15, 2018 10:57PM
Sooo, will the awards banquet be black tie and invitation only or will the commoners be allowed in----standing of course.?
July 15, 2018 11:18PM
Apologies all around if my referring to the original post of the link to the Minelab page was somehow out of order.

I suppose that I should have just posted the link to the same article with a description of what was truly significant about it without mentioning that the link was previously posted.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 11:20PM by lytle78.
July 15, 2018 11:20PM
July 15, 2018 11:26PM
Regardless of who posts what...it is better to provide links directly to the horse (in this case Minelab)...therefore hearing directly from the horses mouth. This would cut-down misquotes or biased statements for or against a brand/model. I say cut-down because in some cases what the horse says may not be clear and lead to many interpretations. Thanks
July 15, 2018 11:32PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:

>
> Btw in case anyone wants to know.
> A Minelab engineer actually reached out to me and
> I talked to them via tele.
> Another engineer connected with Equinox project I
> have talked with electronally. (I will not disclos
> e names).
> These individuals seems did value my use and posti
> ng involving Equinox.
> Two very nice folks too.
>
> Imagine that they were interested in a rookie such
> as myself.
> Maybe that should tell folks something.

The entire issue demonstrates pretty shallow thinking on the part of Minelab.

XP embraced the idea of modularity and the had sense to make their "modules" serviceable as well. They gave their customers great warranty service and long term support and gave them the ability to mix and match modules to create "lite" versions , permit multiple users and was upfront about the cost from the beginning. Minelab is now faced with customer punishing non-warranty repair cost or the threat that people can buy the control handle and coil separately , put them on a wooden broom handle(which is an improvement on the factory shaft) and have a hillbilly Equinox well below market price. At the same time, if the control handle pricing is typically Minelabian , no one in their right mind will own an Equinox after the warranty expires.
July 15, 2018 11:34PM
Traditional US manufacturers went to great lengths to support not currently produced detectors.

In my recent experience, Whites had a storeroom full of “bits” to fix decades old Whites detectors, even when it meant asking me if it was OK to use a serviceable used part - since no new parts are available.

Recently another US manufacturer has had to replace warranty units with a follow on model because the original unit used parts no longer available (something with is expressly permitted by any well drafted warranty clause).

Minelab took the very businesslike step of publishing the list of supported and non-supported detectors. It’s sensible.

The Equinox introduces a new factor due to its sealed nature. It cannot be repaired as far as anybody has determined. It is therefore incumbent on ML to tell us how this will be handled during and after warranty. They seem to be in the process of doing just that. That’s a good thing and will help build brand loyalty.

I spent several decades administering sales and purchase contracts - dealing with every sort of warranty claim on both the selling and buying side. It’s a subject which interests me.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 11:43PM by lytle78.
July 16, 2018 01:50AM
shoveler Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
>
> >
> > Btw in case anyone wants to know.
> > A Minelab engineer actually reached out to me an
> d
> > I talked to them via tele.
> > Another engineer connected with Equinox project
> I
> > have talked with electronally. (I will not discl
> os
> > e names).
> > These individuals seems did value my use and pos
> ti
> > ng involving Equinox.
> > Two very nice folks too.
> >
> > Imagine that they were interested in a rookie su
> ch
> > as myself.
> > Maybe that should tell folks something.
>
>
> The entire issue demonstrates pretty shallow think
> ing on the part of Minelab.
>
> XP embraced the idea of modularity and the had sen
> se to make their "modules" serviceable as well. Th
> ey gave their customers great warranty service and
> long term support and gave them the ability to mix
> and match modules to create "lite" versions , perm
> it multiple users and was upfront about the cost f
> rom the beginning. Minelab is now faced with custo
> mer punishing non-warranty repair cost or the thre
> at that people can buy the control handle and coil
> separately , put them on a wooden broom handle(whi
> ch is an improvement on the factory shaft) and hav
> e a hillbilly Equinox well below market price. At
> the same time, if the control handle pricing is ty
> pically Minelabian , no one in their right mind wi
> ll own an Equinox after the warranty expires.

Nice try Shoveler but no cigar.
Why?
Comparing Xp and Deus to Equnox not even fair.
You seem to forget one very important difference.
Deus was not offered to USA customers and maybe other countries for a pretty lengthy period.
So Xp had less unit sales probably, so smaller logistical support necessary.
Just look at the new facilities Xp has built in the last few years.

It is possible if one thinks about it, the Equinox due to popularity could be a logistical nightmare. Remember no manufacturer knows exactly how popular a u it will be and they definitely don’t know what competitive offerings a competitor may offer to possible take away from sales.

Minelab may indeed be facing a catch 22,meaning they have all hands / space on deck just primarily for actual manufacturer. Hence the accessory pieces are indeed delayed. In doing so it might indeed be impossible to:please all folks with all facets involved with Equinox series detectrors. Hopefully with time things will work themselves out.

No doubt a thirsty market exist for a light weight multi freq detecfor.
Maybe Minelab should have had a better idea on unit interest. Just based off of prior At Pro interest/sales. But remember things like Facebook, the internet in general is likely more/better used to reach the community now vs back in the day when the At Pro debuted.

I’ll bet there are many lessons learned being had by Minelab as far as Equinox goes.
And we may indeed hear about these in time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 01:51AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 16, 2018 02:17AM
A comparison between the Deus and Equinox is indeed not fair. A broken Deus controller with no warranty still has value , the Equinox controller in similar condition has none.

I think Minelab will have to put some type of "value added" clause to the Equniox control handle warranty to get them out of their disposable detector dilemma.

A core charge type redeemable value for the control pod , regardless of warranty or condition , might stop a warranty expiration exodus of the machine in a couple of years and could assuage the concerns of owners with warranty , that they will not be excessively punished for issues they may be responsible for. I'm sorry , the fact that they have no policy to deal with this scenario this far after introduction does not say much for the judgement of their management team or their field testers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 02:24AM by shoveler.
July 16, 2018 02:27AM
shoveler Wrote:
> I think Minelab will have to put some type of "val
> ue added" clause to the Equniox control handle war
> ranty to get them out of their disposable detector
> dilemma.
>
> A core charge type redeemable value for the contro
> l pod , regardless of warranty or condition , migh
> t stop a warranty expiration exodus of the machine
> in a couple of years and could assuage the concern
> s of owners with warranty , that they will not be
> excessively punished for issues they may be respon
> sible for. I'm sorry , the fact that they have no
> policy to deal with this scenario this far after i
> ntroduction does not say much for the judgement of
> their management team or their field testers.

That ; plus the fact that ML has not enough faith to offer more that a 3 year warranty.. At least XP has the good sense to offer a 5 year
warranty.

That said, it is nice to see that ML has worked to repair their damaged reputation regarding repairs.. There were people who waited months to get repairs done... now that
is at least down to a couple of weeks to a month

Micheal