Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bad Ground?????

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bad Ground?????
March 04, 2017 12:35AM
Was hunting an area where there were tailings all over the place. Big area near a big creek. It seemed the ground was like shield. My detector was not able to pick up anything. The iron was not so bad but the tones were all jumpy and would not lock in....I tried everything ever all metal then got another detector and the same thing happened. I'm thinking it may have been silent EMI. Have had this happen a couple of times in my days of hunting. The mineral bar was at half so not really bad dirt. I can't understand with all the land that I could not really get a good tone to dig???

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Bad Ground?????
March 04, 2017 01:15AM
Loaded with hotrocks? You said tailing piles.
March 04, 2017 02:13AM
First time I have ever had that problem..I walked about 200 yards away from the creek up a meadow and the same effect...?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 04, 2017 02:39AM
We're you carrying any different electronic device than you normally do?
March 04, 2017 02:45AM
No same phone that I hunt with....just weird ground like it was blanking my two detectors

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 04, 2017 03:33AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No same phone that I hunt with....just weird groun
> d like it was blanking my two detectors

A lot depends on what models your 2 detectors are, ?
March 04, 2017 05:49AM
Impact racer

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 04, 2017 05:53AM
An excess of Coke ( Burnt Coal ) and wood can and does drive some machines up the wall, and so does Railroad Slag, I have seen huge lumps of that sound off like hot rocks.

John.
March 04, 2017 10:10AM
Have you ever hunted that area before?
March 04, 2017 12:15PM
Get a Fisher.......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 12:15PM by cadman.
March 04, 2017 03:46PM
You were over a "hidden portal".
March 04, 2017 05:35PM
I don't think a fisher would get the job done. I have been there before but can't remember back 7 years. I was thinking of taking the deus and using the gold program that is for bad ground and seeing if that helps..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 04, 2017 10:49PM
Lowboy, I ran into a similar situation a few years ago on an old plantation site in SC. In an area about 1/10 acre in size all the detectors we tried gave a loud positive signal all over the place. Same response with Nautilus,Tesoro Fisher.

It was like there was a huge sheet of steel buried just under the surface.

I tried digging 3 foot deep test holes with post hole diggers to see if I could discern any reason for this,

Nothing was found, the soil appeared normal, no different from the surrounding area.

I don't think it was a dump because no iron was found in the test holes. The site dated from 1800-1870

I still have no answer to what was happening there.
March 05, 2017 01:08AM
High amounts of salt?
March 05, 2017 08:27AM
Was there bedrock near the surface? I have read that VLF detectors can't handle Basalt.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 05, 2017 04:05PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was there bedrock near the surface? I have read t
> hat VLF detectors can't handle Basalt.
>
> Tom

Not just VLF's my GP 3500 did not like it either, But my TDI SL Ignored it.
Re: Bad Ground?????bedrock
March 05, 2017 05:08PM
Yes bedrock all over the area but I have dug on land like that before and no problems...in fact my friend reminded me last time we hunted there about 7 years ago we dug a lot of good targets. So what happened. All I can think of is this year we had the most rain since the 1990s and maybe iron got so wet the ground just got masked...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 05, 2017 07:21PM
Is there a lot of alkali in your area?
Is there a lot of alkali in your area
March 05, 2017 07:54PM
Not that I'm aware of...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 06, 2017 03:46AM
To me it sounds like electrical interference. Most transmissions have harmonics in the signals and sometimes they match a frequency that messes up the detector. I've had that happen one day and then a return to the site a week later and everything is fine again.
March 06, 2017 02:30PM
What you describe sounds like you are overdriving the sensitivity for the site conditions assuming of courseyou got a good ground balance. What adjustments did you make with sensitivity? Usually I can find a stable sensitivity setting that will let me hunt. I may not like the low setting itself but the ground always has the last word and tells you what you levels you can use.

HH
Mike
March 06, 2017 03:06PM
Ole' Daniel TN. has the Hotest ground on the Forums. I am surprised He didn't answer the post?
March 06, 2017 07:44PM
The Ground in the Golden Triangle in Australia is about the worst, in quite a few places even the minelab GPX won't work there and VLF's are just a waste of time.