Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

.22 Bullets

Posted by Digger70pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
.22 Bullets
April 22, 2011 02:21AM
I have a F75 LTD & it is very sensetive to tiny things. It really likes .22 bullets. I love relic hunting so most of the time I dig any thing non ferris. What I'm wondering is how to tell the difference between a small shallow target like a .22 bullet compared to a .58 minnie ball at 8" ? I haven't had too much time on this machine yet & like to fall back on my CZ's when I get uncomfortable.
Re: .22 Bullets
April 22, 2011 03:36AM
Hello digger,in Tom's video he digs some 22 shells and reads them? I have 22 shells I know what they are and still have to use magnifying glass 2 read!''ole" eagle eye Tom or maybee i need glasses?
April 22, 2011 03:45AM
I think he's asking about the bullets, not the casings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 03:46AM by TerraDigger.
April 22, 2011 11:25AM
Yes, you can tell the difference........before digging. A .22 short projectile (29-grain) or a .22 Long Rifle projectile (40-grain) will audibly produce a very quick/short duration audio response; whereby......a .54-cal musket ball .58-cal Minnie will produce a much longer/broad audio response......for the amount of ground swept. This is a learning curve......but, fairly easy/short curve.
April 22, 2011 11:45AM
Thank you for the advice.
April 22, 2011 12:23PM
Only if the 22 is shallow I get that narrow zip zip sound otherwise I get the same full pinpoint sound. Detuning over the Target will help in telling the difference some. Buckshots and 22s can be a pain at times until you get in a nest of percussion capps.
April 22, 2011 01:27PM
Its all about size and weight relative the audio and once you learn a unit well you will know..Sounds like a newbie and would advise some experimenmtation. Guess we are all becoming meter dependent whereas the audio tells us a lot. Saw a fellow digging a monster hole in the park so felt assistance was needed..Yep audio covered a large area but the fellow wouldn't give up and wonder what he did with the large piece of pipe that he got out of that hole. More and more areas being closed due to these type of holes so learn your audio lest the hobby becomes non-existent..
April 23, 2011 02:01AM
Hey Guys You are better off digging those 22's if you are relic hunting for I have gotten 3 -$1 gold coins and my hunting buddy has gotten 4. This has been in the last 2 years of hunting old camps that were said to be hunted out..I'm not shooting the bull check out the Fisher guide on page 16 bottom left corner, besides Tom can verified what I'm saying. The 22's can come in at 22 to 24 give or take a number one way up or down, for you can have the ground or up averaging move this #. With the 7 gold coins most of them will read a 24 solid, one I dug in a 5x5 foot nail bed, I was running BP, 70 sen, 4 tones, 0 discm. with a ground of 82. Yes there is a lot of noise but you are just listing for that one pitch tone of the other 3 to sound..do a circle around the iron sound if you can still get a one sided pitch tone of the other 3 you best be digging. My average on these type targets is better than 60%, a non ferrous target with the iron..it takes practice.You may also look on the Fisher site under finds to see a write up I did about hunting, hunted out sites.. Just thought I had to say something so you all have more food for thought and re think digging those 22's, I love them and hate them, but that all changes with a $1 gold coin in the hole.. See ya and keep digging LiL John
Lil John.......Re: .22 Bullets
April 23, 2011 03:45AM
Excellent advice...........
April 23, 2011 12:04PM
Not a newbe Dan just a new detector. Been digging for about 14 years & have found alot of stuff.
Re: .22 Bullets( lots of input)
April 23, 2011 01:00PM
Digger my aplogizes seems like every unit has their quirks and even if user friendly time in the field is needed before one becomes comfortable..I might add along with that one dollar gold coin thats where a thin womens ring some with nice stones would fall so those that investigate get the ones others miss...
April 23, 2011 01:14PM
Hey LiL John,

How deep were those $1? Were any of them the type 1 variety? The one buried in my test bed records a consistent "13".
Rebel your answer as best as I can explain???
April 23, 2011 03:39PM
Hi Rebel To answer your questions here goes: Our $1's run between 3- 6" and all have been type 11 and111, that being said the type 1 is the same weight and has the same gold content. The difference is type 1 is 13 mm and 11and 111's are 15mm. Even in my test garden both will read 24 up or down with maybe 2 numbers difference, so lets say to cover it 22-27 this given the soil, ground balance and up average to some degree what near the target. The up average can be the wild card so just dig the targets...I'm a sound digger but I tend to look at the vdi just before I dig to see how careful or size hole to make. I think your coin is not in clean ground, could be slanted but it should read in the area that I have stated. I would dig that coin up and just check it on top of the ground { clean } area. Then I would put it back over the spot that it was in and check again.. I think you will have a learning experience or as Tom's way dig the coin up in a plug say a 8x8x8 inches and test it that way....There is a reason for that low reading, hope you can see it to figure it out...If not that shows you not all we think we know is correct, there are many variables to our hobby as far as vdi's. Keep Digging and learning, I do it everyday...LiL John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 03:43PM by LiL John.